Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug broadband performance

Ihug broadband performance

nzwarrior

Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p apps
run at a decent speed?

Nik Coughlin

nzwarrior wrote:
> Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
> increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p apps
> run at a decent speed?

Generally I get close to the 2mb downstream that I pay for on everything,
but I've noticed lately that my upstream has been very inconsistent (I do a
bit of ftp uploading). Just for the last week or two.

Chris Hope

nzwarrior wrote:

> Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
> increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p apps
> run at a decent speed?

It may pay to wait and see how much Ihug are going to charge before
changing over, assuming they are going to move to the 3.5mb plans
anytime soon.

Andrew

Chris Hope wrote:
> nzwarrior wrote:
>
>> Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
>> increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p apps
>> run at a decent speed?

> It may pay to wait and see how much Ihug are going to charge before
> changing over, assuming they are going to move to the 3.5mb plans
> anytime soon.

isnt it ihug and slingshot that are refusing to go with telecom?

Chris Hope

Andrew wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> nzwarrior wrote:
>>
>>> Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
>>> increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p
>>> apps run at a decent speed?

>> It may pay to wait and see how much Ihug are going to charge before
>> changing over, assuming they are going to move to the 3.5mb plans
>> anytime soon.
>>

> isnt it ihug and slingshot that are refusing to go with telecom?

That's why I added the last sentence They may well not take on the
new plans at all, but it may pay to wait another couple of weeks before
deciding to switch so a comparison can be made between the major ISPs
and all the the new pricing models.

MarkH

Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:442859A0.60501
@wetaeffects.co.nz:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> nzwarrior wrote:
>>
>>> Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
>>> increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p apps
>>> run at a decent speed?

>> It may pay to wait and see how much Ihug are going to charge before
>> changing over, assuming they are going to move to the 3.5mb plans
>> anytime soon.
>>

> isnt it ihug and slingshot that are refusing to go with telecom?

Who are they going with then?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Chris Mayhew

nzwarrior wrote:
> Am thinking of changing isp from Orcon to Ihug, due to the new price
> increases on Orcon. How is the speed / latency on ihug? Do p2p apps
> run at a decent speed?

I was too but I had a question to ask so I sent them an email. I got
an automated reply a day later with a text version of their pricing
plans as listed on their website (which I had already looked at) and a
couple of days after that I got a blank email. Question was never
answered so I sent an email to slingshot and got a sensible reply so I
signed up.