Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra ADSL Speed

Xtra ADSL Speed

Jeff

Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.

Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result is
249Kbps. Bugger,

It is my hope that the 4000 figure was a precurser of things to come and
that Xtra just havent finished implementing their speed increases.

Does anyone know if this has to be done in several steps?

Me.

Peter

Jeff wrote:
> Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
> the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.
> Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result
> is 249Kbps. Bugger,

As I understand it, there is a hardware speed relating to the link between
your modem and the telephone exchange. The speed you get here depends on
the length and quality of the copper wire to your house, and the quality of
connections along the way.
The connection bandwidth is regulated by Telecom further up the line.

In our case, the hardware speed is typically 96 or 128 kbps (because we live
so far from the exchange, nearly 3km) - so it doesn't matter what plan we
buy, bandwidth is limited by that 96 or 128 kpbs connection.

HTH

Peter

Jeff

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff wrote:
>> Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
>> the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.
>> Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result
>> is 249Kbps. Bugger,

> As I understand it, there is a hardware speed relating to the link between
> your modem and the telephone exchange. The speed you get here depends on
> the length and quality of the copper wire to your house, and the quality
> of
> connections along the way.
> The connection bandwidth is regulated by Telecom further up the line.
>
> In our case, the hardware speed is typically 96 or 128 kbps (because we
> live
> so far from the exchange, nearly 3km) - so it doesn't matter what plan we
> buy, bandwidth is limited by that 96 or 128 kpbs connection.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

We are probably within 800metres to the exchange here in Kilbirnie,
Wellington.

Last time I bothered to have a look, the connection speed showing on my
modem was very close to 256k which is the speed of my connection.

As I said, I really really hope that by the time I have finished cleaning up
around the house, I can download some files at the new speed of 3.5Kbps.

I am willing to wait for at least another, oh maybe 10 mins

Me

Pacific Dragon

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 10:22:38 +1200, Jeff wrote:

> Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
> the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.
>
> Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result is
> 249Kbps. Bugger,
>
> It is my hope that the 4000 figure was a precurser of things to come and
> that Xtra just havent finished implementing their speed increases.
>
> Does anyone know if this has to be done in several steps?

I got a letter today from Xtra saying that they will start upgrading our
connection from the "end of April".

Unfortunately for me, it looks like I won't beable to get the full
3.5Mbits anyway judging by the new speed I obtained (need a connect speed
of around 4.4 Mbits and above to account for all the inherent overheads).

Rastus

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:22:38 +1200, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
>the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.
>
>Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result is
>249Kbps. Bugger,
>
>It is my hope that the 4000 figure was a precurser of things to come and
>that Xtra just havent finished implementing their speed increases.
>
>Does anyone know if this has to be done in several steps?
>
>Me.

If I understand things correctly, Xtra only provide the speed between
themselves and our phone socket. How fast we actually download depends
on a number of things like the speed of the site you are downloading
from etc.

colinco

In article Peter says...
> As I understand it, there is a hardware speed relating to the link between
> your modem and the telephone exchange. The speed you get here depends on
> the length and quality of the copper wire to your house, and the quality of
> connections along the way.

Only true for the full speed business Jetstream.

> The connection bandwidth is regulated by Telecom further up the line.

Telecom also limit the connection speed of rate limited plans to plan
speed plus some overhead.

> In our case, the hardware speed is typically 96 or 128 kbps (because we live
> so far from the exchange, nearly 3km) - so it doesn't matter what plan we
> buy, bandwidth is limited by that 96 or 128 kpbs connection.

3km by itself should still allow ~6M down 700k up unless there were
problems with the line

Enkidu

Peter wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
>>Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
>>the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.
>>Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result
>>is 249Kbps. Bugger,

> As I understand it, there is a hardware speed relating to the link between
> your modem and the telephone exchange. The speed you get here depends on
> the length and quality of the copper wire to your house, and the quality of
> connections along the way.
> The connection bandwidth is regulated by Telecom further up the line.
>
> In our case, the hardware speed is typically 96 or 128 kbps (because we live
> so far from the exchange, nearly 3km) - so it doesn't matter what plan we
> buy, bandwidth is limited by that 96 or 128 kpbs connection.

It should be better than that. The speed of ADSL doesn't start to drop
off until about 2km from the exchange ADSL equipment. At 3km you should
still manage to get about 6Mbps.

http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm

Cheers,

Cliff

Jeff wrote:
> Got all excited this morning when I logged into my ADSL modem and checked
> the connection speed. It was showing at 4000 odd Kbps.
>
> Connected to an external site that tesed connection speed and the result is
> 249Kbps. Bugger,
>
> It is my hope that the 4000 figure was a precurser of things to come and
> that Xtra just havent finished implementing their speed increases.
>
> Does anyone know if this has to be done in several steps?
>
> Me.

Don't you divide the bit speed by 8 to roughly get an idea of the byte
speed?

Using that forumula, a 4000Kbits a second should give something along
the lines of 500KBytes a second? My 256Kbits a second connection gives a
maximum of 32KBytes a second transfer speed

In that case, you're getting half your maximum line speed.

Then again, I can't say I've ever seen much more than 200KBytes a second
transfer speeds here in little old New Zealand

Waylon Kenning

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:56:22 +1200, k wrote:

> Then again, I can't say I've ever seen much more than 200KBytes a second
> transfer speeds here in little old New Zealand

I used to get around 250KB/sec downloading from Microsoft servers, however
this was an exception, not really the norm.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Craig Whitmore

> I used to get around 250KB/sec downloading from Microsoft servers, however
> this was an exception, not really the norm.

download.microsoft.com and other Akamaied content is Local NZ traffic

Thanks
Craig

xtra - adsl - speed canon paora NZ Computing 4 11-30-2006 09:46 PM
xtra adsl speed J.Wilson NZ Computing 8 11-30-2006 01:22 AM
How to calculate theoretical max download speed from upload speed (ADSL) ? GraB NZ Computing 5 10-29-2006 10:14 AM
leaving ihug ADSL to go to xtra ADSL, am I mad?? Max NZ Computing 15 03-08-2004 12:12 AM