Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is Vista really now to be released in 2007?

Is Vista really now to be released in 2007?

-=rjh=-

Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement
by Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.

Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

Brett Roberts

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4420c773$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
> Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
>
> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx

- business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
- consumer availability in January 2007
- consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

thingy

Brett Roberts wrote:
> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4420c773$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
>>Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
>>
>>Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx
>
> - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
> - consumer availability in January 2007
> - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06
>
> Brett Roberts
> Microsoft NZ

So buy a xmas present and then have to pay for a Vista upgrade after Xmas?

I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

regards

Thing

-=rjh=-

thingy wrote:
> Brett Roberts wrote:
>> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4420c773$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an
>>> announcement by Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
>>>
>>> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx
>>

>> - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
>> - consumer availability in January 2007
>> - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06
>>
>> Brett Roberts
>> Microsoft NZ
>>

> So buy a xmas present and then have to pay for a Vista upgrade after Xmas?
>
> I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
> PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

Surely not, when Apple has a new OS due for release, they include the
upgrade to the new OS for free if you buy the system within a certain
time of the new OS being released - like around a month or three.

Wouldn't MS do the same?

(Not that most customers would face installing a new OS, especially one
as difficult to install as Windows is. I guess Apple would be easier to
upgrade, as it isn't a totally new OS).

I'm a bit annoyed about this - I have a possible window of opportunity
to buy a new laptop in November, and I think I would have preferred
Vista on it. Maybe I'll have to pass on that.

Also, this delays the stream of good secondhand gear coming onto the
market as people upgrade

-=rjh=-

Brett Roberts wrote:
> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4420c773$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
>> Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
>>
>> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx
>
> - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
> - consumer availability in January 2007
> - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
frame than normal.

IE7 delayed until then, too?

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:38:21 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>> I would have thought a pre-xmas pitch would have sold lots of
>> PCs....could be an un-happy xmas for box sellers...

>Surely not, when Apple has a new OS due for release, they include the
>upgrade to the new OS for free if you buy the system within a certain
>time of the new OS being released - like around a month or three.
>
>Wouldn't MS do the same?

Yes.

Mercury

> I'm a bit annoyed about this - I have a possible window of opportunity to
> buy a new laptop in November, and I think I would have preferred Vista on
> it. Maybe I'll have to pass on that.

Why not get the laptop without an OS and put the beta on yourself?

GraB

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:39:43 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement
>by Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
>
>Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

It was mentioned on TV3 news tonight - postponed to January 07.

Nathan Mercer

-=rjh=- wrote:
> >> Not that I should care, but PC World had a reference to an announcement by
> >> Jim Allchin, but the article has been removed.
> >>
> >> Anybody from MS here to confirm this?

> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx
> >
> > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
> > - consumer availability in January 2007
> > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

> Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
> run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
> frame than normal.

The beta's generally expire in a year from installation. Regardless we
make a Community Technology Preview build of Windows Vista available
every 2-3 months, this will continue after the Q2CY06 release that
Brett refers to above through to the final release

Today's announcement has more to do with packaging form factors than
the Windows Vista products. The business availability of Windows Vista
will be in November 2006 with general consumer and new pc availability
in January 2007.

Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.

These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
Windows Vista to customers.

> IE7 delayed until then, too?

Most likely, no. I will post some more info when I can.

Cheers
Nathan

E. Scrooge

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx
>> >
>> > - business availability for Windows Vista in November 2006
>> > - consumer availability in January 2007
>> > - consumer beta (2m users) in Q2 CY06

>> Thanks, that's straight from the source and quite clear. Will the Beta
>> run (ie, not expire) until the final release? That is a much longer time
>> frame than normal.

> The beta's generally expire in a year from installation. Regardless we
> make a Community Technology Preview build of Windows Vista available
> every 2-3 months, this will continue after the Q2CY06 release that
> Brett refers to above through to the final release
>
> Today's announcement has more to do with packaging form factors than
> the Windows Vista products. The business availability of Windows Vista
> will be in November 2006 with general consumer and new pc availability
> in January 2007.
>
> Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
> different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
> preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
> Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
> product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
> final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
> made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
> OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
> shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.
>
> These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
> that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
> Windows Vista to customers.
>
>> IE7 delayed until then, too?

> Most likely, no. I will post some more info when I can.
>
> Cheers
> Nathan

How do you explain the real reason for the delay of Vista as according to
MICROSOFT SEATTLE , which is on STUFF under the Business section for all to
see?

There's also going to be 6 core versions of Vista according to MICROSOFT
SEATTLE.
The delay is make Vista more secure according to the report from Seattle.

"Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed
specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or Tablet
PCs."

Now ain't that interesting?

E. Scrooge