Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Decent (cheap) backup program

Decent (cheap) backup program

Ashley

Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm realistic!)
backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup, which constantly
fails to work?

What I'm looking for:

1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big enough to
handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails, address book,
computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program that will allow partial
backups.

2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above averagely
computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly so. I'd rather the
damned things just worked without me having to use my brain figuring out how
and why!

3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up so,
unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I schedule it
to.

Suggestions welcomed

--
Ashley
www.cattitude.co.nz

Waylon Kenning

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:22:53 +1200, Ashley wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm realistic!)
> backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup, which constantly
> fails to work?

Depends on how valuable the data is really. Consider the cost to your
business if you lost the data. Then consider the cost of good data backup
program. Which one's cheaper, in terms of money, time and hassle? I've
always wished I made better backups of my data

I'd recommend software from http://www.veritas.com.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Look at Syncback

www.2brightsparks.com

I've used the free version for incremental backups for over two
years, and I know of one commercial use backing up to a server, all
without hitch.

You can back to CD or CDRW, or to another HDD or another
partition.

bambam

"Ashley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:wEhVf.8595$(E-Mail Removed):

> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm
> realistic!) backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup,
> which constantly fails to work?
>
> What I'm looking for:
>
> 1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big
> enough to handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails,
> address book, computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program
> that will allow partial backups.
>
> 2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above averagely
> computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly so. I'd rather
> the damned things just worked without me having to use my brain
> figuring out how and why!
>
> 3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up
> so, unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I
> schedule it to.
>
> Suggestions welcomed

Karen's Replicator

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Cobain Backup

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Both are freeware, but Karens Replicator is only free for non-commercial
use.

Craig Shore

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:22:53 +1200, "Ashley" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm realistic!)
>backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup, which constantly
>fails to work?
>
>What I'm looking for:
>
>1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big enough to
>handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails, address book,
>computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program that will allow partial
>backups.
>
>2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above averagely
>computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly so. I'd rather the
>damned things just worked without me having to use my brain figuring out how
>and why!
>
>3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up so,
>unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I schedule it
>to.
>
>Suggestions welcomed

I've been using Microsoft SyncToy which is part of the Win XP Powertoys.
It's free.

Enkidu

Ashley wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm
> realistic!) backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup,
> which constantly fails to work?

I've used Windows Backup for years, scheduled and scripted, with no
problems, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

Whatever system you choose, don't forget to test it periodically.

I don't know what medium you back up to, but maybe a simple 'xcopy'
would do the job for you.

Cheers,

Cliff

-=rjh=-

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:22:53 +1200, "Ashley" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm realistic!)
>> backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup, which constantly
>> fails to work?
>>
>> What I'm looking for:
>>
>> 1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big enough to
>> handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails, address book,
>> computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program that will allow partial
>> backups.
>>
>> 2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above averagely
>> computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly so. I'd rather the
>> damned things just worked without me having to use my brain figuring out how
>> and why!
>>
>> 3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up so,
>> unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I schedule it
>> to.
>>
>> Suggestions welcomed

> I've been using Microsoft SyncToy which is part of the Win XP Powertoys.
> It's free.

Sure is, but what a performance to get it. I *know* I have a genuine,
legal windows installation here, but MS wants me to validate my system
anyway; everytime you download from MS now you have to do this. Last
time I thought I'd just save the validation code I retrieved, but these
expire after a period of time - and it seems likely the validation tools
do, too. Once these tools only run on recent versions of Windows,
anybody who is trying to obtain older software for older versions of
Windows is hosed.

Value of going through this process, to me, is zero. I doubt that MS
gets much more out of it. What the hell are they thinking?

So yeah, SyncBack gets my vote, too.

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

I use HandyBackup (www.handybackup.net) and it's great stuff.

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

~misfit~

Ashley wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm
> realistic!) backup program that I can use to replace Windows backup,
> which constantly fails to work?
>
> What I'm looking for:
>
> 1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big
> enough to handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails,
> address book, computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program
> that will allow partial backups.
>
> 2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above averagely
> computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly so. I'd
> rather the damned things just worked without me having to use my
> brain figuring out how and why!
>
> 3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up
> so, unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I
> schedule it to.
>
> Suggestions welcomed

If you are using XP then you can't go past the excellent (free download)
utility from Microsoft, Synctoy. The best siftware they've written in 12
years IMO.
--
~Shaun~

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Craig Shore wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:22:53 +1200, "Ashley"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap (preferably free, but I'm
>>> realistic!) backup program that I can use to replace Windows
>>> backup, which constantly fails to work?
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for:
>>>
>>> 1. I don't do complete backups, as the disk I backup to isn't big
>>> enough to handle it. Instead, I just backup My documents, emails,
>>> address book, computer favourites etc, so it needs to be a program
>>> that will allow partial backups.
>>>
>>> 2. It needs to be idiot-proof - I'm probably slightly above
>>> averagely computer literate for a 44yo woman, but only grudgingly
>>> so. I'd rather the damned things just worked without me having to
>>> use my brain figuring out how and why!
>>>
>>> 3. It has to be reliable. It's crucial business data I'm backing up
>>> so, unlike windows backup (don't bother anyone) it has to go when I
>>> schedule it to.
>>>
>>> Suggestions welcomed

>> I've been using Microsoft SyncToy which is part of the Win XP
>> Powertoys. It's free.
>>

> Sure is, but what a performance to get it. I *know* I have a genuine,
> legal windows installation here, but MS wants me to validate my system
> anyway; everytime you download from MS now you have to do this. Last
> time I thought I'd just save the validation code I retrieved, but
> these expire after a period of time - and it seems likely the
> validation tools do, too. Once these tools only run on recent
> versions of Windows, anybody who is trying to obtain older software
> for older versions of Windows is hosed.

Aye, Synctoy is XP only.

> Value of going through this process, to me, is zero. I doubt that MS
> gets much more out of it. What the hell are they thinking?
>
> So yeah, SyncBack gets my vote, too.

<whispers> If you get the filename from the MS site and then look around
certain P2P or torrent sites software like this can often be found. Saves
jumping through flaming hoops of fire.

I use Synctoy and think it's the ****. (Excuse profanity, it just seemed
apt). I "echo" my selected folders to another (USB) drive, some to another
machine, and some to re-writable media. It's a breeze to use, simple,
dummy-friendly interface. It'll only over-write files that have been changed
in echo mode, left to right. In sync mode it'll copy changes both ways.
There are other modes too.
--
~Shaun~