Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Vista delayed to 2007 Q1!

Windows Vista delayed to 2007 Q1!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...vista_delayed/

I reckon this won't be the last delay!

AND, I personally know of three people (not counting those who have been
discussed in WellyLUG who in the last two weeks have completely wiped
Windows off their computer and replaced it with SuSE Linux 10, and each
has said more or less "no regrets and no going back".

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "What many people are discovering is that the
Linux desktop works just fine."

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:16:46 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...vista_delayed/
>
>I reckon this won't be the last delay!
>
>AND, I personally know of three people (not counting those who have been
>discussed in WellyLUG who in the last two weeks have completely wiped
>Windows off their computer and replaced it with SuSE Linux 10, and each
>has said more or less "no regrets and no going back".

Good for you. I know 6 people that have installed Windows.

Vista will most likely stamp out Linux on the desktop, anyway. Why
would someone in their right mind want to use a flakey, slow,
incompatible and feature-lacking Linux box when they could use one
with the power and usability of Vista, all for the sake of a couple of
hundred bucks?

Same with server-side. Watch this space.

E. Scrooge

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...vista_delayed/
>
> I reckon this won't be the last delay!
>
> AND, I personally know of three people (not counting those who have been
> discussed in WellyLUG who in the last two weeks have completely wiped
> Windows off their computer and replaced it with SuSE Linux 10, and each
> has said more or less "no regrets and no going back".
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "What many people are discovering is that the
> Linux desktop works just fine."

Apart from you and your 3 mates who else really cares?

You'd save power by turning of your PC and cutting the plug right off it so
you won't be tempted to use it again.

Since you can of course do what you like with your PC, just why should
everyone else use the same software and programs as you try to do?

You don't seem to be happy unless everyone else does what you do, and you
can't seem to enjoy what you've got unless you know that everyone else is
using the same crap.

E. Scrooge

Peter

Fred Dagg wrote:
> Good for you. I know 6 people that have installed Windows.

Vista will most likely stamp out Microsoft on the desktop, anyway. Why
would someone in their right mind want to use a flakey, slow,
incompatible and feature-lacking Windos box when they could use one
with the power and usability of Linux? And that is before you start
considering all the problems with Windos viruses, worms, trojans and
spyware.

Same with server-side. Watch this space.

Peter

Craig Shore

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:38:10 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
wrote:

>Since you can of course do what you like with your PC, just why should
>everyone else use the same software and programs as you try to do?

Because Microsoft is evil and must be eliminated. Linux is the way to do it, we
must get everyone to downgrade.

E. Scrooge

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:38:10 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)>
> wrote:
>
>>Since you can of course do what you like with your PC, just why should
>>everyone else use the same software and programs as you try to do?

> Because Microsoft is evil and must be eliminated. Linux is the way to do
> it, we
> must get everyone to downgrade.

But just how many people that use Linux are also Nazis as well?

E. Scrooge

Waylon Kenning

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:16:46 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> AND, I personally know of three people (not counting those who have been
> discussed in WellyLUG who in the last two weeks have completely wiped
> Windows off their computer and replaced it with SuSE Linux 10, and each
> has said more or less "no regrets and no going back".

I tell ya, this is how the revolution starts comrade, one desktop at a
time!

I'm using Fedora Core 5 at the moment. I'm surprised you hadn't jumped on
me when my headers said I was using Pan over Agent. I figured I wanted to
see how Linux was doing these days.

Cool points:

1) Yum is still awesome. Command line, but still awesome.

2) I can have multiple sounds playing at the same time. Just like Windows
98! Well, I was using Fedora Core 3, and by default it was only one sound
at a time. Now with FC5 by default, there's lots of sounds at a time.

3) Drivers. I didn't install any, it didn't ask for any, I was happy, the
computer was happy.

Uncool points:

1) A program was playing sound that I didn't want, so I closed it. It
didn't want to die, so I xkilled it. This however locked up the sound. I
tried switching to runtime 1, and then back to 5. This didn't help. I
needed to reboot to get the sound back.

2) I downloaded a rar file. The rar file has a pretty icon and a default
program associated with it (Archive Manager). Archive Manager doesn't open
rar files it tells me.

3) I like watching videos. So I download mplayer. Oh, and then I download
a GUI, Kplayer. Oh, and then I download all the codecs and put them in
/usr/lib/win32 I believe. Oh, and because I like watching movies from
within Firefox, I download mplayer-plugin. Which I need to compile. And I
try, but doesn't work on my system because of random cryptic error. So I
don't watch videos from my web browser

I'll see how long I stick with FC5. At least, now I can talk about my
experiences with a modern version of Linux.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Rimu Atkinson

> Uncool points:
>
> 1) A program was playing sound that I didn't want, so I closed it. It
> didn't want to die, so I xkilled it. This however locked up the sound. I
> tried switching to runtime 1, and then back to 5. This didn't help. I
> needed to reboot to get the sound back.
>
> 2) I downloaded a rar file. The rar file has a pretty icon and a default
> program associated with it (Archive Manager). Archive Manager doesn't open
> rar files it tells me.
>
> 3) I like watching videos. So I download mplayer. Oh, and then I download
> a GUI, Kplayer. Oh, and then I download all the codecs and put them in
> /usr/lib/win32 I believe. Oh, and because I like watching movies from
> within Firefox, I download mplayer-plugin. Which I need to compile. And I
> try, but doesn't work on my system because of random cryptic error. So I
> don't watch videos from my web browser
>
> I'll see how long I stick with FC5. At least, now I can talk about my
> experiences with a modern version of Linux.

yeah, see that's the sorta bullshit which i don't have time for.

BrianM

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:16:46 +1000, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...vista_delayed/
>
> I reckon this won't be the last delay!
>
> AND, I personally know of three people (not counting those who have been
> discussed in WellyLUG who in the last two weeks have completely wiped
> Windows off their computer and replaced it with SuSE Linux 10, and each
> has said more or less "no regrets and no going back".
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

No dual-boot migration, just cold turkey ?

cheers
BrianM

--
"It was just a Corvette"
Vin Diesel xXx

Patrick FitzGerald

What has delayed Vista - hopefully it is because Microsoft is having
trouble getting their nasty Palladium working.

Palladium , or whatever it is called today, is a hardware / software
straitjacket that makes YOU the untrusted person in your computer.

Patrick