Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers

Xtra to block Port 25 - no more mail servers

MarkH

whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:who-B92E10.22281027032006
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Xtra is a MSN outlet.... this will effectively kill off access to google
> mail too....
>
> I set up google mail so I could have pop/smtp from anywhere in the world
> and not have to resort to a crap webmail interface.
>
> Oh well, just another reason to leave xtra for someone else.

Ahem *cough* *cough* *cough*

Um, yeah - GMail does not use Port 25! Outgoing is through port 465, NOT
the standard port 25. Incoming mail is through port 995. So this will NOT
effectively kill off access to Google mail.

Of course I would not use Xtra anyway - they suck!

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

colinco

In article Jamie Kahn Genet says...
> > Well, that says they're going to filter it, not block. Doesn't it just
> > mean that you're going to have to use their servers as smart hosts for
> > sending email?

> and that's acceptable? Have you seen what useless crap Xtra's absurd
> spamfilers add to outgoing email? I'm sorry, but the only way to get a
> decent spam filter is to train a filter yourself. Xtra's is USELESS.

What crap are you talking about WRT outgoing email via Xtra?

Enkidu

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:51:03 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>>

>>> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>>>
>>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>>>
>>> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless
>>> you forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>>>
>>> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
>>> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail
>>> servers.

>> Well, that says they're going to filter it, not block. Doesn't it
>> just mean that you're going to have to use their servers as smart
>> hosts for sending email?

> and that's acceptable? Have you seen what useless crap Xtra's absurd
> spamfilers add to outgoing email? I'm sorry, but the only way to get
> a decent spam filter is to train a filter yourself. Xtra's is
> USELESS.

Yes, it is. I used to run an SMTP server, but I got fed up with
receiving all the SPAM so I use my ISP as a smarthost, get the benefit
of their SPAM filtering and I also do my own.

Cheers,

Cliff

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:37:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> Whenever this idea is suggested, everyone running their own mail server
> predictably complains, without considering the upside in reduction of
> spam (but spam prevention must have NO IMPACT AT ALL ON ME!!! I don't
> like spam but I'm not prepared to move an inch to help solve the
> problem. Etc.).

I run my own email servers. I do not have a problem with SPAM.

If one email address starts to get spam (and this happens only rarely,
because most people I know no longer use Windows at home) then I simply
delete it and advise people of the new email address.

It is not right for an ISP to simply block people from using an important
part of the Internet - something that people pay for!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"Vista - I wouldn't buy it with someone else's money. Then again What do I
know, I've only been testing the dog for the last 2-3 yrs..."

Allistar

Fred Dagg wrote:

> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>
> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>
> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

Just run a mail server on another port - something other than 25/110.
Problem fixed, surely?

Allistar.

Chris Hope

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

[snip]

> If one email address starts to get spam (and this happens only rarely,
> because most people I know no longer use Windows at home) then I
> simply delete it and advise people of the new email address.

And what does using Windows have to do with getting spam?

I use Linux for all my email, run my own mail servers, and I get
bucketloads of spam.

Getting spam or not boils down to a number of factors and few (if any)
of them have anything to do with using Windows or Outlook/Express.

[snip]

The Other Guy

Allistar wrote:
> Just run a mail server on another port - something other than 25/110.
> Problem fixed, surely?

You have to both send to port 25, and receive on port 25. I assume they
will be blocking both.

On the listening end, SMTP servers must listen on port 25 as DNS does
not provide a mechanism to specify the incoming port.

The Other Guy

Allistar

The Other Guy wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> Just run a mail server on another port - something other than 25/110.
>> Problem fixed, surely?

> You have to both send to port 25, and receive on port 25. I assume they
> will be blocking both.
>
> On the listening end, SMTP servers must listen on port 25 as DNS does
> not provide a mechanism to specify the incoming port.
>
> The Other Guy

I can set up a mail server that listens on port 1025, and setup my mail
client to check mail on my host, with port=1025. Same thing with port 110.

I can tell my mail server to listen on any port, and even if I can't, I can
easily forward incoming on 1025 to 25 on the mail server - all internal, so
the ISP has no idea. All they see is traffic on port 1025.

Allistar.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:59:56 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>

>> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>>
>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>>
>> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
>> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>>
>> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
>> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

>Just run a mail server on another port - something other than 25/110.
>Problem fixed, surely?

Yeah, pity that nobody will be able to send you any mail.

I'm assuming you don't know much about how the internet works. That
would be akin to hosting your web server on Port 81, then wondering
why nobody can see your website.

Allistar

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:59:56 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>

>>> Xtra have announced they are going to block Port 25:
>>>
>>> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,13904,00.html
>>>
>>> Basically, you wont be able to use your own mail server, unless you
>>> forward everything through Xtra's buggy servers.
>>>
>>> There is a rumour that Xtra will provide an opt-out... At a cost.
>>> Thereby taxing customers who choose to manage their own mail servers.

>>Just run a mail server on another port - something other than 25/110.
>>Problem fixed, surely?

> Yeah, pity that nobody will be able to send you any mail.
>
> I'm assuming you don't know much about how the internet works. That
> would be akin to hosting your web server on Port 81, then wondering
> why nobody can see your website.

I was assuming it would be a mail server used only by yourself for
sending/receiving email, and it (your mail server) would collect your email
from the standard xtra server on port 25. Should have made that clear.
Basically your mail server would be like a go between between your mail
client and the "real" Xtra server.

Allistar.