Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Turion not Vista ready?

Turion not Vista ready?

-=rjh=-

Had a comment from a salesperson today, to the effect that Intel Core
Duo processors are "Vista Ready" but that the current Turions are not.

What on earth do they mean - I thought the Turions were even 64 bit and
well up with the play, whereas the Core Duos are not 64 bit capable yet.

You can probably guess which they are trying to sell

Zonky

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:441f9353$(E-Mail Removed):

> Had a comment from a salesperson today, to the effect that Intel Core
> Duo processors are "Vista Ready" but that the current Turions are not.
>
> What on earth do they mean - I thought the Turions were even 64 bit and
> well up with the play, whereas the Core Duos are not 64 bit capable yet.
>
> You can probably guess which they are trying to sell

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=turion%20vista

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

Crash

Zonky wrote:
> -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:441f9353$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Had a comment from a salesperson today, to the effect that Intel Core
>>Duo processors are "Vista Ready" but that the current Turions are not.
>>
>>What on earth do they mean - I thought the Turions were even 64 bit and
>>well up with the play, whereas the Core Duos are not 64 bit capable yet.
>>
>>You can probably guess which they are trying to sell
>>

> http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=turion%20vista

Which returned this:

Results 1 - 10 of about 516,000 for turion vista. (0.17 seconds)

Which of the 516,000 hits did you have in mind.....

Crash.

Zonky

Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4VNTf.7569$JZ1.269424
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Which returned this:
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 516,000 for turion vista. (0.17 seconds)
>
> Which of the 516,000 hits did you have in mind.....
>
> Crash.

The question is answered in at least 7 of the first 10.

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

Dave Doe

In article <Xns978DD916FFB83zonkydialupwebnet@203.109.252.31> ,
zonky@my_pants.dialup-web.net says...
> Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4VNTf.7569$JZ1.269424
> @news.xtra.co.nz:
>

> > Which returned this:
> >
> > Results 1 - 10 of about 516,000 for turion vista. (0.17 seconds)
> >
> > Which of the 516,000 hits did you have in mind.....
> >
> > Crash.

> The question is answered in at least 7 of the first 10.

I'm sure the OP would like something more definative - just post a URL
FFS.

--
Duncan

-=rjh=-

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <Xns978DD916FFB83zonkydialupwebnet@203.109.252.31> ,
> zonky@my_pants.dialup-web.net says...
>> Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4VNTf.7569$JZ1.269424
>> @news.xtra.co.nz:
>>
>>> Which returned this:
>>>
>>> Results 1 - 10 of about 516,000 for turion vista. (0.17 seconds)
>>>
>>> Which of the 516,000 hits did you have in mind.....
>>>
>>> Crash.

>> The question is answered in at least 7 of the first 10.

> I'm sure the OP would like something more definative - just post a URL
> FFS.

I'm well aware that Turion *is* "Vista ready", just really wanted some
ideas why a salesperson would try to say it isn't; is there some sort of
rumour going around about Turion, for instance - where does this
misinformation come from.

Matthew Poole

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:45:18 +1200, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
scrawl:

> Had a comment from a salesperson today, to the effect that Intel Core
> Duo processors are "Vista Ready" but that the current Turions are not.
>
> What on earth do they mean - I thought the Turions were even 64 bit and
> well up with the play, whereas the Core Duos are not 64 bit capable yet.
>
> You can probably guess which they are trying to sell

I think it's more likely that Vista isn't Turion-ready.
The stuff that is returned from the Google search that was posted talks
about the system freezing when attempting to install Vista onto a Turion.
Since the CPU ought to be irrelevant, and AMD know enough about CPU design
to be able to avoid making any silly mistakes that might make it
incompatible with the IA32 or amd64 instruction sets, I'd say that Vista
is trying to do something funky that the Turion doesn't like.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."