Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Who Owns XP

Reply
Thread Tools

Who Owns XP

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
Hi

I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on it.. But no
copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of XP on
this computer...

thx


*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
s.t.e.v.e.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
Peter wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on it.. But
> no copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of XP
> on this computer...
>
> thx


Nothing boots when you turn it on?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:04:35 +1200, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on it.. But no
>copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of XP on
>this computer...
>
>thx


By "XP Identification sticker" do you mean a Licence sticker with the
product (ie Home/Pro) and the 25 digit product key on it?

If this is the case, yes you will be legally able to install (that)
version of XP on it.

Mark
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:04:35 +1200, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Hi
>
>I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on it.. But no
>copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of XP on
>this computer...
>
>thx
>

Assuming you mean a Certificate of Authentication, yes, this means you
are entitled to install Windows XP, using the numbers on the sticker.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Hills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Assuming you mean a Certificate of Authentication, yes, this means you
>are entitled to install Windows XP, using the numbers on the sticker.


Assuming the EULA wording has not changed since Windows 2000, you are
almost certainly incorrect. Machines with the sticker attached to the case
are almost always loaded with an OEM version of Windows that is machine
specific. The only valid reload is the recovery partition, recovery CD or
OEM Windows CD supplied with the machine. No CD? Then you go back to the
machine builder to get it reloaded. Any other course of action invalidates
the license. I've debated whether Microsoft care about this or not in
another post close to this one.

--
Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
"New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
-- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286
 
Reply With Quote
 
James West
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
so there was NO version of XP on the hard disk then??


James

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4428c4eb$0$23562$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on it.. But
> no copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of XP
> on this computer...
>
> thx
>
> *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
> *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
> http://www.SecureIX.com ***



 
Reply With Quote
 
Waylon Kenning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:17:42 +1200, James West wrote:

> so there was NO version of XP on the hard disk then??


Be a pretty hard thing to miss wouldn't it?

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:17:42 +1200, James West wrote:
>
>> so there was NO version of XP on the hard disk then??

>
> Be a pretty hard thing to miss wouldn't it?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Waylon Kenning.
>

It may be a second hand computer?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006
Yes the identification Sticker. with the code you need to install XP..

I bought a second hand computer to run linux on. I would like to sell
another computer and put both XP and the sticker on. Just want it all legal.
As I may be doing this to a number of computers..



"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:04:35 +1200, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on it.. But
>>no
>>copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of XP on
>>this computer...
>>
>>thx

>
> By "XP Identification sticker" do you mean a Licence sticker with the
> product (ie Home/Pro) and the 25 digit product key on it?
>
> If this is the case, yes you will be legally able to install (that)
> version of XP on it.
>
> Mark



*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2006


"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44291a39$0$19435$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Yes the identification Sticker. with the code you need to install
> XP..
>
> I bought a second hand computer to run linux on. I would like to
> sell another computer and put both XP and the sticker on. Just want
> it all legal. As I may be doing this to a number of computers..
>
>
>
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:04:35 +1200, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I just purchased a computer with an XP identification sticker on
>>>it.. But no
>>>copy of XP came with the computer. Can I legally install a copy of
>>>XP on
>>>this computer...
>>>
>>>thx

>>
>> By "XP Identification sticker" do you mean a Licence sticker with
>> the
>> product (ie Home/Pro) and the 25 digit product key on it?
>>
>> If this is the case, yes you will be legally able to install (that)
>> version of XP on it.
>>
>> Mark

>
>
> *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
> *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
> http://www.SecureIX.com ***



I doubt you can do that legally.

Usually, the license is specific to that machine - it cannot be
transferred to another machine by moving the sticker.

lan.

--

The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! eScrewDotCom@Hotmail.com Cisco 0 12-20-2004 09:24 AM
finding the form that owns the usercontrol Karl Prosser ASP .Net 1 01-22-2004 09:24 PM
Could anyone who owns a Canon ZR-60 camcorder tell me how long the battery should last? Tom Digital Photography 4 12-20-2003 04:44 PM
Word or FrontPage owns files Steve Freides Computer Support 2 11-22-2003 02:29 AM
Fuji S5000 3.1 Question For Anyone Who Owns One Andre Denis Digital Photography 0 11-19-2003 10:37 PM



Advertisments