Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 3.5mbit?

3.5mbit?

David

Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's
the bet most people wont notice any difference?

PC

news:9m7Xf.9864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
> kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
> for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's the
> bet most people wont notice any difference?

Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)

P.

Philip

PC wrote:
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9m7Xf.9864$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
>> kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
>> for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's the
>> bet most people wont notice any difference?

> Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
>
> P.

It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
government.

In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.

Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle, and Vodafone's
"broadband" business is delivering mobile access at mobile phone prices,
which is nothing to do with what most customers want from fixed-line
broadband.

But once again, some Treasury nincompoop will nod sagely and say "that
means that Telecom isn't a monopoly and so doesn't have to be unbundled
or regulated".

How do broadband users ever get past this mountain of bullsh that
Telecom feeds government? I dunno.

Philip

~misfit~

Philip wrote:
> PC wrote:
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:9m7Xf.9864$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to
>>> 3744 kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around
>>> 1400kbps. So much for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any
>>> difference anyway. What's the bet most people wont notice any
>>> difference?

>> Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
>> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247
>> KByte/s) P.
>>

> It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
> without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
> snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean
> you are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better
> to the government.
>
> In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a
> Telecom broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
>
> Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle, and Vodafone's
> "broadband" business is delivering mobile access at mobile phone
> prices, which is nothing to do with what most customers want from
> fixed-line broadband.
>
> But once again, some Treasury nincompoop will nod sagely and say "that
> means that Telecom isn't a monopoly and so doesn't have to be
> unbundled or regulated".
>
> How do broadband users ever get past this mountain of bullsh that
> Telecom feeds government? I dunno.

It's disgusting isn't it? I'm thinking that the only reason to go to 3.5M is
to be able to grab some data quickly if/when a window of opportunity opens
due to the ridiculously high contention ratios.

At least this issue is getting some media coverage. Let's hope that some
savvy reporters stick with it and get the message through to the people.
--
~Shaun~

RJ

In article <442dfd75$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> PC wrote:
> > "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:9m7Xf.9864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
> >> kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
> >> for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's the
> >> bet most people wont notice any difference?

> > Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
> > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
> >
> > P.
> >

> It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
> without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
> snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
> are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
> government.
>
> In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
> broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
>
> Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

Is that anyones fault but their own

Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

shannon

RJ wrote:
> In article <442dfd75$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>PC wrote:
>>
>>>"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:9m7Xf.9864$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
>>>http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
>>>
>>>P.
>>>

>>It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
>>without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
>>snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
>>are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
>>government.
>>
>>In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
>>broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
>>
>>Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

> Is that anyones fault but their own
>
> Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

Woosh is the sound of the point going over your head

David

RJ wrote:
> In article <442dfd75$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> PC wrote:
>>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:9m7Xf.9864$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
>>> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
>>>
>>> P.
>>>

>> It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
>> without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
>> snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
>> are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
>> government.
>>
>> In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
>> broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
>>
>> Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

> Is that anyones fault but their own
>
> Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

Vodafone & Telecom Mobile aren't?

RJ

In article <ULHXf.10181$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> RJ wrote:

> >> It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
> >> without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
> >> snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
> >> are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
> >> government.
> >>
> >> In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
> >> broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
> >>
> >> Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

> > Is that anyones fault but their own
> >
> > Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

> Vodafone & Telecom Mobile aren't?

Wireless last mile services
not the same thing
Its actually local loop infrastructure

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

> > Vodafone & Telecom Mobile aren't?

> Wireless last mile services
> not the same thing
> Its actually local loop infrastructure

As used by Telecom in the King Country where a wireless link to remote
communities has been used for decades.