Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HP Printers are "Zoned"...

HP Printers are "Zoned"...

whoisthis

We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.

He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
cartridges from the correct ZONE.

They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.

WHAT A CON JOB.

There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
able to keep profits high.

Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
customer !

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:05:36 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
>
>He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
>had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
>cartridges from the correct ZONE.
>
>They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
>information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
>
>WHAT A CON JOB.
>
>There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
>able to keep profits high.
>
>Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
>photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
>customer !

I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
ink is cheaper, too.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:05:36 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
> >We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
> >
> >He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
> >had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
> >cartridges from the correct ZONE.
> >
> >They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
> >information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
> >
> >WHAT A CON JOB.
> >
> >There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
> >able to keep profits high.
> >
> >Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
> >photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
> >customer !

> I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
> ink is cheaper, too.

Yeah but I use Macs and Canon has habitually been way behind in drivers
and we had nothing but problems with some Brother printers. I am leaning
towards Epson at this stage.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:31:38 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:05:36 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>> >We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
>> >
>> >He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
>> >had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
>> >cartridges from the correct ZONE.
>> >
>> >They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
>> >information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
>> >
>> >WHAT A CON JOB.
>> >
>> >There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
>> >able to keep profits high.
>> >
>> >Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
>> >photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
>> >customer !

>> I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
>> ink is cheaper, too.

>Yeah but I use Macs and Canon has habitually been way behind in drivers
>and we had nothing but problems with some Brother printers. I am leaning
>towards Epson at this stage.

Hmm, I've gone right off Epson inkjets. Their lasers are OK, but I've
found their inkjets to be a little short in the quality stakes. (not
as bad as Lexmarks of course, but still a little disappointing).

Rider

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
>
> He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
> had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
> cartridges from the correct ZONE.
>
> They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
> information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
>
> WHAT A CON JOB.
>
> There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
> able to keep profits high.
>
> Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
> photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
> customer !

Are you planning on going overseas with your printer?

Rider

Craig Whitmore

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wXpYf.10725$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
>>
>> He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
>> had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
>> cartridges from the correct ZONE.
>>
>> They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
>> information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.

If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
the phone to rezone the printer.

Thanks

Jerry

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wXpYf.10725$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
>>>
>>>He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
>>>had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
>>>cartridges from the correct ZONE.
>>>
>>>They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
>>>information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
>>>

> If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
> the phone to rezone the printer.
>
> Thanks

An Italian talking to an Indian about a printer in New Zealand. How
about recording that conversation for us

Peter Huebner

says...

> I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
> ink is cheaper, too.

YMMV. I bought a new printer about half a year ago, and I did extensive tests
comparing our one neighbour's brand new Canon battleship multifunction with the
other neighbour's HP24nn multifunction and I liked the print quality of the HP
better (blacker blacks, higher contrast).
I got the 2600 series HP with built-in NIC and it's fab. Don't miss the slide
scanning that the Canon has as standard equipment.

-P.

whoisthis

In article <wXpYf.10725$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
> >
> > He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
> > had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
> > cartridges from the correct ZONE.
> >
> > They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
> > information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
> >
> > WHAT A CON JOB.
> >
> > There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
> > able to keep profits high.
> >
> > Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
> > photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
> > customer !

> Are you planning on going overseas with your printer?
>
> Rider

No, but then again like DVDs, Books, Software, etc I WILL buy them
overseas if I can get them cheaper, zoning is simply an unwarranted
restrictive trade practice.

whoisthis

In article <44322e06$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Craig Whitmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wXpYf.10725$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
> >>
> >> He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
> >> had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
> >> cartridges from the correct ZONE.
> >>
> >> They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
> >> information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
> >>

> If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
> the phone to rezone the printer.
>
> Thanks

ONCE !