Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sysadmins/engineers

Looking for 2 fulltime enterprise experienced Windows Senior sysadmins/engineers

thingy

Hi All,

One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
the main focus.

The second engineer will be AD, policies, EMC SANS, MS clustering focused.

75% of the time (even 100%) this job will be project work, remianing
supporting level 2 as needed. Lots of servers to be rebuilt this year,
server consolidation, new clustering....AD review and sort out.

This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
upgrades, should be interesting work.

If interested please email me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) with a brief
CV/letter outlining your capabilities, immediate start possible.....

regards

Thing

Matthew Poole

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
scrawl:

*SNIP*
> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
> upgrades, should be interesting work.

*SNIP*

And it's based... where?
--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
>scrawl:
>
>*SNIP*
>> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
>> upgrades, should be interesting work.
>>

>*SNIP*
>
>And it's based... where?

Auckland ? They are the only ones that feel they don't need to say

Bruce

(if there were any)

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:06:16 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
> scrawl:
>
> *SNIP*
>> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
>> upgrades, should be interesting work.
>>

> *SNIP*
>
> And it's based... where?

India

Shane

Matthew Poole wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:30:07 +1200, someone purporting to be thingy didst
> scrawl:
>
> *SNIP*
>> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
>> upgrades, should be interesting work.
>>

> *SNIP*
>
> And it's based... where?

Heh
From things headers

(I thought everyone knew where thing worked
So Im going to take a punt and say wellywood

Peter

thingy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
> the main focus.

The words 'windows' and 'security' are mutually exclusive.

thingy@nowhere.commy

thingy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
> the main focus.
>
> The second engineer will be AD, policies, EMC SANS, MS clustering focused.
>
> 75% of the time (even 100%) this job will be project work, remianing
> supporting level 2 as needed. Lots of servers to be rebuilt this year,
> server consolidation, new clustering....AD review and sort out.
>
> This is a large site with 150 servers and 5000 odd users, lots of
> upgrades, should be interesting work.
>
> If interested please email me at (E-Mail Removed) with a brief
> CV/letter outlining your capabilities, immediate start possible.....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Duh, Wellington.

regards

Thing

thingy@nowhere.commy

Peter wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>One engineer will be experienced in Windows Security and that will be
>>the main focus.
>>

> The words 'windows' and 'security' are mutually exclusive.

Now Now...

The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by following
good practice.

ie this is like MS saying oOo is 10 years behind the latest MS Office
(it is not btw) so rubbish. What I will agree with is in a similar way
to MS's security, oOo wont satisfy everyone (read paranoid), but it is
good enough for most.

The biggest problem for Windows security is the lack of capability of
the people who look after the box. By this I dont mean Windows sys
admins are crap, what I mean is most of the botnets are residential
computers who's owners lack the capability to tie down the OS
adequately. In fact you could add me into that I suspect, ie while I can
lock Unix and Linux boxes down really tightly, I couldnt do the equiv on
a MS OS.

regards

Thing

Stu Fleming

(E-Mail Removed)y wrote:

> The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by following
> good practice.

I was going to ask how much leeway the engineer would have when
rebuilding the servers

I mean, there's even an incremental upgrade path...first make it dual
boot Linux, then boot into it, then remove Windows )

thingy

Stu Fleming wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)y wrote:
>
>> The simple answer is Windows can be made acceptably secure by
>> following good practice.

> I was going to ask how much leeway the engineer would have when
> rebuilding the servers
>
> I mean, there's even an incremental upgrade path...first make it dual
> boot Linux, then boot into it, then remove Windows )

lol...the old "win98 or better" argument...

;]

We run about 150 servers, none of the windows ones have has serious
issues in 2 years, well 2 or 3 have got viruses somehow.....but apart
from that pretty good really....

The Linux ones have had none, but that is 35 servers V 110 Windows ones.

What I have noticed is the Windows ones seem to need rebuilding on a
regular though un-expected basis....registry lets go and ik dont even
dare re-booting it....

regards

Thing