Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL "Pulsing"

ADSL "Pulsing"

~misfit~

Has anyone else got a graphical display running of their UBS ADSL speed
running?

I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern, dropping
back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute. I'm with Axtrix so
don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just Actrix UBS or just me. It's
been going on for quite a while now, here's a shot of my DU Meter display
from 5 minutes ago:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1143980374.jpg

The download speeds are also corroborated by Azureus or whatever I'm using
to download at the time, If anyone doubts that this is happening
consistantly to my connection I can post more screenies. In fact, it's been
a while now, I'll grab another......

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1143980766.jpg

There ya go, I left the whole desktop in that one, including this message.
It's 12:27 am and Azureus is running.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone care to test? I'm wondering (WARNING!!!
Conspiracy theory!!) if it's maybe something Telecom's doing to disrupt VoIP
or Video over IP on UBS. Some more data would be nice. It's a consistant
~60-second interval thing for me.

Can someone please check their connection while downloding heavilly? I
believe DU Meter has a free 30 day trial, or maybe there's some other
software you prefer to use to give a graphical representation.

Cheers,
--
~Shaun~ (I've just grabbed it again to show you as I was taking my time
typing, watching it. I made DU Meter's display brighter instead of

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1143981260.jpg

That one may be clearer)

colinco

In article ~misfit~ says...
> Anyone else seeing this? Anyone care to test? I'm wondering (WARNING!!!
> Conspiracy theory!!) if it's maybe something Telecom's doing to disrupt VoIP
> or Video over IP on UBS. Some more data would be nice. It's a consistant
> ~60-second interval thing for me.

More likely cockup theory. Telecom would probably pick some method that
wouldn't be so obvious and result in this type of publicity. Perhaps
it's the heavy downloading.

Brendan

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:35:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern, dropping
> back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute. I'm with Axtrix so
> don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just Actrix UBS or just me. It's
> been going on for quite a while now, here's a shot of my DU Meter display
> from 5 minutes ago:

Doesn't happen with my UBS/orcon...

--

.... Brendan

#14258 +(3697)- [X]

<Sigurd> a sprite is anything not static
<SRElysian> a sprite is a variable object
<SRElysian> be it 2d or 3d
<TorMuck> a sprite is a ****ing soda
<TorMuck> you god damn geekass bastards

Note: All my comments are copyright 3/04/2006 10:14:04 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

~misfit~

Brendan wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:35:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern,
>> dropping back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute.
>> I'm with Axtrix so don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just
>> Actrix UBS or just me. It's been going on for quite a while now,
>> here's a shot of my DU Meter display from 5 minutes ago:

> Doesn't happen with my UBS/orcon...

Hmm, Ok, thanks for that. Anyone else noticing it?
--
~Shaun~

~misfit~

colinco wrote:
> In article ~misfit~ says...
>> Anyone else seeing this? Anyone care to test? I'm wondering
>> (WARNING!!! Conspiracy theory!!) if it's maybe something Telecom's
>> doing to disrupt VoIP or Video over IP on UBS. Some more data would
>> be nice. It's a consistant ~60-second interval thing for me.
>>

> More likely cockup theory. Telecom would probably pick some method
> that wouldn't be so obvious and result in this type of publicity.
> Perhaps it's the heavy downloading.

It only happens overnight when there seems to be more bandwidth available.
During the day I can't get enough of a download going to see the effect so
clearly. (Although the cyclic trend is still there, just not as obvious).
--
~Shaun~

Troggles

~misfit~ wrote:
> Brendan wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:35:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>

>>>I've noticed that it seems to run in a sort of sine wave pattern,
>>>dropping back to almost zero data throughput about once a minute.
>>>I'm with Axtrix so don't know if it's happening to all UBS, just
>>>Actrix UBS or just me. It's been going on for quite a while now,
>>>here's a shot of my DU Meter display from 5 minutes ago:

>>Doesn't happen with my UBS/orcon...

> Hmm, Ok, thanks for that. Anyone else noticing it?

Rock solid. But erhm, I'm with (shush) xtra. but don't tell anyone.