Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can't get my usb hard disk to behave anymore

Can't get my usb hard disk to behave anymore

nickdevx@hotmail.com

I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?

Cheers.

Southern Kiwi

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
> connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
> would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
> secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
> all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
> Cheers.

Try it without the hub

Dave Taylor

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Try it without the hub

Maybe it is the drive inside the caddy?
There are 2.5" to IDE adapters so you can see if it is the drive itself
that is dead, isolating the caddy as the possible cause.

--
Ciao, Dave

Phillip

Has it worked via the HUB before? If not then there's your answer.

If the drive is powered via the HUB then it's possible either the HUB
doesn't provide enough power, other devices on the HUB if any may be
draining most of the power or if your've added hadrware to your computer
since it last worked not enought power is being sent to to HUB.

You might have guessed by now I suspect it is a sustained power issue.

A friend of mine recently bought a 2.5" USB drive package & was very
disappointed with it compared to his earlier one. If it's recently new or
was cheap it might be faulty.

As suggested in another post try connecting it directly to a USB port on
your computer rather than the HUB as the port should supply better power &
will identify if the HUB is the issue.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
> connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
> would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
> secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
> all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
>
> Cheers.

Nova

> I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
> connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
> would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
> secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
> all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
>
> Cheers.

I've had this problem too, not with a hub, but the drive starting up
then dying then starting up again etc etc. It was a power issue. My
external drive came with a USB cable that allowed me to plug it into 2
usb ports, once I did that it was fine. I have found it runs ok on 1
usb port on most desktops but on front usb ports it needs the power of 2
usb ports and also on my laptop it can't get enough power.

nickdevx@hotmail.com

Nova wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
> > connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
> > would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
> > secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
> > all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> I've had this problem too, not with a hub, but the drive starting up
> then dying then starting up again etc etc. It was a power issue. My
> external drive came with a USB cable that allowed me to plug it into 2
> usb ports, once I did that it was fine. I have found it runs ok on 1
> usb port on most desktops but on front usb ports it needs the power of 2
> usb ports and also on my laptop it can't get enough power.

I also use 2 ports for the drive and the hub is externally powered, so
a likely explanation would be that the hub's power supply is unstable.
I managed to get the drive to run again for the last few days (not sure
exactly how) but occasionally it still loses connection. I suppose I'll
need to source a better hub.