Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom exchange locations

Telecom exchange locations

news.xtra.co.nz

Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?

I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
(when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
exchange.

Peter

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
>
> I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from
> adsl2 (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close
> to an exchange.

Good thinking.
I'd be interested to know how many telephone exchanges there are in NZ, to
verify Telecom's claim that well over 90% are covered by ADSL access.

Peter

colinco

In article news.xtra.co.nz says...
> I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
> (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
> exchange.

Telecom claim to be moving the DSL equipment out into neighbourhood
cabinets to reduce the length of copper. Eventually the number of
exchanges will be drastically reduced. They might be selling off as much
surplus property as possible to finance some of this

Mutlley

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
>
>I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
>(when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
>exchange.

You will be hard pushed to get an address list or even see the words
Telephone Exchange on a building these days. The only indication may
ne a NZ coat of arms on the side of a large square building with a MW
dish and cell phone aerials on top

-=rjh=-

Mutlley wrote:
> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
>>
>> I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
>> (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
>> exchange.
>>

> You will be hard pushed to get an address list or even see the words
> Telephone Exchange on a building these days. The only indication may
> ne a NZ coat of arms on the side of a large square building with a MW
> dish and cell phone aerials on top

Our local exchange is small and has none of the above. And best of all,
it is probably <500m from our place. Still stuck with expensive and slow
ADSL, though

BTW, I would assume that even asking for this information in the US
would get probably get a DHS squad on your doorstep PDQ. Apparently
"terrorists" would find the location of exchanges to be useful information.

-=rjh=-

colinco wrote:
> In article news.xtra.co.nz says...
>> I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
>> (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
>> exchange.
>>

> Telecom claim to be moving the DSL equipment out into neighbourhood
> cabinets to reduce the length of copper. Eventually the number of
> exchanges will be drastically reduced. They might be selling off as much
> surplus property as possible to finance some of this

Surely not, won't they just finance it by charging exorbitant rents to
ISPs and others who want to use their circuits when unbundling happens?
When few ISPs take up the offer, Telecom will be able to tell the govt
they were right all along and that unbundling was pointless and of no
benefit, even though the real killer will have been the ADSL2+ roadside
gear.

Basically, we're hosed. Bet even Vodafone's wireless BB will be too
expensive, purely because they only have to compete against Telecom -
since Woosh will probably not be a major player by then.

cyril

Telecom claim that when they roll out there upcomming FTTC (Fibre to
the curb) and ADSL2+ from those curb side cabinets, that they will be
reducing there number of exhanges from 700 to 100, discarding some 600
properties.

As I see it this must be a plus as to achieve the above the backbone
fibre that will feed this will be significantly beefed up removing the
current traffic bottle necks.

>From my understanding each of these cabinets can contain lines cards in

48 increments and upto 192subs/cabinet max, each cabinet is part of a
clusters of upto 30 local cabinets (ie 1440subs) being feed from a
24Gb/s fibre set, this gives roughly 17Mb/s for each sub if all running
max'd out. It is telecoms intention to drop the pots service all
together, therefore a ana is required at each residence, or a dsl
router and ip phone.

All this assumes that the main backbone is up to speed to feed all
this.

Cyril

colinco

In article -=rjh=- says...
> Surely not, won't they just finance it by charging exorbitant rents to
> ISPs and others who want to use their circuits when unbundling happens?

If the exchange goes, so will the copper. "IF" Telecom let ISPs share
their fibre to the curb the ISP will have to dig their own hole to live
in.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <HSbUf.7957$(E-Mail Removed)>, "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
>
>I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
>(when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
>exchange.

Sadly, data that you get from telecom may not be correct. I can see a box
containing all the ADSL connection stuff you can possibly want ... but
apparently, before telecom will turn it on, they need 8 requests from
different phone numbers that connect to it to do so. How this happens when
you don't know that it's there in the first place eludes me ... but obiously
it is possible.

As is usual with telecom, don't take "no" as any kind of an answer

Bruce

(if there were any)

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:51:09 -0800, someone purporting to be cyril didst
scrawl:

*SNIP*
> All this assumes that the main backbone is up to speed to feed all
> this.

If they use Gig-E it is. If they persist with using ATM, well, who knows.
The cell overheads with ATM are ridiculous (30%?), and that's part of the
reason why ISP's have been crying out for NNI to replace the need for ATM
links for the UBS back haul.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."