Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can not copy "My Music" folder to backup RW.

Can not copy "My Music" folder to backup RW.

PC

Greetings all.

XP Pro, all service packs, Nero 7, Media Player 10, 3 x CD/DVD +-RW/DL/RAM
drives, Athlon 2500+, 1GB Ram, 120GB Sata C (NTFS):, etc.

Ok so it's time to do the backups.
As I'd just had a recent C: failure I hadn't as yet setup my favourite
backup program that zips and burns direct to RW/RAM disk.
So for the moment we'll just drag and drop to Rewriteables.
Out come the RW's and start drag n drop, Email store folder, Addressbook and
several other folders/files copied no problems.

Start to copy My Documents, goes fine till it get's to "My Music"

Error "Cannot copy filename:Files on this CD-ROM are read-only: You cannot
copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive"

After a lot of stuffing around with reformating disks/new disks and trying
to reset Read Only attributes I have found the problem lies with the folder
name "My Music" .
So far I have determined the following.

* Any folder with the name 'My Music' can not be copied to a RW (or RAM)
disk without generating the error.
* No files or folders can be copied to a "My Music" folder on a RW disk.
(error as above)
* Renaming the RW 'My Music' folder still generates errors when trying to
copy files into it. (which suggests there is an hidden attribute attached to
the original folder)
* Whereas a Folder on the RW with any other name will accept the contents
from (C My Music without qualm.
* Most of the folders in My Documents including My Music have the read only
attribute set and can't be unset.
* A Zipped copy of My Documents copies ok to RW (didn't try it with the name
'My Music.zip' though) as long as it's not to a My Music folder.

So
Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way by XPP.
Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and digital rights.
Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My Music folder?

Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date, Root kit
Revealer found nothing.

I'm stumped.

Cheers
Paul.

~misfit~

PC wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> XP Pro, all service packs, Nero 7, Media Player 10, 3 x CD/DVD
> +-RW/DL/RAM drives, Athlon 2500+, 1GB Ram, 120GB Sata C (NTFS):, etc.
>
> Ok so it's time to do the backups.
> As I'd just had a recent C: failure I hadn't as yet setup my
> favourite backup program that zips and burns direct to RW/RAM disk.
> So for the moment we'll just drag and drop to Rewriteables.
> Out come the RW's and start drag n drop, Email store folder,
> Addressbook and several other folders/files copied no problems.
>
> Start to copy My Documents, goes fine till it get's to "My Music"
>
> Error "Cannot copy filename:Files on this CD-ROM are read-only: You
> cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive"
>
> After a lot of stuffing around with reformating disks/new disks and
> trying to reset Read Only attributes I have found the problem lies
> with the folder name "My Music" .
> So far I have determined the following.
>
> * Any folder with the name 'My Music' can not be copied to a RW (or
> RAM) disk without generating the error.
> * No files or folders can be copied to a "My Music" folder on a RW
> disk. (error as above)
> * Renaming the RW 'My Music' folder still generates errors when
> trying to copy files into it. (which suggests there is an hidden
> attribute attached to the original folder)
> * Whereas a Folder on the RW with any other name will accept the
> contents from (C My Music without qualm.
> * Most of the folders in My Documents including My Music have the
> read only attribute set and can't be unset.
> * A Zipped copy of My Documents copies ok to RW (didn't try it with
> the name 'My Music.zip' though) as long as it's not to a My Music
> folder.
> So
> Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way
> by XPP. Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and digital
> rights. Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My Music
> folder?
> Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date,
> Root kit Revealer found nothing.
>
> I'm stumped.

Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's been bought
in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads (that will only go to
"My Music")?

Just speculation.

Goodnight.
--
~Shaun~

impossible

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PC wrote:
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> XP Pro, all service packs, Nero 7, Media Player 10, 3 x CD/DVD
>> +-RW/DL/RAM drives, Athlon 2500+, 1GB Ram, 120GB Sata C (NTFS):,
>> etc.
>>
>> Ok so it's time to do the backups.
>> As I'd just had a recent C: failure I hadn't as yet setup my
>> favourite backup program that zips and burns direct to RW/RAM disk.
>> So for the moment we'll just drag and drop to Rewriteables.
>> Out come the RW's and start drag n drop, Email store folder,
>> Addressbook and several other folders/files copied no problems.
>>
>> Start to copy My Documents, goes fine till it get's to "My Music"
>>
>> Error "Cannot copy filename:Files on this CD-ROM are read-only: You
>> cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive"
>>
>> After a lot of stuffing around with reformating disks/new disks and
>> trying to reset Read Only attributes I have found the problem lies
>> with the folder name "My Music" .
>> So far I have determined the following.
>>
>> * Any folder with the name 'My Music' can not be copied to a RW (or
>> RAM) disk without generating the error.
>> * No files or folders can be copied to a "My Music" folder on a RW
>> disk. (error as above)
>> * Renaming the RW 'My Music' folder still generates errors when
>> trying to copy files into it. (which suggests there is an hidden
>> attribute attached to the original folder)
>> * Whereas a Folder on the RW with any other name will accept the
>> contents from (C My Music without qualm.
>> * Most of the folders in My Documents including My Music have the
>> read only attribute set and can't be unset.
>> * A Zipped copy of My Documents copies ok to RW (didn't try it with
>> the name 'My Music.zip' though) as long as it's not to a My Music
>> folder.
>> So
>> Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way
>> by XPP. Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and
>> digital
>> rights. Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My
>> Music
>> folder?
>> Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date,
>> Root kit Revealer found nothing.
>>
>> I'm stumped.

> Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's
> been bought in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads
> (that will only go to "My Music")?
>
> Just speculation.

I don't have this problem on XP Pro, so I don't think you can put this
on Microsoft. I'd suspect that some application has installed
anti-copy restrictions to the My Music folder.

David

impossible wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> PC wrote:
>>> Greetings all.
>>>
>>> XP Pro, all service packs, Nero 7, Media Player 10, 3 x CD/DVD
>>> +-RW/DL/RAM drives, Athlon 2500+, 1GB Ram, 120GB Sata C (NTFS):,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Ok so it's time to do the backups.
>>> As I'd just had a recent C: failure I hadn't as yet setup my
>>> favourite backup program that zips and burns direct to RW/RAM disk.
>>> So for the moment we'll just drag and drop to Rewriteables.
>>> Out come the RW's and start drag n drop, Email store folder,
>>> Addressbook and several other folders/files copied no problems.
>>>
>>> Start to copy My Documents, goes fine till it get's to "My Music"
>>>
>>> Error "Cannot copy filename:Files on this CD-ROM are read-only: You
>>> cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive"
>>>
>>> After a lot of stuffing around with reformating disks/new disks and
>>> trying to reset Read Only attributes I have found the problem lies
>>> with the folder name "My Music" .
>>> So far I have determined the following.
>>>
>>> * Any folder with the name 'My Music' can not be copied to a RW (or
>>> RAM) disk without generating the error.
>>> * No files or folders can be copied to a "My Music" folder on a RW
>>> disk. (error as above)
>>> * Renaming the RW 'My Music' folder still generates errors when
>>> trying to copy files into it. (which suggests there is an hidden
>>> attribute attached to the original folder)
>>> * Whereas a Folder on the RW with any other name will accept the
>>> contents from (C My Music without qualm.
>>> * Most of the folders in My Documents including My Music have the
>>> read only attribute set and can't be unset.
>>> * A Zipped copy of My Documents copies ok to RW (didn't try it with
>>> the name 'My Music.zip' though) as long as it's not to a My Music
>>> folder.
>>> So
>>> Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way
>>> by XPP. Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and
>>> digital
>>> rights. Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My
>>> Music
>>> folder?
>>> Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date,
>>> Root kit Revealer found nothing.
>>>
>>> I'm stumped.

>> Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's
>> been bought in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads
>> (that will only go to "My Music")?
>>
>> Just speculation.
>>

> I don't have this problem on XP Pro, so I don't think you can put this
> on Microsoft. I'd suspect that some application has installed
> anti-copy restrictions to the My Music folder.

Weird, and unlikely but you never know these days. I'd recommend
avoiding the default folders: My Music, My Pictures and My Documents,
mainly because spyware is likely to look there if it wants to steal your
identity etc, and because these folders are in your user account, music
and pictures are often something you would like to share with other
users of the computer (but don't give them write access in case they use
iTunes or WMP and it screws around with your tags). Mine goes in
D:\Music, D:\Documents and D:\Photos and I back this drive up regularly.
Everything on C: could get trashed and I wouldn't really care.

Bok

PC wrote:
> So Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way by XPP.
> Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and digital rights.
> Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My Music folder?

Is it possible you are attempting to overwrite an existing read-only
copy of the 'My Music' folder on the CDRW? That is likely to fail with
the error you reported.

Have you tried backing it up to a blank CD-R?
Zipping it and backing up to the CD-RW?

> Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date, Root kit
> Revealer found nothing.
>
> I'm stumped.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

~misfit~

David wrote:
> impossible wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's
>>> been bought in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads
>>> (that will only go to "My Music")?
>>>
>>> Just speculation.
>>>

>> I don't have this problem on XP Pro, so I don't think you can put
>> this on Microsoft. I'd suspect that some application has installed
>> anti-copy restrictions to the My Music folder.
>>

> Weird, and unlikely but you never know these days. I'd recommend
> avoiding the default folders: My Music, My Pictures and My Documents,
> mainly because spyware is likely to look there if it wants to steal
> your identity etc, and because these folders are in your user
> account, music and pictures are often something you would like to
> share with other users of the computer (but don't give them write
> access in case they use iTunes or WMP and it screws around with your
> tags). Mine goes in D:\Music, D:\Documents and D:\Photos and I back
> this drive up regularly. Everything on C: could get trashed and I
> wouldn't really care.

I do the same, and use MS Synctoy to echo the folders (as well as my email
store folder and my NG store folders amongst others) to another machine on
my LAN.
--
~Shaun~

Adam

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 04:09:12 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's been bought
>in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads (that will only go to
>"My Music")?

Snippied the original post ... so (to whoever) ...

Could it be the dread directory nesting/pathname limit that we've had
a few threads about lately?

Check you haven't got too many nested subdirectories.

Adam.

PC

"Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4425cc46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PC wrote:
>> So Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way by
>> XPP.
>> Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and digital rights.
>> Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My Music folder?

> Is it possible you are attempting to overwrite an existing read-only copy
> of the 'My Music' folder on the CDRW? That is likely to fail with the
> error you reported.
>
> Have you tried backing it up to a blank CD-R?
> Zipping it and backing up to the CD-RW?
>

>> Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date, Root
>> kit Revealer found nothing.
>>
>> I'm stumped.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Paul.

Bok

Haven't tried a CD/DVD-R as yet, thanks for the idea.
Yes did zip My Music to a Zip, this copied OK to the RW.

Cheers
Paul.

PC

<Adam> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 04:09:12 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's been
>>bought
>>in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads (that will only go to
>>"My Music")?

> Snippied the original post ... so (to whoever) ...
>
> Could it be the dread directory nesting/pathname limit that we've had
> a few threads about lately?
>
> Check you haven't got too many nested subdirectories.
>
> Adam.

Adam

Thanks for the thought, but if I create a folder with 'any' other name bar
"My Music" on the RW disk the contents of My Music (from My Documents) will
copy into it no problem at all.

As I said in my OP the key issue appears to be the name of the folder i.e.
"My Music" that is causing the problem.

The Audio/Video Media related Software on my PC is:

Windows Media Player 10 and Windows Movie Maker.
Nero 7 (full install, Nero Showtime, Nero Sound Trax etc)
Ulead Video Studio 9 & Media Studio 7
Creative Audigy 2 ZS software suite.
Most of the current Cyberlink video/media apps.
Audacity

Should anyone recall an issue with those programs and the My Music folder,
please do post.

Cheers
Paul.

PC

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dCuVf.8723$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4425cc46$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> PC wrote:
>>> So Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way
>>> by XPP.
>>> Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and digital rights.
>>> Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My Music folder?

>> Is it possible you are attempting to overwrite an existing read-only copy
>> of the 'My Music' folder on the CDRW? That is likely to fail with the
>> error you reported.
>>
>> Have you tried backing it up to a blank CD-R?
>> Zipping it and backing up to the CD-RW?
>>

>>> Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date, Root
>>> kit Revealer found nothing.
>>>
>>> I'm stumped.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Paul.
>>>

> Bok
>
> Haven't tried a CD/DVD-R as yet, thanks for the idea.
> Yes did zip My Music to a Zip, this copied OK to the RW.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

Bok

And the mystery deepens.
Just used Nero Express to burn 'My Music' to DVD-R
No problems, no errors and the files successfully copied.

Cheers
Paul.