Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > LCD Monitors (again)

LCD Monitors (again)

David

Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to me
as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
issue.

From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in NZ
appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems to
be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given the
current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.

Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
likely candidates

- Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

- Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
features, rather than image quality.

- AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but the
"professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19" (no
"A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
available here.

I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

David

BTW - a couple of interesting articles
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...up/default.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...up/default.asp

In particular
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...dup/page13.asp
- colour accuracy of some LCDs now better than that of a high end CRT !

Alas these monitors are a bit beyond our budget (assuming they were
available in NZ).

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

news:1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
> likely candidates
>
> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>
> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
> features, rather than image quality.
>
> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
> the
> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
> (no
> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
> available here.
>
> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
ideas...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

~misfit~

David wrote:
> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense
> to me as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19".
> Wants LCD due to the physical size. Limited interest in games -
> video probably more an issue.
>
> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer
> LCD screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily
> available in NZ appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its
> image quality seems to be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced).
> However, around $900 seems rather costly for a 1280 resolution
> monitor. It seems to me that given the current state of the art, he
> may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor with a view to getting
> something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
>
> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
> seem likely candidates
>
> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>
> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
> though looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more
> from features, rather than image quality.
>
> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users,
> but the "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model
> appears to have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site
> has an "E19" (no "A") model which has much better specs, but it does
> not seem to be available here.
>
> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
> any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

I recently bought a 19" from DSE. It doesn't look that great on paper, 1280
res, 450:1 contrast, 16ms response, no DVI input. $550. However, DSE have a
no questions asked return policy within 14 days (as long as all packaging is
retained and undamaged) so I took one home.

I still have it. I'm quite happy with it, no stuck or dead pixels, I'm happy
with the picture. The built-in speakers aren't up to much, I stopped using
them after the first day. However, all-in-all, I'm happy with it. With all
the extra desk-space I'd hate to go back to a CRT now.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XC5593

I have no knowledge or experience with the others you mentioned.

Good luck.
--
~Shaun~

krazy Bob

news:1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
> me
> as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
> to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
> issue.
>
> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
> screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
> NZ
> appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
> be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
> rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
> the
> current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
> with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
>
> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
> likely candidates
>
> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>
> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
> features, rather than image quality.
>
> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
> the
> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
> (no
> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
> available here.
>
> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
>
> David
>

> BTW - a couple of interesting articles
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...up/default.asp
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...up/default.asp
>
> In particular
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...dup/page13.asp
> - colour accuracy of some LCDs now better than that of a high end CRT !
>
> Alas these monitors are a bit beyond our budget (assuming they were
> available in NZ).

Dell is simply a samsung branded model.
Samsung from what ive heard from gamers and graphic design people seem to be
one of the best makers out there.

Toms Hardwar has just recently did a article on the latest and greatest LCD
monitors out there,
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/...cd_collection/

Im looking to get a LCD screen and was leaning towards getting Samsung
Syncmaster 930BF offers good spec's overall. But to me it was a bit pricey
so i thought id look around a bit more and i found a site that offered the
same model for a $130 cheaper.

Then this morning check out toms hardware and read the article so im back to
square one with what to get.

Theres a new 2ms viewsonic model out that seems to be great for games.
haven't checked out the price yet so can't comment on it.

Cheers
KB

krazy Bob

news:4428830f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David wrote:
>> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense
>> to me as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19".
>> Wants LCD due to the physical size. Limited interest in games -
>> video probably more an issue.
>>
>> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer
>> LCD screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily
>> available in NZ appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its
>> image quality seems to be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced).
>> However, around $900 seems rather costly for a 1280 resolution
>> monitor. It seems to me that given the current state of the art, he
>> may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor with a view to getting
>> something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
>> seem likely candidates
>>
>> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
>> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>>
>> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
>> though looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more
>> from features, rather than image quality.
>>
>> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users,
>> but the "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model
>> appears to have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site
>> has an "E19" (no "A") model which has much better specs, but it does
>> not seem to be available here.
>>
>> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
>> any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

> I recently bought a 19" from DSE. It doesn't look that great on paper,
> 1280 res, 450:1 contrast, 16ms response, no DVI input. $550. However, DSE
> have a no questions asked return policy within 14 days (as long as all
> packaging is retained and undamaged) so I took one home.
>
> I still have it. I'm quite happy with it, no stuck or dead pixels, I'm
> happy with the picture. The built-in speakers aren't up to much, I stopped
> using them after the first day. However, all-in-all, I'm happy with it.
> With all the extra desk-space I'd hate to go back to a CRT now.
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XC5593
>
> I have no knowledge or experience with the others you mentioned.
>
> Good luck.
> --
> ~Shaun~

I have seen misfits lcd screen and i learnt then not to judge a book by its
cover, yes it looks dull and has DSE plastered on it, but it does pretty
good image reproduction when playing WoW and comparing that to a CRT with
same resolution.

KB

krazy Bob

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:442882c5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
>> likely candidates
>>
>> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
>> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>>
>> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
>> though
>> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
>> features, rather than image quality.
>>
>> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
>> the
>> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
>> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
>> (no
>> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
>> available here.
>>
>> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any
>> of
>> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
>>

> Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
> ideas...

How can you derive any idea's from that article or blog. Its simply a post
from someone giving his experience on buying a lcd and going through the
processes involved in making a decision.

KB

E. Scrooge

news:1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
> me
> as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
> to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
> issue.
>
> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
> screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
> NZ
> appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
> be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
> rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
> the
> current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
> with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
>
> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
> likely candidates
>
> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>
> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
> features, rather than image quality.
>
> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
> the
> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
> (no
> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
> available here.
>
> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
>
> David

Harvey Norman have a stack of them from about $750 up. One model is a 19"
widescreen.

E. Scrooge

news.xtra.co.nz

> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
>> me
>> as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
>> to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
>> issue.
>>
>> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
>> screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
>> NZ
>> appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
>> be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
>> rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
>> the
>> current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper
>> monitor
>> with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
>> likely candidates
>>
>> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
>> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
>>
>> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
>> though
>> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
>> features, rather than image quality.
>>
>> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
>> the
>> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
>> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
>> (no
>> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
>> available here.
>>
>> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any
>> of
>> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
>>
>> David

> Harvey Norman have a stack of them from about $750 up. One model is a 19"
> widescreen.
>
> E. Scrooge

For which model?

MarkH

David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$(E-Mail Removed):

> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense
> to me as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19".

Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
> seem likely candidates
>
> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

I have this and am very happy with it. I use the digital input and get a
very nice sharp image.

600:1 contrast ratio
8ms response time
19.1" viewable (my 19" CRT has 17.8" viewable)
Great warranty

I play games and watch TV programs and movies on it. I am very happy with
my purchase!

I would prefer the Philips 23" widescreen though (1920 x 1200).

> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
> any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

I have no experience with the other models you mentioned. But Philips make
a good product and give it a good warranty.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

David

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:01:27 GMT, MarkH wrote:

> Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
> everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
> actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

Price. Run my 19" (/18") CRT at 1600 (& 15" laptop @ 1400), so 17" at 1280
should be a cinch. For my use, pixels count more than screen size.

>> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
>> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

> I have this and am very happy with it. I use the digital input and get a
> very nice sharp image.
>
> 600:1 contrast ratio
> 8ms response time
> 19.1" viewable (my 19" CRT has 17.8" viewable)
> Great warranty
>
> I play games and watch TV programs and movies on it. I am very happy with
> my purchase!

Thanks. Exactly the type of feedback I am hoping for.

Now considering 190B6 vs 190P6. Extra $40, but LightFrame & SmartBright
may be worth it?

David

Re: Are LCD Monitors Brigter than CRT Monitors Martin Digital Photography 0 09-08-2004 04:09 PM
NEC LCD monitors any good? me6@privacy.net Computer Support 16 06-08-2004 01:57 PM
Flat Panel LCD Monitors rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 5 02-15-2004 09:18 PM
LCD monitors drvnguy Computer Support 7 12-27-2003 01:35 AM
Re: Anyone know a good cheap supplier of TFT LCD Monitors Boomer Computer Support 9 12-17-2003 08:55 PM

Advertisments