Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot using India call center?

Slingshot using India call center?

Craig Shore

Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.

Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

Craig Shore wrote:
> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
>
> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?

What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
Saturday?

Craig Shore

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:46:40 +1200, k <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
>> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
>> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
>> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
>> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
>> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
>>
>> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?
>>

>What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?
>
>What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
>Saturday?

The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:46:40 +1200, k <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Craig Shore wrote:
>>> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
>>> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
>>> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
>>> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
>>> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
>>> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
>>>
>>> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?
>>>

>> What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?
>>
>> What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
>> Saturday?

> The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as
> 0000

Ahh yes, '0000'

The only reason I asked is that they also have a bit of a
telecommunications provider division too, don't they?

In which case they'd have all sorts of telephony trickery going on.

I didn't think they'd stoop that low but then all things considered, I
think you're right

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:04:42 +1200, k <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Craig Shore wrote:

>>> What did the caller-id have as the number when you missed the calls?
>>>
>>> What gave your the impression it was from overseas when they called on
>>> Saturday?

>> The phone came up with "Overseas Call" on it's screen and the caller number as
>> 0000
>>

>Ahh yes, '0000'
>
>The only reason I asked is that they also have a bit of a
>telecommunications provider division too, don't they?
>
>In which case they'd have all sorts of telephony trickery going on.
>
>I didn't think they'd stoop that low but then all things considered, I
>think you're right

We had the same deal, someone called from an Indian call centre asking
us to switch to Slingshot.

Told them politely that we weren't interested. They asked why. I told
them that, amongst other things, we prefer to support companies that
support New Zealand, rather than outsourcing overseas. Whilst they
didn't explicitly confirm they were calling from overseas (it was
pretty obvious they were, anyway) they didn't deny it either.

Tony

Had a definitely Indian sounding dude call about a month ago for
Slingshot tolls as well. Not sure where they get their list for though
as he had no idea that I was already a Slingshot tolls customer.

Craig Shore wrote:
> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
>
> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and
> they
> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone
> really
> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a
> message.
> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home.
> It was
> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to
> switch
> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
>
> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their
> work?

You are not the only one... A few people on Geekzone complained of their
"approach", quite pushy and with no knowledge of the local landscape in
terms of products and services for broadband and telephony:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...9&TopicId=7186

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

RJ

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Last week we had missed several overseas calls (we have caller ID) and they
> hadn't left a message. I thought it was a bit strange because if someone really
> needed to get hold of us they could have called our mobiles or left a message.
> Then we received another call on Sat 25th at 7:08pm while we were home. It was
> a call from overseas by a peson, probably from India, trying to get me to switch
> to Slingshot toll calls and internet access.
>
> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

They are extremely cheap

David Empson

Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We had the same deal, someone called from an Indian call centre asking
> us to switch to Slingshot.

Me too, about a month or two ago.

At the time I had a dial-up Internet connection with Actrix, and they
were trying to convince me to switch to Slingshot for my dial-up
Internet and tolls.

I explained that I wasn't interested in changing to another Internet
Service Provider because that would involve changing my e-mail address.
They said that I could could keep the same e-mail address. Only the part
after the @ sign would change.

They also tried to convince me that I would save money: I was paying
about $18.95 a month for my Actrix plan, and Slingshot would be about a
dollar cheaper for a similar plan, as long as I switched to Slingshot
for my toll calls, and made at least $10 of calls a month. I pointed out
that I make almost no toll calls from my landline, certainly never $10 a
month, and they were still trying to convince me that I was going to
save money.

Sigh.
--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Stu Fleming

Craig Shore wrote:

> Don't Slingshot make enough bread to pay people living in NZ to do their work?

Maybe they should sign up with a cheap call provider...oh, hang on...