Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Trade me 'Page views' counter

Trade me 'Page views' counter

news.xtra.co.nz

I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter at
the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.

To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have only
viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
increments the counter by 10.

I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
to dynamic ip allocation).

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter at
>the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
>
>To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have only
>viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
>increments the counter by 10.
>
>I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
>addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
>true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
>to dynamic ip allocation).

But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
viewed the auction, it would only count as one.

A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.

However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
Trade Me "spying" on them...

news.xtra.co.nz

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter
>>at
>>the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
>>
>>To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have
>>only
>>viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
>>increments the counter by 10.
>>
>>I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
>>addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
>>true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact
>>due
>>to dynamic ip allocation).

> But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
> viewed the auction, it would only count as one.
>
> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
>
> However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
> Trade Me "spying" on them...

news.xtra.co.nz

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter
>>at
>>the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
>>
>>To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have
>>only
>>viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
>>increments the counter by 10.
>>
>>I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
>>addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
>>true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact
>>due
>>to dynamic ip allocation).

> But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
> viewed the auction, it would only count as one.
>
> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
>
> However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
> Trade Me "spying" on them...

Yes, that would be even better. I guess, I was assuming that 2 people within
the same organisation are not that likely to view the same auction. And, if
they did, then it would be because they sit next to each other and that
should count as '1'.

Dave Taylor

Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.

Isn't this the "standard"?
I find it strange that it is not done that way on that web site.

--
Ciao, Dave

mark

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:kztUf.8134$(E-Mail Removed):

>> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
>> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
>> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
>> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
>>
>> However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
>> Trade Me "spying" on them...

> Yes, that would be even better. I guess, I was assuming that 2 people
> within the same organisation are not that likely to view the same
> auction. And, if they did, then it would be because they sit next to
> each other and that should count as '1'.

Unless your workplace has several thousand employees

Fred Dagg

On 23 Mar 2006 22:11:42 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
>> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
>> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
>> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
>>

>Isn't this the "standard"?
>I find it strange that it is not done that way on that web site.

Yup, I would think it would be the most logical.

I guess it makes their site look busier, and sellers happier, if it
appears that more people have viewed each auction.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:16:57 +1200, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 23 Mar 2006 22:11:42 +1200, Dave Taylor
><(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
>>> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
>>> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
>>> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
>>>

>>Isn't this the "standard"?
>>I find it strange that it is not done that way on that web site.

>Yup, I would think it would be the most logical.
>
>I guess it makes their site look busier, and sellers happier, if it
>appears that more people have viewed each auction.

But a potential buyer that views the auction multiple times is
obviously more interested in the auction than someone who just views
it once hence even repeat viewings should be counted.

I would think that someone who views an auction a number of times is
more likely to bid than someone who views it once - hence if an
auction has a high view count then there's a higher chance of more
bidding regardless of the actual number of distinct viewers.

There will always be the exceptions which no doubt somebody will point
out (e.g. the auction where the one bidder checks on his status every
15 minutes or where the seller checks it 4 times/hour thus distorting
the views).

Chris Mayhew

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>> I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter at
>> the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
>>
>> To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have only
>> viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
>> increments the counter by 10.
>>
>> I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
>> addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
>> true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
>> to dynamic ip allocation).

> But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
> viewed the auction, it would only count as one.
>
> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
>
> However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
> Trade Me "spying" on them...

But what if those 5 people each pressed F5 10 times and those 5 people
new 5 people ....

*K*

hehe, oldest trick in the book Im afraid....... any auction i run I
always log on near closing time and do exactly that, press refresh as
many times as i can so the poor suckers who are waiting to bid at the
last second think there are 40 others waiting to do the same so they
bid way beyond what they were going to (or should) works a treat!
........sorry sorry, trademe will shoot me for this Im sure... NOT!