Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot and P2P

Slingshot and P2P

kriskirk@hotmail.com

Now that the new plans have taken effect, I'm re-evaluating my choice
of ISP (currently with Orcon).

I looked at Ihug but don't like the idea of being throttled back when I
go over my data cap, so next was Slingshot. Their prices seem pretty
good, and the extra data rates seem better than Orcon (e.g. $10 per
10gb instead of $10 per 5gb).

But, before I make a move, does anyone know if Slingshot do any traffic
shaping? Currently my biggest use of data is P2P and I'm getting mixed
results with Orcon (occasionally I get up to 60KBps but often it's down
to dial-up speeds!). Just wondering if anyone has had experience
downloading torrents on Slingshot?

Dave Taylor

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1144052277.566042.150370
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> Now that the new plans have taken effect, I'm re-evaluating my choice
> of ISP (currently with Orcon).

I do know that if I was DSL to DSL switch, I would be looking at Actrix
closely.

I was a Slingshot DUN customer and was very happy.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1144052277.566042.150370
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> But, before I make a move, does anyone know if Slingshot do any traffic
> shaping?

Call them? no wait, they charge for support, email?

--
Ciao, Dave

joe_90

Dave Taylor wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1144052277.566042.150370
> @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:
>
>> But, before I make a move, does anyone know if Slingshot do any traffic
>> shaping?

> Call them? no wait, they charge for support, email?

No they don't.

joe_90

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Now that the new plans have taken effect, I'm re-evaluating my choice
> of ISP (currently with Orcon).
>
> I looked at Ihug but don't like the idea of being throttled back when I
> go over my data cap, so next was Slingshot. Their prices seem pretty
> good, and the extra data rates seem better than Orcon (e.g. $10 per
> 10gb instead of $10 per 5gb).
>
> But, before I make a move, does anyone know if Slingshot do any traffic
> shaping? Currently my biggest use of data is P2P and I'm getting mixed
> results with Orcon (occasionally I get up to 60KBps but often it's down
> to dial-up speeds!). Just wondering if anyone has had experience
> downloading torrents on Slingshot?

Hard to say if they traffic shape given the nature of P2P, but their
T&C's certainly give them the option to do so -

"If you are on an "uncapped" or "unlimited" plan the total amount of
data you can upload or download is unlimited. We may use traffic
prioritisation policies for these plans and our capped plans at any time
to improve the overall performance amongst our customers."

Dave Taylor

joe_90 <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote in

>> Call them? no wait, they charge for support, email?

> No they don't.

They used to charge for DUN support...
I stand corrected.

--