Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vint Cerf

Vint Cerf

Roger_Nickel

On National Radio Now (9.15)

Richard

Roger_Nickel wrote:
> On National Radio Now (9.15)

is a reply availbel of this on any of the usual sources?

Peter

Richard wrote:
> Roger_Nickel wrote:
>> On National Radio Now (9.15)

> is a reply availbel of this on any of the usual sources?

on line at RadioNZ
http://www.radionz.co.nz/nr/programmes/saturday

Shane

Peter wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> Roger_Nickel wrote:
>>> On National Radio Now (9.15)

>> is a reply availbel of this on any of the usual sources?

> on line at RadioNZ
> http://www.radionz.co.nz/nr/programmes/saturday

Awesome to hear him speak (heard it live and then again via internet radio)
One concern I have about his interview, is his comments on Googles attempt
to deliver 'better' search results
His example was, if someone does a search for "Robert Louis Stevenson" you
will get results of the author, but (if one exists) you will get results
concerning Robert Louis Stevenson 12 Te Rapa drive Hamilton, thus google
wants to tailor results so that you only get the results you desire ( you
skew it towards the author, or towards the other entry depending on what
you want)
This horrifys me, because I would never have found the rabbit hole, nor have
any idea how deep it was, without accidental search results thrown back at
me by google. IOW I would never have known to deliberately search for some
things that put me onto something Ive come to really like... comp sci
Im *sure* Im not the only one, and this doesnt only apply to my subject of
choice, so IMO (humble my ass) google shouldnt over refine what they have
</rant>