Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC IQ Test

PC IQ Test

MarkH

Collector╗NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:442ba045$(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
>
> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you
> got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again
> and see if you do as well as me.

I thought I would try the standard test as well - 23/25

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

~misfit~

Collector╗NZ wrote:
> XPD wrote:
>> "Collector╗NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:442ba045$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
>>>
>>> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score
>>> you got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try
>>> again and see if you do as well as me.

>> Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
>> Im seeing answers but no questions.
>>

> I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

How the hell do I enable java in Firefox? It's been bugging me.
--
~Shaun~

Jerry

Jerry wrote:
> Collector╗NZ wrote:
>
>> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
>>
>> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you
>> got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again
>> and see if you do as well as me.
>>

> it doesn't load here, FF gives a blank site with "transferring data".
> The site might be down, I'll try again later.

adblock is stopping it.

Mark Robinson

~misfit~ wrote:
> Collector´┐ŻNZ wrote:
>> XPD wrote:
>>> "Collector´┐ŻNZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:442ba045$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
>>> Im seeing answers but no questions.
>>>

>> I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

> How the hell do I enable java in Firefox? It's been bugging me.

Install the Web developer extension ... it gives great control over many
aspects of the browser's behaviour.

You should however be able to turn java and javascript off with Edit |
Preferences | Content then uncheck the appropriate boxes. The menu options are
probably different under Windows.

~misfit~

Mark Robinson wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Collector?NZ wrote:

>>> I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

>> How the hell do I enable java in Firefox? It's been bugging me.

> Install the Web developer extension ... it gives great control over
> many aspects of the browser's behaviour.

Ok, thanks.

> You should however be able to turn java and javascript off with Edit |
> Preferences | Content then uncheck the appropriate boxes. The menu
> options are probably different under Windows.

Ta. I think it's actually Flash that I need to enable. Much as I dislike the
idea, some sites need it.
--
~Shaun~

Mercury

Geeze, my computer is rather stupid - it scored only 76%.

"Collector╗NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:442ba045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
>
> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got,
> well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if
> you do as well as me.
>

> --
> >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

> ================================================== ====================
> | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
> ================================================== ====================

juicyjuice

true, i refreshed my brain.. and came to realize once again in my old age..
that the higher frequency makes it possible to send data faster therefore
more data is arriving quicker making it a broader arrival per second. The
name does throw you off tho.. one pictures a 'broadband' as a wider medium,
but the medium is the same size, just rotating at a faster speed. When does
this spinning wheel burn out? 24mbit is the current limit... another issue
again i spose..

thanks.

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:442c3b81$(E-Mail Removed)...
> juicyjuice wrote:
>> 52 / 60
>> 87%
>>
>> was wondering about the question on 'what broadband refers too?'
>>
>> the obvious answer available was 'speed of an internet connection'
>>
>> however i chose 'none of the above' as it means the width of the
>> connection not speed.
>>
>> am I right?
>>

> Since your modem is a serial device, all connections are 1 bit wide,
> whether dial-up or fast broadband.

Jerry

juicyjuice wrote:
> true, i refreshed my brain.. and came to realize once again in my old age..
> that the higher frequency makes it possible to send data faster therefore
> more data is arriving quicker making it a broader arrival per second. The
> name does throw you off tho.. one pictures a 'broadband' as a wider medium,
> but the medium is the same size, just rotating at a faster speed. When does
> this spinning wheel burn out? 24mbit is the current limit... another issue
> again i spose..

The term is misused when you use it to refer to transmission speeds
actually. http://dict.die.net/bandwidth/

bandwidth

<communications> The difference between the highest and lowest
frequencies of a transmission channel (the width of its
allocated band of frequencies).

The term is often used erroneously to mean data rate or
capacity - the amount of data that is, or can be, sent
through a given communications circuit per second.

The term actually belongs in FM radio, if a modulated signal shifts from
99.5MHz to 100.5MHz the bandwidth is 1 MHz.

MarkH

Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:442d9fda$(E-Mail Removed):

> The term is misused when you use it to refer to transmission speeds
> actually. http://dict.die.net/bandwidth/
>
> bandwidth
>
> <communications> The difference between the highest and lowest
> frequencies of a transmission channel (the width of its
> allocated band of frequencies).
>
> The term is often used erroneously to mean data rate or
> capacity - the amount of data that is, or can be, sent
> through a given communications circuit per second.
>
> The term actually belongs in FM radio, if a modulated signal shifts
> from 99.5MHz to 100.5MHz the bandwidth is 1 MHz.

From the same page:
bandwidth
n : a data transmission rate; the maximum amount of information
(bits/second) that can be transmitted along a channel

It seems that the language has evolved and now bandwidth has a new meaning.
In fact with so many new things that computing brings into our lives there
are many new words and new definitions of old words that have come into
existence.

If you choose to believe that each word in the english language can only
have one definition then you may have a few problems with the language.

Here's a language related question for anyone interested:
To escalate means to lift or raise, is that how the escalator got its name?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Brendan

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:07:29 +1200, Collector╗NZ wrote:

> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
>
> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got, well
> its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if you do as
> well as me.

56/60

I got 10/10 out of the short test.

--

.... Brendan

#75154 +(3706)- [X]

<Galactic> you know what's ALWAYS bothered me? cold cereal mascots
<Galactic> I mean that is just some ****ED UP ****
<Galactic> the Trix rabbit, for example
<Galactic> I dunno man... if I were him I'd be ****ing KILLING some kids
<Galactic> I remember a commercial where the ****in rabbit WENT INTO A
****IN STORE AND BOUGHT A BOX OF TRIX WITH HIS OWN ****IN MONEY.
<Galactic> ****in kids came outta NOWHERE and basically ****in mug the
poor stupid bitch rabbit
<Galactic> "silly rabbit Trix are for kids"
<Galactic> ****in rabbit just sits there and looks depressed.
<Galactic> **** NO that wouldn't fly with me
<Galactic> I'd have pimp-slapped EVERY ONE OF those ****in bitches
<Galactic> and made them go get me the REST of a "complete breakfast" and
eat Trix right in front of them bitches and THEN beat the **** out of them
some more.
<Galactic> and wtf is with the disguises? All the dumb rabbit does is hide
his ears and all of a sudden he's a ****in kid?
<Galactic> I dunno about you, but if I SAW a 6 foot ****in RABBIT with his
ears tucked under a baseball cap, I wouldn't immediately think
<Galactic> "Hey, there's a cool lookin human kid, let me go over and share
some of my cereal with him"
<Galactic> NO.
<Galactic> I'd be thinking
<Galactic> "that's a 6 foot ****in RABBIT with his ears tucked under a
baseball cap... what the **** was I just smoking?"
<Galactic> another thing... wtf is up with cereal being "A part of this
complete breakfast"
<Galactic> last time -I- checked, cereal WAS breakfast
<Galactic> they show a big ass bowl of frosted flakes next to a waffle, a
pancake, toast, a banana, a ****in grapefruit... who the **** eats a
breakfast that big
<Flaming_Duck> not me
<Flaming Duck> I don't even EAT breakfast nomore
<Flaming_Duck> I mean, I eat when I get up
<Flaming_Duck> but the whole thought "BREAKFAST IS ONLY SERVED UNTIL SUCH
AND SUCH TIME"
<FLaming_Suck> bitch, you make my ****ing sausage and egg sandwich when I
pay you the ****ing money
<Flaming_Duck> don't give me that ****.
<Galactic> Back to stupid cereal mascots...
<Galactic> Lucky Charms.
<Galactic> ****ING LUCKY CHARMS
<Galactic> Lucky can turn the ****ing MOON into a marshmallow, and he
can't escape a bunch of ****ing 6 year olds?!?!?
<Galactic> C'mon now, Lucky.
<Galactic> I KNOW your bitch ass has got to have a "Blow the ****ing kids
up" spell SOMEWHERE
<Galactic> or make "kid marshamllows" and EAT those bitches.
<Galactic> "They're after me Lucky Charms!"
<Galactic> ....
<Galactic> KILL THEM, BITCH!
<Galactic> I dunno why I went off on this rant here
<Galactic> it's just always bothered me."

Note: All my comments are copyright 31/03/2006 7:12:58 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.