Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL Speeds

ADSL Speeds

news.xtra.co.nz

Hey there, just got back from vacation , and was keen to check the speed of
telecoms upgraded plans.

But, it seems no different.

Very disappointed, but not surprised.

Anyone know if they are still increasing the speeds? When?

Sorry in advance, probably someone already posted this somewhere but I am so
busy catching up from holiday.

Justin

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Hey there, just got back from vacation , and was keen to check the speed of
> telecoms upgraded plans.
>
> But, it seems no different.
>
> Very disappointed, but not surprised.
>
> Anyone know if they are still increasing the speeds? When?
>
> Sorry in advance, probably someone already posted this somewhere but I am so
> busy catching up from holiday.

Oh I am so underwhelmed at my offerings. The bulk of my usage is Windows
Updates for re/building client machines, the odd Linux ISO, occasional
P2P for an hour or so, general browsing, newsgroups and email. My
average usage is 2-4 Gig with regular bursts up to 8-10Gig (Say 1 in 4
months)

I can stay where I am and pay the same $45 per month.

Or I can pay the same and go from 256/128 to 2048/128 but half my
monthly cap from 10 Gig to 5 Gig.

Or I can pay $5 more to get the speed increase and the same cap.

My client has gone from paying $450 per month for "uncapped" (I suspect
this was 2048/256) speed and 5Gig traffic to $80 for 3584/512 and 20Gig
traffic per month. WTF!!!!

Bring on Local Loop unbundling and real competition I say.

Fishb8

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aXmYf.10656$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey there, just got back from vacation , and was keen to check the speed
> of telecoms upgraded plans.
>
> But, it seems no different.
>
> Very disappointed, but not surprised.
>
> Anyone know if they are still increasing the speeds? When?
>
> Sorry in advance, probably someone already posted this somewhere but I am
> so busy catching up from holiday.

According to Telecom's letter it will be "later" in the month. I was also
under the impression it would be from the start of April. Funny how so many
of us thought that. Is it delayed?

news.xtra.co.nz

"Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mrxYf.10774$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aXmYf.10656$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey there, just got back from vacation , and was keen to check the speed
>> of telecoms upgraded plans.
>>
>> But, it seems no different.
>>
>> Very disappointed, but not surprised.
>>
>> Anyone know if they are still increasing the speeds? When?
>>
>> Sorry in advance, probably someone already posted this somewhere but I am
>> so busy catching up from holiday.

> According to Telecom's letter it will be "later" in the month. I was also
> under the impression it would be from the start of April. Funny how so
> many of us thought that. Is it delayed?

Thanks for that - I thought it must have been something like that.

I think, last time they increased speeds it was done at change in billing
cycle (due to their crap implementation of billing).

OEquery

Got my letter last night and it said "from the end of april".

This implies that the spped increase will not even start until 1/5. This
really annoys me because the speed of my connection to the local exchange
has gone up to 4000k from 1/4 but my connection speed to the internet is
still reporting at 209k - 251k.

I rang xtra and a pleasant sounding guy checked it all out and said that
customers were being upgraded gradually and that it should be complete by
23/4.

Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger

Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mrxYf.10774$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aXmYf.10656$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey there, just got back from vacation , and was keen to check the speed
>> of telecoms upgraded plans.
>>
>> But, it seems no different.
>>
>> Very disappointed, but not surprised.
>>
>> Anyone know if they are still increasing the speeds? When?
>>
>> Sorry in advance, probably someone already posted this somewhere but I am
>> so busy catching up from holiday.

> According to Telecom's letter it will be "later" in the month. I was also
> under the impression it would be from the start of April. Funny how so
> many of us thought that. Is it delayed?

"OEquery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AvBYf.10795$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got my letter last night and it said "from the end of april".
>
> This implies that the spped increase will not even start until 1/5. This
> really annoys me because the speed of my connection to the local exchange
> has gone up to 4000k from 1/4 but my connection speed to the internet is
> still reporting at 209k - 251k.
>
> I rang xtra and a pleasant sounding guy checked it all out and said that
> customers were being upgraded gradually and that it should be complete by
> 23/4.
>
> Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger Bugger
> Bugger

Ah, I'm glad I read this message. I too was wondering why my ADSL router was
reporting a 4Mbps connect, but giving me the equivalent of 256Kbps download.
The buggers must still be rate limiting us via software.

Hmmmm....

Arkwright

I am with TelstraClear and was advised, along with others that we would get
the new speeds on 2 Apr. When I checked with them late afternoon 3 Apr they
said they had just been advised that it will now be 16 Apr.
I will believe it when I see it. Telescum's arrogant attitude strikes again.

Re: ADSL 2 speeds JohnO NZ Computing 2 07-19-2010 08:24 AM
High ADSL line rate but slow internet speeds Rats NZ Computing 14 10-21-2008 10:03 AM
Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download speeds =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?= Wireless Networking 3 09-15-2007 06:22 AM
Does this make sense? NZ ADSL speeds -=rjh=- NZ Computing 9 03-09-2005 08:05 AM
Core speeds and memory speeds??? Xeno Chauvin Computer Support 1 10-03-2003 03:21 AM

Advertisments