Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Connection

Wireless Connection

Leroy

A few months ago borugh a wireless card and a wireless router but I call Linksy about 3 times but I could not get the router to work. Then I was talking to tech from Linksy and she said to me to tell her everything that was on the routers box and we find that router was not a wireless router, it was a wired router in which I had purchased from dell. and I told the saleperson that I wanted a wireless router. Can someone please explain to to me the right wireless router and what cables that I need to hookup 2 computer and what wireless card that I need. Thank you very much.

--
Leroy

=?Utf-8?B?bm9vb2tvbWlz?=

Leroy,
linksys wireless G 2.4 Broadband Router is what I use. I also purchased an
additional booster antenia. You need cat 5 cables if you are going to hook up
for the first time...then after that you should be able go go wireless on any
laptop ordesk pc that has a wireless adaptor.

Good Luck

"Leroy" wrote:

> A few months ago borugh a wireless card and a wireless router but I call Linksy about 3 times but I could not get the router to work. Then I was talking to tech from Linksy and she said to me to tell her everything that was on the routers box and we find that router was not a wireless router, it was a wired router in which I had purchased from dell. and I told the saleperson that I wanted a wireless router. Can someone please explain to to me the right wireless router and what cables that I need to hookup 2 computer and what wireless card that I need. Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Leroy

Lem

Leroy wrote:
> A few months ago borugh a wireless card and a wireless router but I call
> Linksy about 3 times but I could not get the router to work. Then I was
> talking to tech from Linksy and she said to me to tell her everything
> that was on the routers box and we find that router was not a wireless
> router, it was a wired router in which I had purchased from dell. and I
> told the saleperson that I wanted a wireless router. Can someone please
> explain to to me the right wireless router and what cables that I need
> to hookup 2 computer and what wireless card that I need. Thank you
> very much.
>
> --
> Leroy

Leroy,

Without knowing what you already have, it's difficult to tell you what
to get. Basically you need 4 things. You don't have to buy Linksys,
but because you already have, I've used Linksys models below. Also see
"Home Networking Basics" at http://tinyurl.com/eczd7 which is a Linksys
Flash tutorial in setting up your home network.

1. You need some means to connect to your broadband ISP (cable or DSL).
These devices are often called "cable modems" or "DSL modems."
Sometimes, a router (maybe or maybe not wireless) is combined with a
cable or DSL modem in one piece of equipment. Let's assume (a) that you
have cable or DSL access without any kind of router. Let's further
assume (b) that your cable or DSL modem is connected to one of your
computers with an "Ethernet cable." The plugs on the end of this cable
look like the plugs on telephone cables (but they're a little wider).

2. You need a router, and you want a wireless router. If both
assumptions (a) and (b) in paragraph 1 are true, then you can buy a
standard wireless router, such as the Linksys WRT54G
(http://tinyurl.com/apyvk) This is Linksys' basic wireless router
model. You can get fancier/faster models, but you don't need to. You
connect your cable or DSL modem to this router with the same cable that
you had been using to connect your cable or DSL router to your computer.
When you are first configuring the router, you will also connect it to
one of your computers with a second Ethernet cable. This is included in
the retail package.

3. You need something at each computer to wirelessly communicate with
the router. There are basically 4 options.

(a) If one of your computers is a laptop, it may already have
built-in wireless capability. You will have to read the documentation
that came with the laptop to know. If you've lost the documentation, go
to the website of the manufacturer and download it. There are other
ways to tell if you have a built-in wireless, but it's best to have your
manual.
(b) If one of your computers is a laptop, but it doesn't have
bulit-in wireless, then you could buy a wireless PCMCIA card. Linksys
calls this a "notebook adapater" and the basic model is WPC54G
http://tinyurl.com/apyvk
(c) If one of your computers is a desktop, you can buy a PCI
card. The Linksys model of this is WMP54G http://tinyurl.com/me5yu The
catches with this product are that you have to open your desktop to
install it, and after you install it, the antenna is in the back of your
computer, probably not in the optimum location for maximum range.
(d) For either a laptop or a desktop, you can buy a USB wireless
adapter. The base Linksys model is WUSB54G http://tinyurl.com/n5vn6
This connects to your computer with a USB cable, which is included in
the retail package. The only catch with this product is that the
computer to which you attach it (desktop or laptop) must have an
available USB port. As Linksys says, "(It's compatible with both USB
1.1 and 2.0 ports, but 2.0 will yield the fastest speeds.)" Again,
check you computer's documentation to determine what kind of USB ports
you have. USB ports are rectangular, about 1/2 by 1/8 inch. See
http://stuffguide.howstuffworks.com/laptop-usb.htm for pictures of USB
and Ethernet ports.

4. You will also need one of the 4 options in #3 above for your second
computer.

Leroy

I have 2 computers so each computer needs a wireless adaptor on it.
"noookomis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Leroy,
> linksys wireless G 2.4 Broadband Router is what I use. I also purchased an
> additional booster antenia. You need cat 5 cables if you are going to hook
> up
> for the first time...then after that you should be able go go wireless on
> any
> laptop ordesk pc that has a wireless adaptor.
>
> Good Luck
>
> "Leroy" wrote:
>
>> A few months ago borugh a wireless card and a wireless router but I call
>> Linksy about 3 times but I could not get the router to work. Then I was
>> talking to tech from Linksy and she said to me to tell her everything
>> that was on the routers box and we find that router was not a wireless
>> router, it was a wired router in which I had purchased from dell. and I
>> told the saleperson that I wanted a wireless router. Can someone please
>> explain to to me the right wireless router and what cables that I need to
>> hookup 2 computer and what wireless card that I need. Thank you very
>> much.
>>
>> --
>> Leroy

=?Utf-8?B?bm9vb2tvbWlz?=

Yes each computer will have a wireless adaptor .... Good Luck Leroy