Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Monitoring Internet Usage

Reply
Thread Tools

Monitoring Internet Usage

 
 
kriskirk@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
(downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
do this?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet
> usage (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month.
> What's the easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any
> such logging built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out
> there that will do this?

Hi
Does the modem have snmp available? If not you could install the snmp
on each of the pc's and use something like mrtg on one pc to see the
ethernet stats.

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
> (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
> easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
> built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
> do this?
>

Get an old machine, add an extra LAN Card and load it with IPCop. Attach
the modem to the RED LAN card and get a 8 port switch for ~$40 and
attach that to your GREEN LAN Card in addition to you 4 PCs.

Load IpCop with AdvProxy and URLFilter.

Then use WINSCP to pull the logs onto a machine and use Webalizer to do
you analysis.

 
Reply With Quote
 
kriskirk@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
David wrote:
> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary electricity
> wastage.


Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so we
can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a nice
and simple way to get this information from the router?

 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
Justin wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
>> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
>> (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
>> easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
>> built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
>> do this?
>>

> Get an old machine, add an extra LAN Card and load it with IPCop. Attach
> the modem to the RED LAN card and get a 8 port switch for ~$40 and
> attach that to your GREEN LAN Card in addition to you 4 PCs.
>
> Load IpCop with AdvProxy and URLFilter.
>
> Then use WINSCP to pull the logs onto a machine and use Webalizer to do
> you analysis.
>


Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary electricity
wastage.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a 4 port ADSL modem with 4 PC's connected to it, sharing a
> broadband connection. I want to be able to tell how much internet usage
> (downloads/uploads) each PC (or port) has done each month. What's the
> easiest way to do this? Do the modems usually have any such logging
> built-in? If not, are there are freeware utilities out there that will
> do this?



No idea, but a little more information wouldnt go astray,
eg. Brand/Model of your router. or
Are your machines using the router for the LAN, or purely for intarweb, IOW
is all the traffic on the router heading in and out

IF the router has something like IPTABLES, or PF etc running it shouldnt be
too difficult to put together some sort of script that will keep a tab of
the traffic from ppp0 to eth[0-3]
Another possible option is finding out if one of the PC's can see everyones
traffic on the router, and run a script from there
But.. as you can see a *lot* more info is required
HTH
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> David wrote:
>> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary
>> electricity wastage.

>
> Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so we
> can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a nice
> and simple way to get this information from the router?


Not simple, no. I've been down that road.

Maybe install a traffic monitor on each PC and check that at the end of each
billing period? That's the easiest way I can think of. However I'd suggest
you all use the same utility as some under-report and some over-report
(IME).

Of course, if you're file sharing between the PCs then that scenario won't
work.
--
~Shaun~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2006
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:02:35 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary
>>> electricity wastage.

>>
>> Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so we
>> can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a nice
>> and simple way to get this information from the router?

>
> Not simple, no. I've been down that road.
>
> Maybe install a traffic monitor on each PC and check that at the end of each
> billing period? That's the easiest way I can think of. However I'd suggest
> you all use the same utility as some under-report and some over-report
> (IME).
>
> Of course, if you're file sharing between the PCs then that scenario won't
> work.

....or use a managed switch that stores this information?

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:02:35 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> David wrote:
>>>> Possibly overkill, not to mention the completely unnecessary
>>>> electricity wastage.
>>>
>>> Yeah all I want to do is to see who is using the most bandwidth so
>>> we can split our internet bill accordingly, that's all. Is there a
>>> nice and simple way to get this information from the router?

>>
>> Not simple, no. I've been down that road.
>>
>> Maybe install a traffic monitor on each PC and check that at the end
>> of each billing period? That's the easiest way I can think of.
>> However I'd suggest you all use the same utility as some
>> under-report and some over-report (IME).
>>
>> Of course, if you're file sharing between the PCs then that scenario
>> won't work.

> ...or use a managed switch that stores this information?


That would be the expensive solution, yes.
--
~Shaun~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
monitoring web usage wireless lan Ricardo Computer Support 1 09-13-2007 01:20 PM
monitoring internet usage Loeloe Computer Support 3 03-24-2007 11:27 AM
Computer Usage Monitoring Tools? Christopher.Hoche@gmail.com Computer Support 3 11-01-2006 01:34 PM
Monitoring Instant Messenger usage remotely Chris Computer Security 0 08-15-2004 12:11 AM
Monitoring bandwidth usage on dial-up? Max Quordlepleen Computer Support 14 11-09-2003 06:46 PM



Advertisments