Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Win2003 Server Std - No floppy Install problem

Win2003 Server Std - No floppy Install problem

poweruserNOT

Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased W2003
Server standard edition.

Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored drives. Put
CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could load the Adaptec raid
drivers on the HP CD.

Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I extracted the
drivers and put them on the root of another CD and retried. Same result,
server would not look anywhere else.

Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.

Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I should have
purchased the optional floppy.
Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew nothing about
the problem.

Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly to a 2003
CD but it looked like a lot of work.

Anybody heard of anything easier?

TIA

Dave Doe

In article <nRpTf.7267$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased W2003
> Server standard edition.
>
> Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored drives. Put
> CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could load the Adaptec raid
> drivers on the HP CD.
>
> Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I extracted the
> drivers and put them on the root of another CD and retried. Same result,
> server would not look anywhere else.
>
> Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.
>
> Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I should have
> purchased the optional floppy.
> Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew nothing about
> the problem.
>
> Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly to a 2003
> CD but it looked like a lot of work.
>
> Anybody heard of anything easier?

Your easiest solution is to install the $20 FDD.

PS: have had exactly the same prob w' the Adaptec driver - the CD
includes an easy step to create the driver disk (yep, the PC *has* got a
FDD).

--
Duncan

MarkH

"poweruserNOT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:nRpTf.7267$(E-Mail Removed):

> Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased
> W2003 Server standard edition.
>
> Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored drives.
> Put CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could load the
> Adaptec raid drivers on the HP CD.
>
> Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I
> extracted the drivers and put them on the root of another CD and
> retried. Same result, server would not look anywhere else.
>
> Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.
>
> Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I should
> have purchased the optional floppy.
> Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew nothing
> about the problem.
>
> Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly to a
> 2003 CD but it looked like a lot of work.
>
> Anybody heard of anything easier?

Take standard FDD from any PC.
Connect the FDD to the server.
Install Win2003 Server.
Return FDD to the PC it came from.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Alan

"poweruserNOT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nRpTf.7267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased
> W2003 Server standard edition.
>
> Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored
> drives. Put CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could
> load the Adaptec raid drivers on the HP CD.
>
> Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I
> extracted the drivers and put them on the root of another CD and
> retried. Same result, server would not look anywhere else.
>
> Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.
>
> Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I should
> have purchased the optional floppy.
> Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew
> nothing about the problem.
>
> Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly to
> a 2003 CD but it looked like a lot of work.
>
> Anybody heard of anything easier?
>
> TIA

Put in the FDD.

Why not when it will only cost $10?

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Enkidu

poweruserNOT wrote:
> Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased W2003
> Server standard edition.
>
> Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored drives. Put
> CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could load the Adaptec raid
> drivers on the HP CD.
>
> Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I extracted the
> drivers and put them on the root of another CD and retried. Same result,
> server would not look anywhere else.
>
> Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.
>
> Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I should have
> purchased the optional floppy.
> Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew nothing about
> the problem.
>
> Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly to a 2003
> CD but it looked like a lot of work.
>
> Anybody heard of anything easier?

Did you try NOT loading the drivers? The standard Windows 2003 contains
basic HP RAID drivers. Alternatively, did you get a SmartStart CD? If so
boot that and it should load some HP stuff and then boot the OS CD.
That'll probably get you past the RAID stuff.

Cheers,

Cliff

stealth.division@gmail.com

I don't think SmartStart supports ML100 & DL100 series servers.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...portMatrix.pdf

Other things like the Rapid Deployment Pack, most SCSI based Smart
Array controllers, Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition Controllers and so
on don't support 100 series Proliants.

The Proliant Support Pack isn't even supported on these servers

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23837.html

Unlike 300, 500 & 700 series, they shouldn't really be called
Proliants, they are really just a modern version of the HP Tasksmart
servers.

poweruserNOT

Got the install going by getting the "optional" HP floppy.

I am not impressed by the new floppyless server.

Thanks for your comments.

Me

"poweruserNOT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nRpTf.7267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased W2003
> Server standard edition.
>
> Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored drives. Put
> CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could load the Adaptec
> raid drivers on the HP CD.
>
> Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I extracted
> the drivers and put them on the root of another CD and retried. Same
> result, server would not look anywhere else.
>
> Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.
>
> Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I should have
> purchased the optional floppy.
> Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew nothing
> about the problem.
>
> Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly to a
> 2003 CD but it looked like a lot of work.
>
> Anybody heard of anything easier?
>
> TIA

Alan

"poweruserNOT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vO_Tf.7714$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got the install going by getting the "optional" HP floppy.
>
> I am not impressed by the new floppyless server.
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Me
>
> "poweruserNOT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nRpTf.7267$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have purchased a HP ML110 G3 server with no floppy. Also purchased
>> W2003 Server standard edition.
>>
>> Booted server and set up embedded raid controller for Mirrored
>> drives. Put CD in and rebooted and when asked pushed F6 so I could
>> load the Adaptec raid drivers on the HP CD.
>>
>> Server 2003 seemed to look for a floppy and ignored the CD. I
>> extracted the drivers and put them on the root of another CD and
>> retried. Same result, server would not look anywhere else.
>>
>> Purchased a generic USB floppy and used that. No go.
>>
>> Have telephoned HP and been told it is a hardware issue and I
>> should have purchased the optional floppy.
>> Rang Microsoft to see if there was a workaround and they knew
>> nothing about the problem.
>>
>> Googled and read lots about people slipstreaming drivers directly
>> to a 2003 CD but it looked like a lot of work.
>>
>> Anybody heard of anything easier?
>>
>> TIA

How much did it cost out of interest?

Did you pay more than if you had asked for it when ordering in the
first place?

I wonder how much the makers profit from after sales provision of
FDDs!

Alan.