Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Phone books - Use 'em?

Phone books - Use 'em?

Gavin Tunney

Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?

I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

Cheers

Gavin

Alan

"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>
> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
> but
> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
>

> Cheers
>
> Gavin

So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
trees next year and forever after.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Armpit

> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

I use the yellow pages - to rest my monitor on.

Gavin Tunney

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:04:37 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
>> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
>> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>>
>> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
>> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
>> but
>> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Gavin

>So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
>trees next year and forever after.

What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

GT

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, Gavin Tunney wrote:

> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?

Phone Book - definitely.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "Our entire company does most of its work on Linux."

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, someone purporting to be Gavin Tunney
didst scrawl:

> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>
> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

I prefer whitepages.co.nz, but it has its limitations. For starters it
returns only 10 pages of listings, which is ****ing useless if the person
you're looking for isn't in that 10 pages.
Also, it's not very good at the name discrimination thing. For example, do
a search for "Rogers" in Auckland, and you get pages and pages of people
and companies whose names are not Rogers but are some variation of Roger
- one of the first entries is for a "Roger Abel", for example. Couple that
with the 10 page limit and you're really screwed if you're trying to find
someone using only a very small amount of detail.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
>really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
>to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>
>I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
>last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
>not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

Book. It's quicker.
Very occasionally website ... for out of town numbers ... and sometimes it
even works

Bruce

(if there were any)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:04:37 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
>>> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
>>> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>>>
>>> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
>>> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
>>> but
>>> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?

>>So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
>>trees next year and forever after.

>What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
>to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
>Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

Note. Telecom directories and telecom are different companies

Bruce

(if there were any)

brazen

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:48:33 +1200, someone purporting to be Gavin Tunney
> didst scrawl:
>
>> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
>> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
>> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>>
>> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
>> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful but
>> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
>>

> I prefer whitepages.co.nz, but it has its limitations. For starters it
> returns only 10 pages of listings, which is ****ing useless if the person
> you're looking for isn't in that 10 pages.
> Also, it's not very good at the name discrimination thing. For example, do
> a search for "Rogers" in Auckland, and you get pages and pages of people
> and companies whose names are not Rogers but are some variation of Roger
> - one of the first entries is for a "Roger Abel", for example. Couple that
> with the 10 page limit and you're really screwed if you're trying to find
> someone using only a very small amount of detail.

Mmm agreed. The yellowpages.co.nz search facility is even worse.

I sometimes use whitepages.co.nz and never use yellowpages.co.nz - google is
usually better.

Gay

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:19:13 +1200, Gavin Tunney <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:04:37 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hi Guys. Just had the new phone books delivered, bit of a nuisance
>>> really I just biffed out all the old ones & now there's more. Got me
>>> to wondering... how many people use the phone book these days?
>>>
>>> I find whitepages.co.nz so much better to use I can't recall when I
>>> last picked up the phone book, yellow pages is occasionally useful
>>> but
>>> not the white. What does everyone here use, phone book or internet?
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Gavin

>>So give Telecom a call and ask not to receive a copy and save some
>>trees next year and forever after.

>What I had in mind was perhaps it's time Telecom gave us a choice not
>to receive phone books... and get a bit knocked off the phone bill.
>Those books don't come cheap, and we're the ones paying for them.

Both White & Yellow Pages are funded by selling advertising in the
Yellow Pages. That's how come Telstra Clear customers still get to
receive copies.

As to your original question, I still use the book for local numbers,
there's also a copy in the car for occasional use.
--
Regards
Malcolm