Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Azereus, Traffic shaping (avoid traffic shaping in with azereus)

Azereus, Traffic shaping (avoid traffic shaping in with azereus)

Nova

I just noticed this in Azereus, which could be helpful if you are on an
ISP that does traffic shaping..

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/inde...raffic_shaping

That page explains the settings, but basically it sets up encryption
between for your torrent connections so layer7 shapers won't be able to
determine that you are using bittorrent.....

Although I am on an ISP that does shaping, I've never really seen my
torrent speeds go drastically slow.. but anyway maybe it will be useful
for someone out there....

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that tries it and sees a difference...

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:33:12 +1200, Nova wrote:

> Although I am on an ISP that does shaping, I've never really seen my
> torrent speeds go drastically slow.. but anyway maybe it will be useful
> for someone out there....
>
> I'd be interested to hear from anyone that tries it and sees a difference...

I have tried it.

I haven't notice any significant change.

But then, not all BT clients are able to use encryption, and I have my
client set to enable non-encrypted connections if encryption fails - and
that would probably be sufficient for an ISP that is doing traffic shaping
to spot what's happening.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
One Unix to rule them all,
One Resolver to find them,

~misfit~

Nova wrote:
> I just noticed this in Azereus, which could be helpful if you are on
> an ISP that does traffic shaping..
>
> http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/inde...raffic_shaping
>
> That page explains the settings, but basically it sets up encryption
> between for your torrent connections so layer7 shapers won't be able
> to determine that you are using bittorrent.....
>
> Although I am on an ISP that does shaping, I've never really seen my
> torrent speeds go drastically slow.. but anyway maybe it will be
> useful for someone out there....
>
> I'd be interested to hear from anyone that tries it and sees a
> difference...

That would have been interesting to try when I was with Orcon. However my
current ISP doesn't shape at all. (I ask everytime I talk to the helpdesk
just in case they change it without notifying us, like they did with the
midnight re-set). However, I believe encryption's a new feature? Only
introduced with Azureus 2.4.x.x

Interestingly, a torrent I downloaded today has, in the comments section:
"For best results use a client that supports traffic encryption" and the
originator of the torrent had Azureus 2.4.0.3_B1 listed as a client. Strange
as my Azureus updated itself yesterday (I have it set to check every time I
start it) and it's 2.4.0.2. Looks like the torrent originator was using a
beta version.

Looking at that page I wouldn't know what settings to use, or whether to
bother. As I said, my ISP doesn't shape. I'd be interested to hear others
thoughts.
--
~Shaun~