Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Amanda Open Source project has zero outstanding bugs

Reply
Thread Tools

Amanda Open Source project has zero outstanding bugs

 
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...08-26-OS-CY-DV

Whaddyaknow! See - it *can* be done! )


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Free Open Source software - it's not just about better code, as important as
that is. It's about better values, higher ethics.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thirsty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...08-26-OS-CY-DV
>
> Whaddyaknow! See - it *can* be done! )
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> Free Open Source software - it's not just about better code, as important
> as
> that is. It's about better values, higher ethics.
>


"Open source developers have immense pride in the quality of the work"

However it looks like they don't do a thing about fixing bugs until a third
party points them out, so much for that "many eyes" bullshit. Given that
it's extremely unlikely that Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Sun, Symantec, CA etc
provided Coverity with any closed source code to scan do you think that this
"analysis" might be little more than an academic PR exercise ?

By the way, is this Amanda project which has 11 outstanding bugs, 6 of which
are over 30 days old, the same as the one quoted in the article as being
bug-free ? http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...20&atid=100120 . Oh
dear...

You go Linux Fan Boy Numero Uno


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...08-26-OS-CY-DV
>
>
> Whaddyaknow! See - it *can* be done! )
>

What they *actually* say is "As it currently stands, there are 0
outstanding bugs detected by the Coverity scan and Amanda is the most
defect free open source project currently being evaluated by Coverity."

Note that they don't say that there are zero bugs. They say that there
are no bugs detected by the Coverity scan. That's a lot different.

Cheers,

Cliff
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:11:56 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> Note that they don't say that there are zero bugs. They say that there
> are no bugs detected by the Coverity scan. That's a lot different.


Is it? Your assumption is that there are bugs in it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:45:11 +1200, Thirsty wrote:

> "Open source developers have immense pride in the quality of the work"
>
> However it looks like they don't do a thing about fixing bugs until a third
> party points them out, so much for that "many eyes" bullshit.


That is the whole point. How do you fix something you do not know is
there, you need one of those many eyes to see the bug hiding in the
source code.

Note, we need the code, and we need many people to look at it.

With the code bugs are found, otherwise it just holes to be exploited.

 
Reply With Quote
 
SchoolTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...08-26-OS-CY-DV
>
> Whaddyaknow! See - it *can* be done! )
>


Err, just a slight problem with their claims for Open Source.

Nasa developing their closed source software has had for many years one
of the lowest bug rates for any commercial code anywhere
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Gordon wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:11:56 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>
>
>>Note that they don't say that there are zero bugs. They say that there
>>are no bugs detected by the Coverity scan. That's a lot different.

>
>
> Is it? Your assumption is that there are bugs in it.
>

I'm 100% certain that there are currently unknown bugs in it.

Cheers,

Cliff
 
Reply With Quote
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2006
Which NASA commercial code is that?

ShuttleOS 2003 Enterprise Edition?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2006
"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...08-26-OS-CY-DV
>
> Whaddyaknow! See - it *can* be done! )
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>


Ha!!!!!!!

You've obviously never coded a darned thing. You just read propaganda.

What a naive joke.

Bugs always exist in software. Bugs are not known. Bugs are by definition
unknown. Bugs are introduced outside the control of the software - e.g
operating system changes, interoperability problems with other software.
Bugs are introduced by changes in standards. It might be acceptable to do
something one way now, but what is acceptable changes and it becomes a bug.

Bugs are not black and white. They are gray.

I'm still laughing at you.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2006
Hi there,

Enkidu wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:11:56 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Note that they don't say that there are zero bugs. They say that
>>> there are no bugs detected by the Coverity scan. That's a lot different.

>>
>> Is it? Your assumption is that there are bugs in it.
>>

> I'm 100% certain that there are currently unknown bugs in it.


I personally prefer to say "currently it is unknown if there are
bugs in it"...

Certainty is only what is known for real...if we don't know for
real then it is uncertain...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
please resubmit (old) outstanding core bugs to redmine Roger Pack Ruby 0 11-10-2008 07:12 AM
Microsoft Skips Patch Release, Leaves 9 Outstanding Bugs Au79 Computer Support 0 03-09-2007 07:31 AM
HOW CAN YOU THINK AMANDA TAPPING IS FAT?? (MORE PICS) Cylon 69 Digital Photography 33 08-03-2006 05:01 PM
Bugs and Bugs...get rid of them Jason Computer Security 1 01-31-2006 10:47 PM
Still use 'ruby-bugs' for Ruby bugs? Josef 'Jupp' Schugt Ruby 2 11-04-2004 10:10 PM



Advertisments