Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > UNIX person req'd, ChCh, to copy files to CDR

UNIX person req'd, ChCh, to copy files to CDR

Dave Doe

Hi,

Is there anyone reading this that can provide some support for a client
that requires their old WP files to be written to CDR - in Christchurch?

The OS (could get more details on Monday) is: UNIX (Sun UNIX I think).
The client Wyse terminals logon to a Wordperfect Shell.

The Server PC is a 200MZ PC w' tape backup and CD. I am hoping that the
OS could support a CDR - and we could swap in a CDR and burn a CD with
the files on it. I doubt I could read the tape via a Windows PC - but
don't know for sure.

You can contact me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (this email address will
be deleted in a few weeks or if it gets spam, whichever comes first

--
Duncan

thingy@nowhere.commy

Dave Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone reading this that can provide some support for a client
> that requires their old WP files to be written to CDR - in Christchurch?
>
> The OS (could get more details on Monday) is: UNIX (Sun UNIX I think).
> The client Wyse terminals logon to a Wordperfect Shell.
>
> The Server PC is a 200MZ PC w' tape backup and CD. I am hoping that the
> OS could support a CDR - and we could swap in a CDR and burn a CD with
> the files on it. I doubt I could read the tape via a Windows PC - but
> don't know for sure.
>
> You can contact me at (E-Mail Removed) (this email address will
> be deleted in a few weeks or if it gets spam, whichever comes first

More likely to be SCO Unix since this "200Mhz PC" suggests an Intel box,
plus you have word perfect (could be pre-sco, ie Microsoft's Unix) but I
could be wrong. It could be SUN OS but that is very very old. A sun
spec'd box of that era cpu speed (an ULTRA 2) is going to be scsi based
and the OS too old for a scsi cdr...it will have a 4 speed narrow scsi CD...

Lots of Unixes use tar so you may find the tape is readable in Linux at
least. I wouldnt bet on its ability to support cdrs but you never know...

What sort of tapes?

regards

Thing

~misfit~

(E-Mail Removed)y wrote:
> Dave Doe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anyone reading this that can provide some support for a
>> client that requires their old WP files to be written to CDR - in
>> Christchurch? The OS (could get more details on Monday) is: UNIX (Sun
>> UNIX I
>> think). The client Wyse terminals logon to a Wordperfect Shell.
>>
>> The Server PC is a 200MZ PC w' tape backup and CD. I am hoping that
>> the OS could support a CDR - and we could swap in a CDR and burn a
>> CD with the files on it. I doubt I could read the tape via a
>> Windows PC - but don't know for sure.
>>
>> You can contact me at (E-Mail Removed) (this email address
>> will be deleted in a few weeks or if it gets spam, whichever comes
>> first

> More likely to be SCO Unix since this "200Mhz PC" suggests an Intel
> box, plus you have word perfect (could be pre-sco, ie Microsoft's
> Unix) but I could be wrong. It could be SUN OS but that is very very
> old. A sun spec'd box of that era cpu speed (an ULTRA 2) is going to be
> scsi
> based and the OS too old for a scsi cdr...it will have a 4 speed narrow
> scsi CD...
> Lots of Unixes use tar so you may find the tape is readable in Linux
> at least. I wouldnt bet on its ability to support cdrs but you never
> know...
> What sort of tapes?

Christchurch is a long way away. I have an old Yamaha SCSI CD writer (4 x 4
x 16) that still works that I've used as an external reader on a Sun box. I
guess it would write too with the right software?
--
~Shaun~

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)y says...
> Dave Doe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anyone reading this that can provide some support for a client
> > that requires their old WP files to be written to CDR - in Christchurch?
> >
> > The OS (could get more details on Monday) is: UNIX (Sun UNIX I think).
> > The client Wyse terminals logon to a Wordperfect Shell.
> >
> > The Server PC is a 200MZ PC w' tape backup and CD. I am hoping that the
> > OS could support a CDR - and we could swap in a CDR and burn a CD with
> > the files on it. I doubt I could read the tape via a Windows PC - but
> > don't know for sure.
> >
> > You can contact me at (E-Mail Removed) (this email address will
> > be deleted in a few weeks or if it gets spam, whichever comes first
> >

> More likely to be SCO Unix since this "200Mhz PC" suggests an Intel box,

Yep, now that you mention it - I think it is SCO UNIX. Can you help?

--
Duncan

Mark Robinson

Dave Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone reading this that can provide some support for a client
> that requires their old WP files to be written to CDR - in Christchurch?
>
> The OS (could get more details on Monday) is: UNIX (Sun UNIX I think).
> The client Wyse terminals logon to a Wordperfect Shell.
>
> The Server PC is a 200MZ PC w' tape backup and CD. I am hoping that the
> OS could support a CDR - and we could swap in a CDR and burn a CD with
> the files on it. I doubt I could read the tape via a Windows PC - but
> don't know for sure.
>
> You can contact me at (E-Mail Removed) (this email address will
> be deleted in a few weeks or if it gets spam, whichever comes first

Perhaps you can get at the machine over the network from another (live linux cd
?) machine and burn there.

Sorry - I'm not in Chch.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:39:27 +1300, (E-Mail Removed)y wrote:

> Lots of Unixes use tar so you may find the tape is readable in Linux at
> least. I wouldnt bet on its ability to support cdrs but you never know...

Or he could set up a NFS server on the UNIX box and a NFS client on a
Linux box and do all the cd burning from the Linux box.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

-=rjh=-

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:39:27 +1300, (E-Mail Removed)y wrote:
>
>> Lots of Unixes use tar so you may find the tape is readable in Linux at
>> least. I wouldnt bet on its ability to support cdrs but you never know...

> Or he could set up a NFS server on the UNIX box and a NFS client on a
> Linux box and do all the cd burning from the Linux box.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

You are assuming a network, the OP makes no mention of that. I think
these systems are commonly standalone (and for good reason), the Wyse
terminals are serial.

I would have thought that the best option is to try to write to tape,
isn't tar a pseudo standard? Should be accessible from Windows or Linux
with a compatible tape drive fitted. Maybe.

The other option is to write to floppies (depending the number of files
involved) as although the process when I last used SCO Unix to do this
is convoluted, it does work.

thingy@nowhere.commy

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)y says...
>
>>Dave Doe wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is there anyone reading this that can provide some support for a client
>>>that requires their old WP files to be written to CDR - in Christchurch?
>>>
>>>The OS (could get more details on Monday) is: UNIX (Sun UNIX I think).
>>>The client Wyse terminals logon to a Wordperfect Shell.
>>>
>>>The Server PC is a 200MZ PC w' tape backup and CD. I am hoping that the
>>>OS could support a CDR - and we could swap in a CDR and burn a CD with
>>>the files on it. I doubt I could read the tape via a Windows PC - but
>>>don't know for sure.
>>>
>>>You can contact me at (E-Mail Removed) (this email address will
>>>be deleted in a few weeks or if it gets spam, whichever comes first
>>>

>>More likely to be SCO Unix since this "200Mhz PC" suggests an Intel box,

> Yep, now that you mention it - I think it is SCO UNIX. Can you help?

Nope in Wellington, and I dont know sco very well.

Can you get a command line shell?

Does it have a working network card?

ftp in?

I am not sure what file system SCO uses but if all else fails I would
install Linux on small IDE drive, take disk to site, open the box, move
the master disk to the slave channel, install the drive as master and
boot......from there mount the sco partition(s) and copy the data across
to the ide disk. Remove drive, re-install in a box or a ext usb case and
away you go.

Other possibilities are Linux cdrom based distributions...

I have done this on dying fat/ntfs hard drives never on a sco one though.

There should be sco (ex-)re-sellers somewhere in CHCH who could help....

regards

Thing

thingy@nowhere.commy

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:39:27 +1300, (E-Mail Removed)y wrote:
>

>>Lots of Unixes use tar so you may find the tape is readable in Linux at
>>least. I wouldnt bet on its ability to support cdrs but you never know...

> Or he could set up a NFS server on the UNIX box and a NFS client on a
> Linux box and do all the cd burning from the Linux box.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Assuming he has a network card, it could be all serial lines....I have
seen those as POS (point of sale) things very common to use SCO
unix...with say 16 terminals....even 32....

I did a Linux box about 5 years ago replacing a SCO (Xenix) one, 16 bit
ISA card with a 16 port serial "black box" (Digi Card?) bolted onto it
externally running to wyse terminals, RH 5.0 I think it was.....

Also setting up anything on SCO is hard work, its nothing like other
Linux/Unixes.....it is real odd....

regards

Thing

thingy@nowhere.commy

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:39:27 +1300, (E-Mail Removed)y wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of Unixes use tar so you may find the tape is readable in Linux
>>> at least. I wouldnt bet on its ability to support cdrs but you never
>>> know...

>> Or he could set up a NFS server on the UNIX box and a NFS client on a
>> Linux box and do all the cd burning from the Linux box.
>>

>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>

> You are assuming a network, the OP makes no mention of that. I think
> these systems are commonly standalone (and for good reason), the Wyse
> terminals are serial.
>
> I would have thought that the best option is to try to write to tape,
> isn't tar a pseudo standard? Should be accessible from Windows or Linux
> with a compatible tape drive fitted. Maybe.
>
> The other option is to write to floppies (depending the number of files
> involved) as although the process when I last used SCO Unix to do this
> is convoluted, it does work.

I would expect tar on a sco box but you never know...assuming a dds1 or
2 tape it should be readable via Linux with a similar drive, dds3s and
dds4s should read backwards, even DLTs.

regards

Thing