Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SMS request

SMS request

Nicholas Sherlock

SMS-COP wrote:
> What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send the
> illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
>
> Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning message
> is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a message
> free during the weekend this would also be welcome.

Recompense for 20c? Heh, I'll send the message for you for nothing.
Email me with the details (Address is real), or reply here.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

SMS-COP

Recently someone stole a cellphone and intriguingly appear to have recharged
the phone and are still using the original SIM card.

Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
(they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so the
thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the signup
process sends it to the phone.)

The phone has not yet been blacklisted nor has the number been barred at
this point to help gather some information regarding transmitter location
and call usage that may assist with identifying the thief and their
location/movements.

What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send the
illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.

Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning message
is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a message
free during the weekend this would also be welcome.

Anyone willing to help out?

Cellphone number and customised warning message available on request.

krazy Bob

"SMS-COP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vNNTf.7566$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently someone stole a cellphone and intriguingly appear to have
> recharged
> the phone and are still using the original SIM card.
>
> Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
> message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
> (they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so
> the
> thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the
> signup
> process sends it to the phone.)
>
> The phone has not yet been blacklisted nor has the number been barred at
> this point to help gather some information regarding transmitter location
> and call usage that may assist with identifying the thief and their
> location/movements.
>
> What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send
> the
> illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
>
> Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning
> message
> is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a
> message
> free during the weekend this would also be welcome.
>
> Anyone willing to help out?
>
> Cellphone number and customised warning message available on request.

Yea man, ill do it for free, But Doubt they will reply or anything.

Post back here and ill see what i can do for you

KB

SMS-COP

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dvo9jl$ikt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SMS-COP wrote:
> > What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send

the
> > illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
> >
> > Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning

message
> > is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a

message
> > free during the weekend this would also be welcome.

> Recompense for 20c? Heh, I'll send the message for you for nothing.
> Email me with the details (Address is real), or reply here.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock
>
> --
> http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

Thanks for your offer of assistance with this matter.

After a search for suitable web-based alternatives to the Vodafone web2txt
service, it became apparent that it is difficult to send a text message
without actually having a phone.

SMS-COP

"krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u3OTf.7570$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yea man, ill do it for free, But Doubt they will reply or anything.
>
> Post back here and ill see what i can do for you
>
> KB

Thanks for your offer krazy Bob. Nicholas beat you to it sorry - he's
pretty quick off the mark

Although the prospect of a DOS text campaign during a Vodafone weekend has
some intriguing possibilities, just a single warning message in this
instance will determine whether we're dealing with someone with a conscience
or not.

I will keep people posted if there are any developments.

Thanks to all.

alastair.geek.nz

SMS-COP wrote:

> "krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u3OTf.7570$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Post back here and ill see what i can do for you

> Although the prospect of a DOS text campaign during a Vodafone weekend has
> some intriguing possibilities, just a single warning message in this
> instance will determine whether we're dealing with someone with a conscience
> or not.
>
> I will keep people posted if there are any developments.

If the thief is using your SIM card and you haven't disabled your
Vodafone account, wouldn't that mean that you run the risk of being hit
with a huge bill for calls made by the thief?

SMS-COP

"alastair.geek.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> If the thief is using your SIM card and you haven't disabled your
> Vodafone account, wouldn't that mean that you run the risk of being hit
> with a huge bill for calls made by the thief?

Not on Prepay with a couple of dollars to play with. Most likely a youth
with eyes on free text weekends based upon the circumstances.

The handset blacklist and SIM bar will come if it's not recovered soon, but
if they ignore the warning it's just a matter of giving them some rope...

~misfit~

SMS-COP wrote:
> "krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u3OTf.7570$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>> Yea man, ill do it for free, But Doubt they will reply or anything.
>>
>> Post back here and ill see what i can do for you
>>
>> KB

> Thanks for your offer krazy Bob. Nicholas beat you to it sorry - he's
> pretty quick off the mark
>
> Although the prospect of a DOS text campaign during a Vodafone
> weekend has some intriguing possibilities,

Heh! I hate theives, count me in on the free txt weekend DOS attack if you
want to do it. misfitnz at gmail dot com.

> just a single warning
> message in this instance will determine whether we're dealing with
> someone with a conscience or not.

Sadly they're increasingly rare.

> I will keep people posted if there are any developments.

That would be good.
--
~Shaun~

Waylon Kenning

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:28:49 +1200, SMS-COP wrote:

> Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
> message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
> (they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so the
> thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the signup
> process sends it to the phone.)

If you wish to blacklist the phone, report the phone stolen to the Police,
get a complaint form, bring that, the box and the receipt for the phone
into a Vodafone store, and they should get you to fill in a blacklist
form. Once that and everything else is faxed to Vodafone's Fraud
Department, that'll stop the phone being used on the Vodafone NZ network.

--
Regards,

Waylon Kenning.

Richard

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> If you wish to blacklist the phone, report the phone stolen to the Police,
> get a complaint form, bring that, the box and the receipt for the phone
> into a Vodafone store, and they should get you to fill in a blacklist
> form. Once that and everything else is faxed to Vodafone's Fraud
> Department, that'll stop the phone being used on the Vodafone NZ network.

They make it so hard, because as long as the phone is on there network its
creating revenue for them so in there interests not to block it.