Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > webmail interface

webmail interface

John in Surrey

Hi folks
I have hosting at freeparking.
The webmail interface of sqiirrle mail is crappy compared with most
webmail interfaces at most ISP's.
Does anyone know of some HTML/ script interface I could use. I have
sql and cgi with my hosting account.

Images of home (NZ)
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

Shane

John in Surrey wrote:

> Hi folks
> I have hosting at freeparking.
> The webmail interface of sqiirrle mail is crappy compared with most
> webmail interfaces at most ISP's.
> Does anyone know of some HTML/ script interface I could use. I have
> sql and cgi with my hosting account.
>

> Images of home (NZ)
> http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
> What we are up to in the UK
> http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

Hi John
I like squirrel mail but if you prefer something a little more slick,
are you in a position to install and configure horde?
Its a better interface but far more difficult to install/ configure
http://wiki.horde.org/FAQ/Admin/Prer...Q%2FAdmin#toc4
What does Horde need to run?

Horde itself requires the following:

* A web server, such as Apache
* PHP.
o Horde 2.0 requires PHP 4.1.0, or PHP 4.0.6 with a manually
upgraded PEAR.
o Horde 2.1 requires PHP 4.1.0 to 4.2.x, with at least 4.1.2
recommended
o Horde 2.2 require version 4.1.0 or better, with 4.3.0
recommended
o Horde 3.x and the CVS code requires version 4.3.0 or better.
o PHP 4.2.1 and above have missing modules from PEAR, which must
be manually installed. See horde/docs/INSTALL for more information.
o PHP 4.2.3 has some problems with the imap routines, and may
cause problems. We recommend you not use 4.2.3
* Horde 2.0 and higher require the PHP extensions gettext and xml.
* Horde 3.0 and higher require the PHP extensions gettext, xml, and
domxml (or dom with PHP 5).

Horde can use the following, although they are not required:

* A secure, SSL-enabled webserver (such as Apache with mod_ssl)
* One of the following databases:
o MySQL
o PostgreSQL
o Oracle
o MS-SQL
o SQLite
o Sybase
o Informix
o Any database supported by the PEAR DB package
* An LDAP directory.
* Even more PHP extensions. See horde/docs/INSTALL for more information.

It should be noted that while a database is not technically required, it is
strongly recommended. Development takes place on a systems with databases,
and the majority of Horde users do the same.
HTH

Stu Fleming

John in Surrey wrote:
> Hi folks
> I have hosting at freeparking.
> The webmail interface of sqiirrle mail is crappy compared with most
> webmail interfaces at most ISP's.
> Does anyone know of some HTML/ script interface I could use. I have
> sql and cgi with my hosting account.

Rouncubemail is worth a look.
http://www.roundcube.net

John in Surrey

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:06:37 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>Hi John
>I like squirrel mail but if you prefer something a little more slick,

Its just the webmail interface is clunky compared with say, IHUG's
webmail.
We are often over in europe somewhere - (has anyone tried using a
french keyboard?)
So Im just after an interface to sit on top, I dont think freeparking
are going to allow me to install my own server..

thanks
john