Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ICANN members shocked at NZ fraudband

ICANN members shocked at NZ fraudband

Philip

Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.

Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.

Philip

Richard

Philip wrote:
> Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
> the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
>
> Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
> rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.

And perhaps now the people who were complaining about the cost of bringing them
here will stop complaining...

Mutlley

Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
>
>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
>
>Philip

From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
are the great white of Jaws fame..

jedmeister

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
>> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
>>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
>>
>>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
>>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
>>
>>Philip

> From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
> time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
> and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
> are the great white of Jaws fame..

Australian hotels are terrible for broadband too - I rang one, asked if they
had internet connections in the rooms and they said yes.

Turned up, and their definition of 'internet' connection was a phone jack
which you could use your dial-up modem.

Katipo

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
>> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
>>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
>>
>>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
>>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
>>
>>Philip

> From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
> time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
> and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
> are the great white of Jaws fame..

Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as telephone
calls, internet, in room booze etc.

bonspiel@orcon.net.nz

including hookers, ask the night porter

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:36:02 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

> Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
> are the great white of Jaws fame..

This has been done to death already.

If, in order to provide a service used by a minority of guests, you need
to purchase it at already inflated commercial prices from an ISP, and then
provide the distribution infrastructure to a large number of rooms along
with the means to monitor and account for it, AND on top of all that
actually make a profit from it, then OF COURSE it will be expensive to use
broadband in a hotel.

Let's face it - all things in hotels are more expensive than elsewhere.

Prices in hotels will still be higher than elsewere even if the cost of
broadband to the public was reduced to something actually close to
reasonable.

That's just the nature of the business of taking in paying guests.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "Our entire company does most of its work on Linux."

Kent Smith

"Katipo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9dDVf.8752$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
>>> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
>>>the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
>>>
>>>Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
>>>rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
>>>
>>>Philip

>> From memory most were complaining about the cost of hotel BB. Last
>> time I went to CHCH and stayed in a hotel I took one look at the cost
>> and used my dial up modem.. Think Telecom are sharks these hotels
>> are the great white of Jaws fame..

> Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as
> telephone calls, internet, in room booze etc.

Everywhere? Most Hotels in USA have unlimited free BB. It's as common as
expecting a room to have a window.

-KENT

s.t.e.v.e.

Philip wrote:

> Interesting to see on TVNZ news tonight that ICANN members in Wellington
> for the organisation's conference have already commented critically on
> the low speeds and high cost of broadband in NZ.
>
> Perhaps that will encourage government to move quickly to regulate the
> rampant telco monopoly that is holding all of us back.
>
> Philip

Agreed.

Blind faith in the market has proven once again to be unfounded.

Never mistake the desire for profit as equating to getting the right job
done quickly and well.

Too often it means profit.....and the job not done or the wrong job done
altogether - though profitably.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:34:28 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:

>> Hotels everywhere charge like a wounded bull for "extras" such as
>> telephone calls, internet, in room booze etc.
>>

> Everywhere? Most Hotels in USA have unlimited free BB. It's as common as
> expecting a room to have a window.

Businesses in the USA don't have to pay $800/month +GST + data for full
speed ADSL.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"Vista - I wouldn't buy it with someone else's money. Then again What do I
know, I've only been testing the dog for the last 2-3 yrs..."

a different type of reference (shocked) SpringFlowers AutumnMoon Ruby 18 10-02-2007 05:05 PM
I'm shocked -- SHOCKED !! George Orwell DVD Video 35 04-19-2007 12:37 AM
I'm Shocked Bas C++ 11 03-04-2007 10:44 PM
Broadband or Fraudband? Philip NZ Computing 91 03-18-2006 12:06 AM
my friend claims a faulty CRT shocked him in the nads Lucas Tam Digital Photography 34 03-21-2005 12:44 PM

Advertisments