Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom nets lead on rivals

Reply
Thread Tools

Telecom nets lead on rivals

 
 
Nova
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation, rolling
out adsl2

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:52:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Nova didst
scrawl:

> Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation, rolling
> out adsl2
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html


I'd love to know who the analyst was who suggested that we're number 22
for broadband because we're number 18 for GDP per capita. Korea is below
us for GDP, but they're the number one for broadband. Ireland is number
four for GDP, but was 24 for broadband in the last published report.
Finland is 15 for GDP (NZ is 21 in the most recent report I found on the
OECD site), but seven for broadband.

That suggests that there may be some relationship between the two
standings but it's not an absolute by any means. To claim otherwise is to
be an apologist for the abysmal performance of "the market".

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:51:41 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:52:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Nova didst
> scrawl:
>
>> Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation, rolling
>> out adsl2
>>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html

>
> I'd love to know who the analyst was who suggested that we're number 22
> for broadband because we're number 18 for GDP per capita. Korea is below
> us for GDP, but they're the number one for broadband. Ireland is number
> four for GDP, but was 24 for broadband in the last published report.
> Finland is 15 for GDP (NZ is 21 in the most recent report I found on the
> OECD site), but seven for broadband.
>
> That suggests that there may be some relationship between the two
> standings but it's not an absolute by any means. To claim otherwise is to
> be an apologist for the abysmal performance of "the market".


Interesting quote:

"The new ADSL2 services will lift broadband download speeds from about 2
megabits a second to as much as 24mb/s. Upload speeds will increase from
about 256 kilobits a second to around 1mb/s, four times as fast."

While download speed will increase by 12 times, upload speeds will only
increase by 7.8 times (asuming that the 1mb/s rate is correct) - and
upload speeds are already disproportionately slow.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Philip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:52:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Nova didst
> scrawl:
>
>> Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation, rolling
>> out adsl2
>>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html

>
> I'd love to know who the analyst was who suggested that we're number 22
> for broadband because we're number 18 for GDP per capita. Korea is below
> us for GDP, but they're the number one for broadband. Ireland is number
> four for GDP, but was 24 for broadband in the last published report.
> Finland is 15 for GDP (NZ is 21 in the most recent report I found on the
> OECD site), but seven for broadband.
>
> That suggests that there may be some relationship between the two
> standings but it's not an absolute by any means. To claim otherwise is to
> be an apologist for the abysmal performance of "the market".
>

The cited article reeks of Telecom (and Business New Zealand) spin. What
does seem to be happening is that Telecom are saying - look, we can sell
you a Ferrari in Auckland, so all you people that just wanted a Toyota
shut up and stop complaining.

Roll on regulation and compulsory splitting of the company.


Philip

 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Nova wrote:
>
> Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation, rolling
> out adsl2
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html
>

ADSL2 is great. Provided you are less than about a kilometre from the
exchange. If you are further than that away from the exchange you will
have to rely on ordinary ADSL.

Cheers,

Cliff
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:52:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Nova didst
> > scrawl:
> >
> >> Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation, rolling
> >> out adsl2
> >>
> >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html

> >

> Interesting quote:
>
> "The new ADSL2 services will lift broadband download speeds from about 2
> megabits a second to as much as 24mb/s. Upload speeds will increase from
> about 256 kilobits a second to around 1mb/s, four times as fast."


If they are claiming 24 Mbps downstream, it is actually ADSL2+. (ADSL2
is only 12 Mbps downstream: ADSL2+ doubles the frequency band to 2.2 MHz
which allows the downstream bandwidth to be doubled.)

The upload speed claim is misleading. ADSL2 and ADSL2+ have exactly the
same maximum upload speed as the original ADSL standard: all can support
up to 1 Mbps in the right conditions, though ADSL2/2+ will usually get
somewhat better performance than ADSL1 on the same connection. The
achievable speed drops off rapidly as you get further from the exchange.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsl for a general overview.

(The Wikipedia ADSL2 entry has a link to a white paper which explains
ADSL2 and ADSL2+ in more detail.)

It sounds suspiciously like Telecom are priming the public to charge
more for a premium fast ADSL2+ service which doesn't have speed caps,
while constraining all ADSL1 customers to the speed limits due to be
introduced in April (either 128 or 512 kbps upstream, 2 or 3.5 Mbps
downstream).

Note also that in order to use ADSL2/2+, your modem must support it.
Older modems will have to be replaced, but many newer ones already
support ADSL2/2+ (or may get it with a firmware update).

This means it makes some sense for Telecom to introduce ADSL2
selectively, only for the customers who opt for it (and have the
necessary equipment). If the ADSL2 DSLAM can automatically drop back to
ADSL1 when necessary, then this excuse is removed.

--
David Empson
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:20:35 +1300, David Empson wrote:

> It sounds suspiciously like Telecom are priming the public to charge
> more for a premium fast ADSL2+ service which doesn't have speed caps,
> while constraining all ADSL1 customers to the speed limits due to be
> introduced in April (either 128 or 512 kbps upstream, 2 or 3.5 Mbps
> downstream).


Yup, agreed.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
freedom of choice."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:20:35 +1300, someone purporting to be David Empson
didst scrawl:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

*SNIP*
> It sounds suspiciously like Telecom are priming the public to charge
> more for a premium fast ADSL2+ service which doesn't have speed caps,

*SNIP*

You didn't need to expend the bits to say "charge more". It's an unwritten
rule that anything from Telecon that's better will be exponentially more
expensive that whatever it replaces.
I wouldn't expect any ADSL2+ plan to be under $100, and at that price
you'll probably get a 1GB data cap. Whether they go for overage (at
2c/MB), or just throttle you back to 64kbps is anyone's guess.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:51:56 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

> I wouldn't expect any ADSL2+ plan to be under $100, and at that price
> you'll probably get a 1GB data cap. Whether they go for overage (at
> 2c/MB), or just throttle you back to 64kbps is anyone's guess.


Don't ya love it!

A 24mbit/s link being throttled back to 64kb/s. Might as well just pull
the plug on it for all the use it would be as a "Broadband" link if they
throttle it.

Broadband should be full speed, uncapped, flat rate, and affordable by
everybody.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
One Unix to rule them all,
One Resolver to find them,
One IP to bring them all
And in the Zone to Bind them.

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Enkidu wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>>
>> Telecom will jump the gun on its rivals waiting for regulation,
>> rolling out adsl2
>>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3609198a13,00.html
>>

> ADSL2 is great. Provided you are less than about a kilometre from the
> exchange. If you are further than that away from the exchange you will
> have to rely on ordinary ADSL.


Ordinary ADSL would be fine with me if they gave me a 3.5M down, 1M up
connection at a reasonable price. Without having God-awful contention
ratios.
--
~Shaun~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Java Lead/ Lead Software Engineer -Immediate Requirement Ann Javascript 1 01-02-2008 04:34 AM
Java Lead/ Lead Software Engineer Ann Java 0 09-06-2007 09:55 AM
Sr.Developer / Team Lead / Proj Lead / Project Manager /Tech Lead for Datamatics Ltd., Mumbai supriyab17@gmail.com Java 0 11-22-2006 05:13 AM
Netflix Winning Battle Against Goliath Rivals Tarkus DVD Video 1 01-27-2005 05:00 AM
Linux: Fewer Bugs Than Rivals AeoN Computer Support 5 12-20-2004 04:12 PM



Advertisments