Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Orinoco Wireless Card Problems

Orinoco Wireless Card Problems

Mike Schumann

I have two Sony laptops: An SRX-87 with a built in Orinoco mini PCI
Wireless Card, and a R505TL with an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.

Both laptops are running Windows XP SP2.

In the last few days, I have been have a LOT of problems with the wireless
in both laptops. When I click on View Available Networks, neither laptop
sees any networks, eventhough they are located 3 ft from my Wireless Router
(a brand new D-Link DI-524). I was having the same problem using my Linksys
WAP-11 Access Point.

At the same time, my son's E-Machines desktop (also Windows XP SP2), with a
Belkin USB Wireless dongle is working just fine, and sees both my D-Link
router, as well as two other access points in the neighborhood.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on with my
Orinoco cards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

--
Mike Schumann

Yi Chen [MSFT]

Click on Start, go to Run and type in "ncpa.cpl", Right click on your
wireless network adapter and select
properties, check whether you see the "Wireless Network tab", click on that,
check whether the check box
"Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is checked.
Also check whehter your driver is updated, by clicking on the "General" tab
and choose General tab again to check your adapter is working properly.
Under the Driver tab check your driver version, and upgrade to the latest
version if it is too old.
Also when you click on view available network, do you see any networks at
all?

Yi
news:(E-Mail Removed)...