Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cheaper Faster Broadband

Cheaper Faster Broadband

Vista

Does anyone know why upload speeds for 'broadband' will decrease in speed
when xtra brings out their new plans? It used to be 192, and now it is going
to 128, unless you opt to one of their more expensive plans. I am going to
be doing a lot of uploading, so it definitely isn't going to be cheaper and
faster for me when the new plans are rolled out.

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:25 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
scrawl:

> Does anyone know why upload speeds for 'broadband' will decrease in speed
> when xtra brings out their new plans? It used to be 192, and now it is going
> to 128

*SNIP*

It was 192kbps on Xtra for a short period of time, until the entirely
reasonable howls from every other ISP caught up with Telescum. Those howls
were brought about by the fact that ONLY Xtra customers could get that
192 upstream, everyone else was stuck with 128.
So, it's not dropping at all. It's staying where it's been all along - at
a pathetic, non-broadband level.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Crash

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:25 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
> scrawl:
>

>>Does anyone know why upload speeds for 'broadband' will decrease in speed
>>when xtra brings out their new plans? It used to be 192, and now it is going
>>to 128

> *SNIP*
>
> It was 192kbps on Xtra for a short period of time, until the entirely
> reasonable howls from every other ISP caught up with Telescum. Those howls
> were brought about by the fact that ONLY Xtra customers could get that
> 192 upstream, everyone else was stuck with 128.
> So, it's not dropping at all. It's staying where it's been all along - at
> a pathetic, non-broadband level.

I am on the 'swift' plan - a plan no longer sold but it offered 192kb/s up and
10mb/s down. If my speed has been changed I have never been told - is there any
way to tell? My modem reports 320 kb/sec up and 4707 kb/sec down so that is no use.

Crash.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:55:54 +1300, Crash wrote:

> I am on the 'swift' plan - a plan no longer sold but it offered 192kb/s
> up and 10mb/s down. If my speed has been changed I have never been told
> - is there any way to tell? My modem reports 320 kb/sec up and 4707
> kb/sec down so that is no use.

If the maximum speed of DSL is 8mb/s, how can you possibly get 10mb/s?

Also, if you are supposed to be getting 10mb/s then why is your modem only
showing a speed of 4707kb/s

> Crash.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

-=rjh=-

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:25 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
> scrawl:
>
>> Does anyone know why upload speeds for 'broadband' will decrease in speed
>> when xtra brings out their new plans? It used to be 192, and now it is going
>> to 128

> *SNIP*
>
> It was 192kbps on Xtra for a short period of time, until the entirely
> reasonable howls from every other ISP caught up with Telescum. Those howls
> were brought about by the fact that ONLY Xtra customers could get that
> 192 upstream, everyone else was stuck with 128.
> So, it's not dropping at all. It's staying where it's been all along - at
> a pathetic, non-broadband level.

So, you are saying that Telecom are so bloody-minded that they would
rather decrease their service to their own customers, rather than let
other ISPs get hold of the same service.

The effect of the 128Kbps upload limit must be very important to Telecom
for them to do this - or is their network just far worse than anyone
else knows?

JohnO

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Matthew Poole wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:25 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
> > scrawl:
> >
> >> Does anyone know why upload speeds for 'broadband' will decrease in speed
> >> when xtra brings out their new plans? It used to be 192, and now it is going
> >> to 128

> > *SNIP*
> >
> > It was 192kbps on Xtra for a short period of time, until the entirely
> > reasonable howls from every other ISP caught up with Telescum. Those howls
> > were brought about by the fact that ONLY Xtra customers could get that
> > 192 upstream, everyone else was stuck with 128.
> > So, it's not dropping at all. It's staying where it's been all along - at
> > a pathetic, non-broadband level.
> >

> So, you are saying that Telecom are so bloody-minded that they would
> rather decrease their service to their own customers, rather than let
> other ISPs get hold of the same service.
>
> The effect of the 128Kbps upload limit must be very important to Telecom
> for them to do this - or is their network just far worse than anyone
> else knows?

They are probably just trying to hobble PTP and VOIP

Reg

I have a telecom account that costs me 59.95 a month - dunno what it is
called.
I have just run a test and got the following
current bandwidth reading according to nzdsl.co.nz:
2.00 Mbps (2049 kbps )
"which means you can download at 256.13 KB/sec..."

I have just done an upload to a server in the USA and my FTP client reported
and upload speed of 180Kbps. The file uploaded about the speed it usually
does so I guess this is about average for what I get uploading.

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matthew Poole wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:44:25 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
>> scrawl:
>>
>>> Does anyone know why upload speeds for 'broadband' will decrease in
>>> speed when xtra brings out their new plans? It used to be 192, and now
>>> it is going to 128

>> *SNIP*
>>
>> It was 192kbps on Xtra for a short period of time, until the entirely
>> reasonable howls from every other ISP caught up with Telescum. Those
>> howls
>> were brought about by the fact that ONLY Xtra customers could get that
>> 192 upstream, everyone else was stuck with 128.
>> So, it's not dropping at all. It's staying where it's been all along - at
>> a pathetic, non-broadband level.
>>

> So, you are saying that Telecom are so bloody-minded that they would
> rather decrease their service to their own customers, rather than let
> other ISPs get hold of the same service.
>
> The effect of the 128Kbps upload limit must be very important to Telecom
> for them to do this - or is their network just far worse than anyone else
> knows?

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:39:00 +1300, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
scrawl:

> Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
> So, you are saying that Telecom are so bloody-minded that they would
> rather decrease their service to their own customers, rather than let
> other ISPs get hold of the same service.

That's precisely what I'm saying. What's rather sad is that they were
legally able to get away with such a move in the first place - offering
better speeds to their own customers than to their wholesale partners
is absolutely illegal in nearly any other country with a developed
telecommunications industry.

> The effect of the 128Kbps upload limit must be very important to Telecom
> for them to do this - or is their network just far worse than anyone
> else knows?

The law states an upstream of 128kbps for the UBS product - allegedly
because it was deemed necessary to protect Telecon from competitive from
VoIP services - so they obviously decided that it was better to shaft
their own customers than risk tough questions about why they pushed for a
128kbps upstream in legislation but were happy to give their customers
something half as fast again.

--

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:39:00 +1300, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
> scrawl:
>
>> Matthew Poole wrote:

> *SNIP*
>> So, you are saying that Telecom are so bloody-minded that they would
>> rather decrease their service to their own customers, rather than let
>> other ISPs get hold of the same service.
>>

> That's precisely what I'm saying. What's rather sad is that they were
> legally able to get away with such a move in the first place - offering
> better speeds to their own customers than to their wholesale partners
> is absolutely illegal in nearly any other country with a developed
> telecommunications industry.
>
>> The effect of the 128Kbps upload limit must be very important to Telecom
>> for them to do this - or is their network just far worse than anyone
>> else knows?

> The law states an upstream of 128kbps for the UBS product - allegedly
> because it was deemed necessary to protect Telecon from competitive from
> VoIP services - so they obviously decided that it was better to shaft
> their own customers than risk tough questions about why they pushed for a
> 128kbps upstream in legislation but were happy to give their customers
> something half as fast again.

And the Commerce Commission went along with this? Amazing!

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:33:21 +1300, someone purporting to be -=rjh=- didst
scrawl:

> Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
>> The law states an upstream of 128kbps for the UBS product - allegedly
>> because it was deemed necessary to protect Telecon from competitive from
>> VoIP services - so they obviously decided that it was better to shaft
>> their own customers than risk tough questions about why they pushed for a
>> 128kbps upstream in legislation but were happy to give their customers
>> something half as fast again.
>>

> And the Commerce Commission went along with this? Amazing!

I don't think they had much say in it, really. I'm not sure who got the
128kbps restriction put into law, but my guess would be that it came as
the result of lots of whinging at the hands of a certain major telco whose
name starts with T and ends with elecom.
Once it was in the law, the ComCom can't do anything about it, they can
only enforce it as required. It's bloody stupid, and I think that it will
be one of the provisions that will certainly be stripped out in the review.