Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Using pcmcia cards in a desktop

Using pcmcia cards in a desktop

Bret

As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
Any suggestions appreciated

JohnO

Bret wrote:
> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
> Any suggestions appreciated

Google found this right away:

http://www.pci-to-pcmcia.com/index.php

Bret

On 4 Apr 2006 19:10:31 -0700, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bret wrote:
>> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
>> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
>> Any suggestions appreciated

>Google found this right away:
>
>http://www.pci-to-pcmcia.com/index.php

Thanks for that JohnO,that's the sort of thing I am looking for, but I
was hoping someone knows where to source one in NZ

XPD

"Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
> Any suggestions appreciated

I know the type of thing you need but cant find any on my suppliers site...
Ill poke around and see what I find

thingy

Bret wrote:
> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
> Any suggestions appreciated

Some of the units that fit in a 3.5 inch floppy drive bay and connect
internally via USB or ide chain might be a possibility for you, DSE sell
them.

Otherwise DSE sell external ones that fit 7 + different memory cards, I
use one of them on my Mac, it might have a slot to suit you.

regards

Thing

Another Rob

Bret wrote:
> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
> Any suggestions appreciated

Ascent have this
http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=117323

which is a pci slot card and a 3.5" unit that takes 2 PC Cards (PCMCIA).
Not sure how it goes for non-data cards, but worth a shot.

rlj

Richard

XPD wrote:
> "Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
>>so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
>>Any suggestions appreciated

> I know the type of thing you need but cant find any on my suppliers site...
> Ill poke around and see what I find

Frequantly come up for wireless cards in the olden days, but be aware some dont
have a proper cardbus controller, just some glue logic to make the specific
pcmcia chipset couple to the pci bus.

If you put it in and it comes up as a texas instruments cardbus controller (or
some other brand) then you are all good to go, otherwise if it comes up as an
unknown device then you will only find that the specific wifi card will work.

Bret

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:34:56 +1200, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bret wrote:
>> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
>> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
>> Any suggestions appreciated

>Some of the units that fit in a 3.5 inch floppy drive bay and connect
>internally via USB or ide chain might be a possibility for you, DSE sell
>them.
>
>Otherwise DSE sell external ones that fit 7 + different memory cards, I
>use one of them on my Mac, it might have a slot to suit you.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

I had a look at the dse one and it seems they are 16 bit and the card
is 32 bit, I may ring them and see if anyone there has a clue

Bret

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:20:43 +1200, Another Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bret wrote:
>> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
>> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
>> Any suggestions appreciated

>Ascent have this
>http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=117323
>
>which is a pci slot card and a 3.5" unit that takes 2 PC Cards (PCMCIA).
>Not sure how it goes for non-data cards, but worth a shot.
>

>rlj

The manufacturers link says 16 bit and Telecom say it's a 32 bit card.
I'm not sure, I will google the card and see.

Mark Robinson

Bret wrote:
> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
> Any suggestions appreciated

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php...s+%2BPCI&all=0

Swap PCMCIA-USB 2.0 32 bit CardBus for 16bit PCMCIA card DONOTREPLY NZ Computing 1 05-12-2007 07:41 AM
Accessing PCMCIA modem cards? Guy Java 0 06-02-2004 05:34 PM
3600 routers and Flash cards(PCMCIA).... Captain Cisco 3 04-26-2004 03:54 AM
Is there a adapter for the 2611 which will allow you to use PCMCIA flash cards? Jim Saunders Cisco 0 10-18-2003 01:37 AM
PC Card/PCMCIA adapter for CF memory cards with WinNT laptop Gibben Digital Photography 0 07-11-2003 04:36 PM

Advertisments