Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom nets lead on rivals

Telecom nets lead on rivals

Matthew Poole

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:52:34 +1200, someone purporting to be ~misfit~
didst scrawl:

> Enkidu wrote:

*SNIP*
> Ordinary ADSL would be fine with me if they gave me a 3.5M down, 1M up
> connection at a reasonable price. Without having God-awful contention
> ratios.

If you want 1Mb up you need something better than ADSL, as it has a
maximum upstream of 640kb.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

colinco

In article Matthew Poole says...
> If you want 1Mb up you need something better than ADSL, as it has a
> maximum upstream of 640kb.

Where do you get that idea? It's line length limited but I have seen
over 800 on full speed Jetstream.

MarkH

Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:52:34 +1200, someone purporting to be ~misfit~
> didst scrawl:
>
>> Enkidu wrote:

> *SNIP*
>> Ordinary ADSL would be fine with me if they gave me a 3.5M down, 1M up
>> connection at a reasonable price. Without having God-awful contention
>> ratios.

> If you want 1Mb up you need something better than ADSL, as it has a
> maximum upstream of 640kb.

It is my understanding that Telecom can set how much of the available
bandwidth can be used for upstream and downstream. So if there are enough
pipes with ADSL for 8Mb then they could use 2Mb for up and 6Mb for down,
currently they have chosen to use very little for upstream, probably based
on the current bandwidth usage.

With ADSL2 there is more bandwidth available and some overseas ISPs
configure it to 1Mb up and 24Mb down. Obviously they are expecting FTP
servers, hosting companies, web servers, etc to be using something other
than ADSL for their connection.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

colinco

In article MarkH says...
> It is my understanding that Telecom can set how much of the available
> bandwidth can be used for upstream and downstream. So if there are enough
> pipes with ADSL for 8Mb then they could use 2Mb for up and 6Mb for down,
> currently they have chosen to use very little for upstream, probably based
> on the current bandwidth usage.

No it is based on a standard. G.dmt allows for maximum 8Mbps down 1Mbps
up.

~misfit~

colinco wrote:
> In article Matthew Poole says...
>> If you want 1Mb up you need something better than ADSL, as it has a
>> maximum upstream of 640kb.
>>

> Where do you get that idea? It's line length limited but I have seen
> over 800 on full speed Jetstream.

That was my understanding too, 1M up was achievable if you're close enough
to the exchange and the line was of good enough quality. My S/N ratio is
really good, not sure how far I am from the exchange but Pukekohe urban area
isn't all *that* big and there are two DSLAMs here (whether they're
physically located in the same spot or not I don't know).

Anyway, at a pinch I'd take 3.5M down, 640kb up. Anything better than this
pathetic 128 I have now. It's so hard to keep a decent ratio on torrents.
Check out my usage on a 2M / 128kbps connection over the last few weeks:

ttp://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1142813285.jpg

Nearly half my data goes upwards, making a mockery of the 2M down speed.
--
~Shaun~

Matthew Poole

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:03:24 +1200, someone purporting to be colinco didst
scrawl:

> In article Matthew Poole says...
>> If you want 1Mb up you need something better than ADSL, as it has a
>> maximum upstream of 640kb.
>>

> Where do you get that idea? It's line length limited but I have seen
> over 800 on full speed Jetstream.

Everything I've ever seen regarding speeds has said it's a maximum of
640kbps upstream. Looks like it is, as you say, a function of ISP and
distance rather than a restriction of the standard.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Nova

~misfit~ wrote:
> colinco wrote:
>> In article Matthew Poole says...
>>> If you want 1Mb up you need something better than ADSL, as it has a
>>> maximum upstream of 640kb.
>>>

>> Where do you get that idea? It's line length limited but I have seen
>> over 800 on full speed Jetstream.

> That was my understanding too, 1M up was achievable if you're close enough
> to the exchange and the line was of good enough quality. My S/N ratio is
> really good, not sure how far I am from the exchange but Pukekohe urban area
> isn't all *that* big and there are two DSLAMs here (whether they're
> physically located in the same spot or not I don't know).
>
> Anyway, at a pinch I'd take 3.5M down, 640kb up. Anything better than this
> pathetic 128 I have now. It's so hard to keep a decent ratio on torrents.
> Check out my usage on a 2M / 128kbps connection over the last few weeks:
>
> ttp://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1142813285.jpg
>
> Nearly half my data goes upwards, making a mockery of the 2M down speed.

128kbits uplink is horrid, I decided to use frogprints for the first
time after having used digitalmax for a while. Wanted to see the
difference.. I printed 53 photos and it took over 3 hours to upload
them.. That is crazy..., i was impressed with the quality of frogprints,
they are I believe better than the digitalmax ones I compared them with
but also more expensive..

colinco

In article Matthew Poole says...
> Everything I've ever seen regarding speeds has said it's a maximum of
> 640kbps upstream.

A lot of that info refers to early US implementations possibly not even
DMT.

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:

>Check out my usage on a 2M / 128kbps connection over the
> last few weeks:

Eeek! Missed out the leading 'h' on that, let me correct it:

> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1142813285.jpg

That's better.

--
~Shaun~