Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Building a PC

Building a PC

Brendon

Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
power cables, ide etc?

cheers
Brendon

Tim

"Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:uTIWf.9565$(E-Mail Removed):

> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to
> hook them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like
> Sata cables, power cables, ide etc?

It usually depends on the version of the product you buy - OEM products
generally no, Retail Boxed, sometimes.

--
Tim

Steve

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, Brendon wrote:

> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
> them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
> power cables, ide etc?
>
> cheers
> Brendon

The cables usually come with the motherboard, not the peripherals...
although I've seen a dearth of SATA cables lately. You're almost
guaranteed to get an 80 pin ide and a floppy cable ( who uses those! )
with most mobo's.

Steve

thingy

Brendon wrote:
> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
> them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
> power cables, ide etc?
>
> cheers
> Brendon

Depends, mostly there should be spare power cables on the PSU, if not
you will need a $5 Y splitter, but unlikely. Data cables will be
different, often you will not have a ide or sata cable with a
cdrom/hdrive unless it is a retail kit, then you might even get screws....

So a dtrip to DSE for a pack of screws and a data cable is probable, Y
cable is available at DSE as well.

regards

Thing

Brendon

thanks guys. might be cheaper just to get the shop to build it then. save
the hassle, and hidden expenses like these cables, and the $20 tube of
grease for the processer etc.

thx.
Brendon

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, Brendon wrote:
>
>> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
>> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
>> them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata
>> cables,
>> power cables, ide etc?
>>
>> cheers
>> Brendon

> The cables usually come with the motherboard, not the peripherals...
> although I've seen a dearth of SATA cables lately. You're almost
> guaranteed to get an 80 pin ide and a floppy cable ( who uses those! )
> with most mobo's.
>
> Steve

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, "Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
>company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
>them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
>power cables, ide etc?

Depends if they're boxed or OEM packaged.

If the latter, generally not.

One other thing is that many boxed products to NOT include the screws,
so if you don't have any, it might pay to ask them to throw a handful
in (if they try to charge for them (cough, cough, supercheap, cough),
go elsewhere).

Andrew

Brendon wrote:
> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
> them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
> power cables, ide etc?
>
> cheers
> Brendon

Motherboards come with all the cables
hard drives come with none
optical drives.. depending on the brand, Asus and microstar supply a
cable, others dont like liteon...
when sata first came out all seagate hard drives came with a sata power
cable. now i think its just the motherboard with them

DSE is very expensive for these cables... $15 for an ide cable when they
are bought wholesale for under 50 cents

MarkH

"Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:uTIWf.9565$(E-Mail Removed):

> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to
> hook them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like
> Sata cables, power cables, ide etc?

This week I built a $3K PC (no monitor/mouse/kbd/optical drive) and I
have built plenty of others previously.

All the cheaper places sell the OEM HDDs - you get an antistatic bag
which contains a HDD + little bag of silica gel. No screws, no cable.
This is by far the most common way HDDs are sold.

Most DVD-Writers that are well priced are also the OEM models. But some
come with an IDE cable and some don't. Some come with a little ziplock
bag containing 4 screws, some don't. Some come with a CD containing
burning software, some don't.

If you want to know what comes with the product you are buying then the
easiest way to find out is to ask the people you are buying it from.

The PC I built this week consisted of:
Coolermaster Centurion 5 case (came with power cable, screws and stuff)
ASUS A8N SLI Motherboard (Came with Driver CD, Manual, ASUS sticker, IDE
cables, FDD cable, 4 x SATA cables, metal backplate - no screws, no SATA
power cables)
AMD Athlon 64 Dual core 4400 CPU (Came with fan and heatsink ready to go
with thermal paste already there)
7900GT Video card (Came with driver CD, video out cables and DVI to
standard adapters)
2 x 1GB RAM modules (Came in antistatic bag - nothing else with them)
2 x 300GB SATA2 HDDs - Seagate 16MB cache (Drives in antistatic bags -
no screws)
AC Bel 550W PSU that had 4 x sata power connectors (came with power
cable)

Pretty much all the cables and screws I needed came with the case and
motherboard.

If you are buying a SATA HDD then you should check if there is a spare
SATA power connector in your PC, if not then you will need an adapter.
If you don't have a SATA cable then you should check to see if your
motherboard actually has SATA connections (every motherboard that I have
bought with SATA connections has come with SATA cables).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, Brendon wrote:

> Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
> company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
> them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
> power cables, ide etc?
>
> cheers
> Brendon

MoBos come with SATA and IDE cables. Power cables are inseperable from the
power supply. But if you need more than the ones supplied then you can
purchase more.

The case should come with the wires to connect the switches and LEDs and
the speaker to the MoBo.

The CD/DVD drive should include the cable to connect the audio output to
the MoBo.

If in doubt, ask the sales droid in the shop to confirm what cabling is
included.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:44:51 +1200, Brendon wrote:

> thanks guys. might be cheaper just to get the shop to build it then. save
> the hassle, and hidden expenses like these cables, and the $20 tube of
> grease for the processer etc.

The CPU should come with heatsink and heatsink fan AND heatsink compound.

All the ones I've purchased had all those.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea