Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon ADSL disconnects each morning

Orcon ADSL disconnects each morning

Jamie Kahn Genet

Hi there.

Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
is happening these days?

I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
MacOS 10.3.9.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

-=rjh=-

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
> is happening these days?

No, everything fine here - not good, but typically similar to what I've
come to expect from ADSL. Longest connections for last month were only
13, 9 and 5 days, (with a spate of disconnects around midday midway
through the month). That is better than it was, say, 6 months ago.

256K UBS unlimited plan, Wellington.

And without even thinking about it, I see I did 30GB last month, too.

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
> is happening these days?
>
> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
> MacOS 10.3.9.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

I have a USB Alcatel Speedtouch (aka "Green Frog") and it seems to do
alright for me.

My ipcop box keeps the connection running for me so I never really think
about it but now that I look I do seem to get at least one disconnection
each night.

--

March 19, 2006

03:31:05 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
03:31:13 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:32:35 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:32:40 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
05:48:24 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
05:48:32 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
05:49:34 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
05:49:40 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

March 20, 2006

<no ppp events, smooth sailing>

March 21, 2006

06:43:35 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
06:43:41 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
06:44:38 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
06:44:53 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

March 22, 2006

23:04:07 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
23:04:12 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
23:05:14 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
23:05:22 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

March 23, 2006

08:57:17 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
08:57:25 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
08:58:12 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
08:58:37 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
08:59:49 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
08:59:55 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:01:13 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:01:55 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:02:02 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
09:03:21 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
09:03:29 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:04:16 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:04:28 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
09:06:01 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
09:06:09 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:07:26 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:07:41 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
09:09:32 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
09:09:40 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
09:09:52 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

March 24, 2006

00:48:56 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
00:49:05 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
00:49:21 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

March 25, 2006

03:35:36 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
03:35:38 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:39:02 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:42:25 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:45:48 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:49:12 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:52:45 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
03:53:43 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

March 26, 2006

<no ppp events, smooth sailing>

March 27, 2006

<no ppp events, smooth sailing>

--

It is fairly normal for this to happen anyway as per the nature of a
high speed connection over Telecom's highly volatile ancient wiring so

To be honest with you, I think it is Telecom and their UBS system. It's
always had a third world feeling to it

Philip

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
> is happening these days?
>
> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
> MacOS 10.3.9.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Not happening here (Bay of Islands) in two separate locations on two
different Orcon plans. i did have dropout problems at one location until
I replaced the el-cheapo modem/router I got "free" with the connection,
and on advice from people here installed a Billion router/modem, which
just never lets go and hasn't dropped out (or stayed dropped out) since
I installed it.

Philip

~misfit~

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
> is happening these days?
>
> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
> running MacOS 10.3.9.

Hi Jamie,

Same problem I had just before I dropped OrCON.

Have you got the latest firmware on that router? I have the 510v4 as well,
excellent bit of kit. It didn't make a blind bit of difference to my
connections when I upgraded my firmware and I had to re-set all permissions
etc. as the .ini file from previous versions isn't compatible but, now I'm
used to it, I like the new look and feel of the 4.3.2.6.0 firmware.

If you don't have it and want to upgrade it I can give you the best site to
get it from. However, it won't fix your problem with OrCON. I spent weeks on
a similar problem before I came up with a solution that fixed it completely.
I changed ISPs. No more constant disconnects.

Cheers,
--
~Shaun~

~misfit~

k wrote:
> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
>> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the
>> HELL is happening these days?
>>
>> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
>> running MacOS 10.3.9.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jamie Kahn Genet

> I have a USB Alcatel Speedtouch (aka "Green Frog") and it seems to do
> alright for me.

AKA Stingray. I have one of those too as a back-up unit. Good little "plug
in, insert CD and go" modem.
--
~Shaun~

Mike

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
> is happening these days?
>
> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
> MacOS 10.3.9.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Hi
I've got a similar problem though it is throughout the day.
Im trialing a friends router just to see if it is the router or not.
orCON support has been next to useless appart from one guy last night
on the phone who actually seemed to know what he was talking about.

Jamie Kahn Genet

~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
> > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me off. What the HELL
> > is happening these days?
> >
> > I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
> > running MacOS 10.3.9.

> Hi Jamie,
>
> Same problem I had just before I dropped OrCON.
>
> Have you got the latest firmware on that router? I have the 510v4 as well,
> excellent bit of kit. It didn't make a blind bit of difference to my
> connections when I upgraded my firmware and I had to re-set all permissions
> etc. as the .ini file from previous versions isn't compatible but, now I'm
> used to it, I like the new look and feel of the 4.3.2.6.0 firmware.
>
> If you don't have it and want to upgrade it I can give you the best site to
> get it from. However, it won't fix your problem with OrCON. I spent weeks on
> a similar problem before I came up with a solution that fixed it completely.
> I changed ISPs. No more constant disconnects.
>
> Cheers,

Nah, I'm using 4.2.7.16.0 on advice from several people, including one
of the Speedtouch techs I got on the phone. I'm told it's supposed to be
more stable.

Oh, and I agree about the 510v4 - it has been an outstanding little
router. It runs cool, has NEVER crashed, and when Orcon/Telecom/lines
haven't screwed my connection, it's been rock solid stable.

It's a real pity Thompson seem to be ignoring the NZ market. I see none
of their very latest ADSL routers on the NZ site. When ADSL 2+ arrives
it looks like I'll have to buy elsewhere *sighs*

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

~misfit~

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>>> Hi there.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection
>>> disconnecting several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY ****ing me
>>> off. What the HELL is happening these days?
>>>
>>> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
>>> running MacOS 10.3.9.

>> Hi Jamie,
>>
>> Same problem I had just before I dropped OrCON.
>>
>> Have you got the latest firmware on that router? I have the 510v4 as
>> well, excellent bit of kit. It didn't make a blind bit of difference
>> to my connections when I upgraded my firmware and I had to re-set
>> all permissions etc. as the .ini file from previous versions isn't
>> compatible but, now I'm used to it, I like the new look and feel of
>> the 4.3.2.6.0 firmware.
>>
>> If you don't have it and want to upgrade it I can give you the best
>> site to get it from. However, it won't fix your problem with OrCON.
>> I spent weeks on a similar problem before I came up with a solution
>> that fixed it completely. I changed ISPs. No more constant
>> disconnects.
>>
>> Cheers,

> Nah, I'm using 4.2.7.16.0 on advice from several people, including one
> of the Speedtouch techs I got on the phone. I'm told it's supposed to
> be more stable.

Heh. I had no choice in the matter from Orcon's hinderdesk, they basically
told me they wouldn't continue troubleshooting my connection unless I had
the latest firmware installed.

> Oh, and I agree about the 510v4 - it has been an outstanding little
> router. It runs cool, has NEVER crashed, and when Orcon/Telecom/lines
> haven't screwed my connection, it's been rock solid stable.

Yep, great router.

> It's a real pity Thompson seem to be ignoring the NZ market. I see
> none of their very latest ADSL routers on the NZ site. When ADSL 2+
> arrives it looks like I'll have to buy elsewhere *sighs*

That's a shame, I didn't realise that Thompson weren't catering to the NZ
market.
--
~Shaun~

nzwarrior

I was having the same problem with the connection being dead in the
morning, but it went away for a wee while, now the problem is back
again this morning. (Botany, Auckland)