Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ajax Write. Any one seen this before??

Ajax Write. Any one seen this before??

Mutley

Online word processor.

http://www.ajaxwrite.com/

Works only with Firefox..

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Online word processor.
>
> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
>
> Works only with Firefox..

Yes, found on Techcrunch a few days ago... And before I read your post (just
reading the subject) I was going to object: it works only on Firefox.

C'mon, we are talking about the internet as a platform, not a specific
browser. Adn people complained about things working on IE only...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

-=rjh=-

Mutley wrote:
> Online word processor.
>
> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
>
> Works only with Firefox..

Yes, it is absolutely awful. This will set online applications back a
few months if people hold this up as an example of how it should be done.

Firefox only; very limited functionality. No online storage - what the
hell is the point of being able to edit a document from anywhere if you
have to have your document with you.

Doesn't compare to even Gmail's editor for features or functionality.
I've started to use gmail as my main wordprocessor now, simply because
both the editor and the documents can be edited from anywhere. Autosaves
automatically, too. And I usually email my documents anyway.

And way behind http://www.fckeditor.net/demo/default.html which has a
simply amazing set of features and works with IE, FF, Mozilla, Netscape etc.

Philip

Mutley wrote:
> Online word processor.
>
> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
>
> Works only with Firefox..

Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...

Sucks like an Electrolux.

Philip

Waylon Kenning

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:48:46 +1200, Philip wrote:

> Sucks like an Electrolux.

But boy do they suck well!

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.
<insert witty quote here>

Mutley

Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutley wrote:
>> Online word processor.
>>
>> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
>>
>> Works only with Firefox..

>Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
>locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
>connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
>sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...
>
>Sucks like an Electrolux.
>
>Philip

It's a pain that it does not work with Opera.

What do you mean
"Can't be locally saved. "?? I tried it and it saved back to my hard
disk or a flash ROM..

Philip

Mutley wrote:
> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mutley wrote:
>>> Online word processor.
>>>
>>> http://www.ajaxwrite.com/
>>>
>>> Works only with Firefox..

>> Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
>> locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
>> connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
>> sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...
>>
>> Sucks like an Electrolux.
>>
>> Philip

> It's a pain that it does not work with Opera.
>
> What do you mean
> "Can't be locally saved. "?? I tried it and it saved back to my hard
> disk or a flash ROM..

You can, in theory, save the work. You can't save the application
locally so far as I could see, so if you're not on line, you can't work.

Possibly this is meant for people in forn parts who have real broadband,
rather than Telecom's not-very-elastic-band.

Philip

-=rjh=-

Philip wrote:
> Mutley wrote:
>> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Doesn't work that well with Firefox! 30 seconds to load, can't be
>>> locally saved, my work is therefore dependent on a reliable Internet
>>> connection, doesn't have spell checking, can't use more than 7 font
>>> sizes, won't run on my lappy on the bus...
>>>
>>> Sucks like an Electrolux.
>>>
>>> Philip

>> It's a pain that it does not work with Opera.
>>
>> What do you mean
>> "Can't be locally saved. "?? I tried it and it saved back to my hard
>> disk or a flash ROM..

> You can, in theory, save the work. You can't save the application
> locally so far as I could see, so if you're not on line, you can't work.

It is an online application, why would you even think about saving the
application locally? That's like trying to save your webmail application
locally!

The compromise you make with current online apps like ajaxwrite, is that
it has poorer functionality than even the most basic of equivalent local
apps (which would be Wordpad in this case), in exchange for being able
to use the application from anywhere.

This particular implementation is a *very* poor example, as there is
very little point in having an online app that you can't save or display
online - if you have to save locally, and not be tied to a particular
machine, you save to a USB key, and if you are doing that you might as
well put your application on the key as well. Ajaxwrite has very few
features and lags well behind what is currently available elsewhere.

> Possibly this is meant for people in forn parts who have real broadband,
> rather than Telecom's not-very-elastic-band.

Nevertheless, online apps when done properly definitely have their
place, and probably the most widely used example is webmail. And that
all works just fine on dialup - broadband is *not* a requirement when
these apps are done right.