Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A thread to guarantee trouble :-)

A thread to guarantee trouble :-)

Shane

Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
restrictions come off (Antitrust)
If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to full
strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting with kids
gloves on
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news...reut/index.htm

Steve

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:38:18 +1200, Shane wrote:

> Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
> Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
> restrictions come off (Antitrust)
> If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
> chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
> successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
> Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to full
> strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting with kids
> gloves on
> http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news...reut/index.htm

1. Vista has been delayed an extra couple of months for us punters, but
not for the corporates - why? I don't think they can work out what all
these different versions are supposed to do. Will the emerging market
version run on the $150 pc, I wonder. Oh, I forgot, that should cost $600
so it can run it.
2. Until the DoJ actually enforce anything, why should M$ give a flying
wotsit what they do?
3. Linux desktop doesn't ( and I hope never will to a certain extent )
hand hold the user like Windows. Once you've got linux auto-opening files,
then the potential for infection will increase manyfold. This makes
'putting the product to the fore' a bit like comparing oranges and apples
(hur hur).

So is it really a missed opportunity? We need more fuel like whichever
antivirus company it was screwing up and deleting valid files - then more
users will (ok may) realise the dangerous situation they're in and do
something about it.

Well, that's my $0.02,

Steve

Shane

Steve wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:38:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
>> Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
>> Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
>> restrictions come off (Antitrust)
>> If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
>> chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
>> successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
>> Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to
>> full strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting
>> with kids gloves on
>> http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news...reut/index.htm

> 1. Vista has been delayed an extra couple of months for us punters, but
> not for the corporates - why? I don't think they can work out what all
> these different versions are supposed to do. Will the emerging market
> version run on the $150 pc, I wonder. Oh, I forgot, that should cost $600
> so it can run it.
> 2. Until the DoJ actually enforce anything, why should M$ give a flying
> wotsit what they do?
> 3. Linux desktop doesn't ( and I hope never will to a certain extent )
> hand hold the user like Windows. Once you've got linux auto-opening files,
> then the potential for infection will increase manyfold. This makes
> 'putting the product to the fore' a bit like comparing oranges and apples
> (hur hur).
>
> So is it really a missed opportunity? We need more fuel like whichever
> antivirus company it was screwing up and deleting valid files - then more
> users will (ok may) realise the dangerous situation they're in and do
> something about it.
>
> Well, that's my $0.02,
>
> Steve

Actually another thought has been in the back of my head, how much (if any)
of a difference is the EU 'problem' causing Microsoft, 2 million euros a
day (if it ever gets paid) is a lot of money

Nathan Mercer

Steve wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:38:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
> > Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
> > Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
> > restrictions come off (Antitrust)
> > If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
> > chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
> > successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
> > Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to full
> > strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting with kids
> > gloves on
> > http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news...reut/index.htm

> 1. Vista has been delayed an extra couple of months for us punters, but
> not for the corporates - why? I don't think they can work out what all
> these different versions are supposed to do. Will the emerging market
> version run on the $150 pc, I wonder. Oh, I forgot, that should cost $600
> so it can run it.

Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.

These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
Windows Vista to customers.

Cheers
Nathan

i have no trouble to send , ihave trouble reciving mail --any ideas John Penney Computer Support 4 08-29-2006 08:45 PM
Trouble getting thread to start from global.asax Nathan ASP .Net 0 04-13-2005 02:20 AM
Trouble creating a thread Zenon C++ 2 05-21-2004 03:29 PM
Trouble using Thread.sleep()...... Lee Garrington Java 3 10-01-2003 09:14 PM