Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Radeon 9550 and Divx player

Radeon 9550 and Divx player

SNOman

just replaced my old 32mb card with 9550 (256Mb) at the same time I
upgraded my divx player to 6.1 and now my divxs play like crap. The
bottom 1/3 of the screen is a blurred white and the rest of the screen
is a ghosted flickering image.

The same divx movies play perfectly through Win media player.

Going back to my earlier divx player doesn't solve anything.

Any ideas?

Mark Remfrey

SNOman wrote:
> just replaced my old 32mb card with 9550 (256Mb) at the same time I
> upgraded my divx player to 6.1 and now my divxs play like crap. The
> bottom 1/3 of the screen is a blurred white and the rest of the screen
> is a ghosted flickering image.
>
> The same divx movies play perfectly through Win media player.
>
> Going back to my earlier divx player doesn't solve anything.
>
> Any ideas?

You might want to check your Radeon drivers. I don't use the standard
ATI ones, these are much better.....

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

SNOman

Mark Remfrey wrote:
> SNOman wrote:
>> just replaced my old 32mb card with 9550 (256Mb) at the same time I
>> upgraded my divx player to 6.1 and now my divxs play like crap. The
>> bottom 1/3 of the screen is a blurred white and the rest of the screen
>> is a ghosted flickering image.
>>
>> The same divx movies play perfectly through Win media player.
>>
>> Going back to my earlier divx player doesn't solve anything.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> You might want to check your Radeon drivers. I don't use the standard
> ATI ones, these are much better.....
>
> http://www.omegadrivers.net/
>
> Regards,
> Mark Remfrey

better, how?

Mark Remfrey

SNOman wrote:
> Mark Remfrey wrote:
>> SNOman wrote:
>>> just replaced my old 32mb card with 9550 (256Mb) at the same time I
>>> upgraded my divx player to 6.1 and now my divxs play like crap. The
>>> bottom 1/3 of the screen is a blurred white and the rest of the
>>> screen is a ghosted flickering image.
>>>
>>> The same divx movies play perfectly through Win media player.
>>>
>>> Going back to my earlier divx player doesn't solve anything.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> You might want to check your Radeon drivers. I don't use the standard
>> ATI ones, these are much better.....
>>
>> http://www.omegadrivers.net/
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mark Remfrey

> better, how?

They're written by one of the guys who actually develops/tests the
Catalyst drivers for ATI. He writes his drivers as a hobby, and has
tweaked them for better results, including an overclocking feature which
won't exceed the limitations of the card.

It beggars the question of why they don't use his instead, but it's
probably an ATI thing.

Anyway, they look and feel exactly like the Catalyst drivers, and are
generally available before, or about the same time, that ATI release
their public Catalyst set.

I have used them since he started writing them, and they are rock-solid!

Just my recommendations, take it or leave it

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

David

SNOman wrote:
> just replaced my old 32mb card with 9550 (256Mb) at the same time I
> upgraded my divx player to 6.1 and now my divxs play like crap. The
> bottom 1/3 of the screen is a blurred white and the rest of the screen
> is a ghosted flickering image.
>
> The same divx movies play perfectly through Win media player.
>
> Going back to my earlier divx player doesn't solve anything.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you upgrade the actual divx codec or just divx player? Why would you
want to use it anyway? BTW, most days most "divxs" are actually XviD,
and divx doesn't do the best job of decoding them. You can get the XviD
codec from http://koepi.org/xvid.shtml, although getting DirectShow
based players to use it when Divx is installed is another story, Divx
always sets itself as highest priority and loads itself every time you
open an MPEG4 file to enforce this.
The best way is probably to uninstall Divx completely, as XviD can
decode divx files, and it lets you encode too, for free and with
superior quality.

scoot

Heres something that might interest you about your card

http://www.168pin.co.uk/gfxflash/

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ng/vidcard/107

news:M_1Yf.10365$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SNOman wrote:
>> just replaced my old 32mb card with 9550 (256Mb) at the same time I
>> upgraded my divx player to 6.1 and now my divxs play like crap. The
>> bottom 1/3 of the screen is a blurred white and the rest of the screen is
>> a ghosted flickering image.
>>
>> The same divx movies play perfectly through Win media player.
>>
>> Going back to my earlier divx player doesn't solve anything.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> Did you upgrade the actual divx codec or just divx player? Why would you
> want to use it anyway? BTW, most days most "divxs" are actually XviD, and
> divx doesn't do the best job of decoding them. You can get the XviD codec
> from http://koepi.org/xvid.shtml, although getting DirectShow based
> players to use it when Divx is installed is another story, Divx always
> sets itself as highest priority and loads itself every time you open an
> MPEG4 file to enforce this.
> The best way is probably to uninstall Divx completely, as XviD can decode
> divx files, and it lets you encode too, for free and with superior
> quality.

SNOman

Very cool

might give this a go