Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > windows going mental

Reply
Thread Tools

windows going mental

 
 
gimp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
today all sorts of crazy crap started happening in windowsXP, first off
the (default) firewall stopped working, and other probs, including AVG
updater won't work and reports bad install.

trying to enable the firewall reports:
"firewall settings cannot be displayed because the assocaited service is
not running. do you want to enable the firewall/ics?"

clicking yes just reports "can't enable firewall/ics". (yay!).

when i right click on my computer
"the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\esent.dll is not a valid
windows image. please check this against your installation date."

what the hell does that mean...?? it is a legitimate windows licence,
about 2 months old. i did a full virus scan with AVG and couldn't find
anything.

?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006

"gimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsYKVf.8855$(E-Mail Removed)...
> when i right click on my computer
> "the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\esent.dll is not a valid
> windows image. please check this against your installation date."
>
> what the hell does that mean...?? it is a legitimate windows licence,
> about 2 months old. i did a full virus scan with AVG and couldn't find
> anything.
>
> ?


http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20709829.html

Check that out...should help.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
"gimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsYKVf.8855$(E-Mail Removed)...
> today all sorts of crazy crap started happening in windowsXP, first
> off the (default) firewall stopped working, and other probs,
> including AVG updater won't work and reports bad install.
>
> trying to enable the firewall reports:
> "firewall settings cannot be displayed because the assocaited
> service is not running. do you want to enable the firewall/ics?"
>
> clicking yes just reports "can't enable firewall/ics". (yay!).
>
> when i right click on my computer
> "the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\esent.dll is not a valid
> windows image. please check this against your installation date."
>
> what the hell does that mean...?? it is a legitimate windows
> licence, about 2 months old. i did a full virus scan with AVG and
> couldn't find anything.
>
> ?



Do you have all the latest XP updates installed? Check here for a
Windows KB article that might be relevant to your problem. Seems there
was a bug in Automatic Updates that would sometimes corrupt essent.dll

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910437

Alternatively, go....Start > Run sfc /scannow

That will replace corrupted OS files with known good versions.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
gimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsYKVf.8855$JZ1.326657
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> i did a full virus scan with AVG and couldn't find
> anything.
>


That is probably because you have bigger problems.

Try this in safe mode:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
a-squared (a-squared) is a complementary product to antivirus software and
desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes
in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in
detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms
and Spyware (Adware). a-squared fills the gap that malware writers exploit.


Do you have any kind of anti-spyware installed, or have you been trusting
AVG to protect from all types of nasties it was never designed to do?

http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html



--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
gimp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
XPD wrote:
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20709829.html
>
> Check that out...should help.


thanks - i will try it
 
Reply With Quote
 
gimp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
impossible wrote:
> Do you have all the latest XP updates installed? Check here for a
> Windows KB article that might be relevant to your problem. Seems there
> was a bug in Automatic Updates that would sometimes corrupt essent.dll
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910437
>
> Alternatively, go....Start > Run sfc /scannow
>
> That will replace corrupted OS files with known good versions.



i last updated on the weekend i think... heh would suck if a windows
update caused the problem hopefully copying the dll from the XP CD
will work...


 
Reply With Quote
 
gimp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
Dave Taylor wrote:
> gimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsYKVf.8855$JZ1.326657
> @news.xtra.co.nz:


> Do you have any kind of anti-spyware installed, or have you been trusting
> AVG to protect from all types of nasties it was never designed to do?


lol yeah i guess so... i have NIS on my home machine though. i doubt its
a spyware/malware issue but will have a look at that program anyway,
thanks for the link.
 
Reply With Quote
 
gimp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
XPD wrote:
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20709829.html
>
> Check that out...should help.



that fixed my firewall - thanks AVG is still corrupted, but i think
that was because it screwed up during an update, i'll trash it and get
the latest NIS.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Fran
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2006
gimp wrote:

> XPD wrote:
>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20709829.html
>>
>> Check that out...should help.

>
>
> that fixed my firewall - thanks AVG is still corrupted, but i think
> that was because it screwed up during an update, i'll trash it and get
> the latest NIS.


God no!
Stay with AVG, just reinstall it - It has a repair option then.

Fran

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mental Impairment and Windows Blinky the Shark Computer Support 3 05-13-2008 06:16 PM
Mental Abuse khaccountant@yahoo.com Python 3 02-13-2006 12:07 PM
Pythoncard mental block jlocc@fau.edu Python 1 10-08-2005 02:06 AM
Want to learn how to killfile the mental midgets Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 2 07-29-2004 05:14 AM
Mental Block - probably easy answer...validation summary Rob Meade ASP .Net 3 11-25-2003 03:42 PM



Advertisments