Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TelstraClear HighSpeed Internet

TelstraClear HighSpeed Internet

Andrew

thingy wrote:
> John wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:21:34 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
>>

>>> "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ritzfpuuqd9c$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Extra traffic on the new plan is $3 per GB so if you went over it,
>>> it's not really gonna break the bank.

>>> If I were you, and knew my usage wasn't going to change, I'd go for
>>> the 5GB plan. See how it goes and upgrade if necessary. Just make
>>> sure there are no penalties first. I don't think TCL care, as long
>>> as you're still their customer.

>> Makes sense, and even if I'm slightly over, the $3 it cost per GB
>> would still be less than it costs at the moment. Are you certain that
>> it's only $3 per GB?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

> hmm from reading the site, looked like $3 for 250meg to me.....so $12 a
> gig....?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Thats depends on the plan
ranges from $2.95 for 250MB to $2.95 for 2GB
http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...net/highspeed/

Stephen Williams

> The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends on
> the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site, all
> you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....

Hey we're not talking about telecom's crappy DSL here, 2mb cable is great!
Certainly a huge improvement over the 256k speed.

I signed up after november last year, so all these new plans are simply
upgrades over the earlier plans. I get 20gb per month instead of 10gb for
the same price.

JB

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:442a3dd5$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> The "extra" speed maybe a loss (ie marketing blurb), it really depends on
>> the bandwidth available, if its over-subscribed say a busy web site, all
>> you get is 30Kbyte/sec either way....
>>

> Hey we're not talking about telecom's crappy DSL here, 2mb cable is great!
> Certainly a huge improvement over the 256k speed.
>
> I signed up after november last year, so all these new plans are simply
> upgrades over the earlier plans. I get 20gb per month instead of 10gb for
> the same price.

The 2mb cable is very good, but the 10Mbps high speed internet is a lot
better (obviously) if you want to watch live internet TV stations etc. The
cost of the 10Mbps service is still prohibitive (about $100 per month,
$131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this? For
current rates see:

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...al_pricing.cfm

Matthew Poole

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, someone purporting to be JB didst
scrawl:

> "Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:442a3dd5$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
> $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
> cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this?

Cable is a shared-bandwidth service. For every user who's on a 10Mb plan
they can't put probably five 2Mb users onto the same segment. The more
10Mb users there are, the more equipment required to service them. Thus,
faster speeds will be charged at a higher rate.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Michael Newbery

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, someone purporting to be JB didst
> scrawl:
>

> > "Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:442a3dd5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> *SNIP*
> > $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
> > cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this?

> Cable is a shared-bandwidth service. For every user who's on a 10Mb plan
> they can't put probably five 2Mb users onto the same segment. The more
> 10Mb users there are, the more equipment required to service them. Thus,
> faster speeds will be charged at a higher rate.

Cable is not actually more of a shared bandwidth service than xDSL, or
Ethernet for that matter. What matters is the amount of sharing you do,
and where. For example, a big central office ADSL DSLAM probably funnels
a few thousand customers through a 155Mbps ATM pipe. (Which is not, in
practice, a bottleneck.) Of course, some people (TCNZ say about 20%) are
on mini DSLAMs that have a 2, 4 or 6 Mbps trunk.

The base 'pipe' that cable fits into is > 30Mbps, so even 10Mbps does
not consume all the available bandwidth. Each pipe services a number of
customers. Should a pipe fill up, more equipment gets put in (as you
suggest) to add another pipe and thus reduce the number of customers per
pipe.

David

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, JB wrote:

> The 2mb cable is very good, but the 10Mbps high speed internet is a lot
> better (obviously) if you want to watch live internet TV stations etc. The
> cost of the 10Mbps service is still prohibitive (about $100 per month,
> $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet should
> cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this? For
> current rates see:
>
> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...al_pricing.cfm

I agree the prices are high, but how do you conclude that "10Mbps ...
cost(s) so much more than the 2Mbps" ?

Sure, the top 2Mbs plan is $70 pm vs $100 for the cheapest 10Mbs plan.
That's $30 extra, but for that you get 20GB extra traffic (ie. 40GB on the
10Mbs plan vs 20GB for the 2Mbs plan).

That works out at $3 per 2GB extra, which is HALF the rate appling on the
2Mbs plan.

ie. On the 2Mbs plan, you would be paying $100 pm as soon as you reach
30.2GB pm. Any usage above that level and the 2Mbs plan will cost MORE
than the 10Mbs plan. At 40GB pm, the 2Mbs plan would be $29 pm dearer and
above that level it keeps getting worse (since the extra traffic rate on
the 10Mbs plans is half that of the 2Mbs plans).

The optimal plan depends on your typical usage pattern, but for its
intended purpose, the 10Mbs plan is significantly cheaper, not dearer than
the 2Mbs versions.

Given the "live internet TV" issue you raise, perhaps there is a case for a
10Mbs / 20GB plan. Better still, just convert the existing 2Mbs / 20Gb to
10Mbs & leave all else as is. If it is a big issue, take it up with TC.

David

Dave Taylor

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ritzfpuuqd9c$.1mzizv390ul03.dlg@
40tude.net:

> under the 2GB mark.

So you don't download more than that a month.
You answered your own question.

--
Ciao, Dave

JB

newsbevm7upxtmf$.1oqyh9iwirtn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:09:47 +1200, JB wrote:
>
>> The 2mb cable is very good, but the 10Mbps high speed internet is a lot
>> better (obviously) if you want to watch live internet TV stations etc.
>> The
>> cost of the 10Mbps service is still prohibitive (about $100 per month,
>> $131.90 including phone line). I am not sure why the 10Mbps internet
>> should
>> cost so much more than the 2Mbps service, can anyone explain this? For
>> current rates see:
>>
>> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...al_pricing.cfm

> Given the "live internet TV" issue you raise, perhaps there is a case for
> 10Mbs / 20GB plan. Better still, just convert the existing 2Mbs / 20Gb to
> 10Mbs & leave all else as is. If it is a big issue, take it up with TC.
>
> David

Some good logic there David, but I think the SPEED of the internet is of far
greater importance than having a huge monthly traffic allowance. Why not
have a 10Mbs 4 or 5 Gig plan, that would be a winner for me, and I'm sure
heaps of other users as well. A lot of people can do with 1 or 2Gigs traffic
per month, so I think the 10Mbs plans should be spread right across all
levels of traffic plans. It seems ridiculous to me that the 10Mbps
lightspeed plans come with either a massive 40gig or 80gig monthly
allowance, what percentage of users would need 40gig, it's hard enough to
use up 4 gig! Having 10Mbps is a huge advantage over 2Mbs, so why not make
it available to more people, particularly if Telstra have the cable capacity
now to increase the number of people who use 10Mbs.

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:08:57 +1200, someone purporting to be JB didst
scrawl:

> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsbevm7upxtmf$.1oqyh9iwirtn$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
> Some good logic there David, but I think the SPEED of the internet is of far
> greater importance than having a huge monthly traffic allowance. Why not
> have a 10Mbs 4 or 5 Gig plan, that would be a winner for me, and I'm sure
> heaps of other users as well. A lot of people can do with 1 or 2Gigs traffic

Now. What might they do when they discover all the things that become
possible when you have real broadband? TCL don't throttle, either, they
just do overage.

> per month, so I think the 10Mbs plans should be spread right across all
> levels of traffic plans. It seems ridiculous to me that the 10Mbps
> lightspeed plans come with either a massive 40gig or 80gig monthly
> allowance, what percentage of users would need 40gig, it's hard enough to
> use up 4 gig! Having 10Mbps is a huge advantage over 2Mbs, so why not make
> it available to more people, particularly if Telstra have the cable capacity
> now to increase the number of people who use 10Mbs.

One of the risks of higher speeds is that people suddenly find out that
you can do so many more things that you could previously. Streaming TV,
for example. When you only do overage charges, it's rather irresponsible
to give people massively faster connections with no increase in their
allowance. Why do you think Telecon are increasing the data caps of
everyone who they're giving speed increases to?

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Invisible

Their (+ Paradise) new ADSL plans are underwhelming:

TelstraClear HighSpeed2 2Mbps/128kbps 1GB* $38.95
TelstraClear HighSpeed2 3.5Mbps/128kbps 5GB* $48.95
TelstraClear HighSpeed4 3.5Mbps/128kbps 10GB* $68.95

*After your monthly plan traffic allowance has been exceeded, a 'throttle on
cap' will be applied which means that the speed of your service will be reduced
to dial up speeds (a maximum of 64kbps). However you will not be charged for any
additional usage.

[FREE] HighSpeed Internet Search for your area r6=u6 Toolman Tim Computer Support 3 02-02-2005 04:28 AM
Is Webcam better with highspeed DSL? lbbss Computer Support 0 07-15-2004 12:11 PM
HighSpeed Secure Digital Card from Japan Iris Lee Digital Photography 0 05-07-2004 08:34 AM
Highspeed dsl drvnguy Computer Support 1 01-04-2004 06:39 PM
Sample config. for 827 on Sympatico HighSpeed or Golden Triangle? Brad Cisco 0 07-11-2003 03:44 AM

Advertisments