Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sorting favourites in IE on XP

Sorting favourites in IE on XP

A Friend

How do I make the favourites list in my IE sort into alphabetical
order?

The "help" doesn't help.

I'm running an XP home edition four months old.

Mackin_NZ

A Friend wrote:

> How do I make the favourites list in my IE sort into alphabetical
> order?
>
> The "help" doesn't help.
>
> I'm running an XP home edition four months old.

Are you saying "right-click" - "sort by name" doesn't work?

~misfit~

Mackin_NZ wrote:
> A Friend wrote:
>
>> How do I make the favourites list in my IE sort into alphabetical
>> order?
>>
>> The "help" doesn't help.
>>
>> I'm running an XP home edition four months old.

> Are you saying "right-click" - "sort by name" doesn't work?

Heh, sarcasm at the expense of someone looking for help won't get you many
thanks.

As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you give
Firefox a try. It's not hard to get used to at all and is infinitely safer
to use on-line than IE, and light-years ahead feature-wise.

Cheers,
--
~Shaun~

A Friend

~misfit~ wrote:

> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
> the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.

I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

Thank you for that.

~misfit~

A Friend wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then
>> anywhere on the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort
>> by name'.

> I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC magazine. I
didn't know that it wasn't in the help.

> Thank you for that.

No problem.
--
~Shaun~

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>A Friend wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then
>>> anywhere on the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort
>>> by name'.

>> I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

>It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC magazine. I
>didn't know that it wasn't in the help.
>
>> Thank you for that.

>No problem.

My thanks likewise. I have always wondered why you had to drag the things
into alphbetical order manually (doh !) and why it didn't simply sort them
like files. <sigh>

Bruce

(if there were any)

~misfit~

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A Friend wrote:

>>> I never knew that. I wonder why it's not in the Help menu?

>> It's been the same for years, I originally read about it in a PC
>> magazine. I didn't know that it wasn't in the help.
>>
>>> Thank you for that.

>> No problem.

> My thanks likewise. I have always wondered why you had to drag the
> things
> into alphbetical order manually (doh !) and why it didn't simply sort
> them
> like files. <sigh>

Pleased to be of help Bruce.
--
~Shaun~

Dave Taylor

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in
news:T5ITf.7474$(E-Mail Removed):

> why it didn't simply sort them
> like files. <sigh>

ah, but they are files and folders
They just are a little trickier due to windows putting special attributes
on them so they behave differently in explorer.exe ( or is it in the
registry) I forget anyways they are handled differently. google will have
some info for you.

--
Ciao, Dave

A Friend

~misfit~ wrote:

> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then anywhere on
> the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort by name'.

YIPPEE!!!

I just did that (back home now) and it did what I wanted.

Thanks again.

> However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you give
> Firefox a try.

Yes I have it on a disk that came with PC World. I'll get round to
it...

~misfit~

A Friend wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>

>> As Mackin so rightly pointed out, click 'favourites' and then
>> anywhere on the list that drops down, right-click and select 'sort
>> by name'.

> YIPPEE!!!
>
> I just did that (back home now) and it did what I wanted.
>
> Thanks again.

Cool, np problem.

>> However, I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you
>> give Firefox a try.

> Yes I have it on a disk that came with PC World. I'll get round to
> it...

I don't think you'll ever go back to IE if you try Firefox. I'm a bit
apathetic when it comes to changing software, I tend to stick with what's
familiar. However, I liked Firefox instantly and, after a couple days
wouldn't go back if you paid me. (And I'm broke! <g>). I really like the
middle-click and open link in new tab, excellent stuff.
--
~Shaun~