Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Orcon Pricing

Reply
Thread Tools

New Orcon Pricing

 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
Matthew Poole wrote:

> Well, they were below us when the OECD last released a broadband report.
> Somehow I don't think they will be there when the next one comes out.
> Plus, pointing at one country doesn't change the overall validity of the
> observation. We're 22/30, 28 of which have LLU. Mexico is the other
> country that doesn't, and they're one of the eight countries below us -
> several of which are formerly of the Soviet bloc, which doesn't bode well
> for the general quality of their infrastructure in the first place.


20ish years of spending virtually nothing on replacing the local loop also leave
it in a very sorry state, so the comparison with the soviet countries is quite
valid

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
RJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <441a8cfe$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Deck wrote:
>> > "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>> >>
>> >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>> >>
>> >> Waituke
>> >
>> > i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
>> > with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
>> > I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
>> > of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
>> > If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
>> > more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
>> > can someone explain pls ?
>> >
>> >

>> As ever, by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much you can download,
>> by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much and how fast you can upload,
>> and by Nanny Telecom's outdated, unwanted and unnecessary data caps.

>
>Telstraclear has data caps on their own cable so there
>
>FLat rate is greedy moron territory
>I remember Ihug offering flat rate satellite, did not last as the usueal
>morons decided they were going to have unlimited massive downloads non
>stop day and night using up 90% of the bandwidth
>
>So to say data caps are unnececessary is total crap



What a load of S..T you speak . How come most of the northern hem has
no data caps or very large ones like 80gig??
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
s.t.e.v.e.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
waituke wrote:

> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>
> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>
> Waituke


Their new pricing is because Telecom has changed the wholesale
pricing.....or so they say.

It appears to have effectively doubled.

So much for Telecom's promises of cheaper broadband......yet again.

Anyone here who still believes a word Telecom says after all these years of
deceit?






 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
"Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Let's see. Currently I pay $49.95 a month for a 256/128k uncapped
> service. With the 'new and improved' services, that same plan would
> cost me $109.95. As it is, Orcon will bump me automatically to a
> 256/128k 40Gb plan for $59.95. Either I pay more for less or more than
> twice what I was for the same service. That's why it's a rip off.


I don't see how it is a rip off (from Orcon anyway), their costs have
increased and they are passing on the increased costs to the customers - as
pretty much all businesses do.

I have looked at the E-Mail from Orcon and at the 'New Broadband Plans' on
Orcon's website, I can't find anywhere where Orcon describe them as
improved.

You pay more and get less? Boohoo, I pay more money for less petrol too,
that is just the way **** goes sometimes.

If you want to know where the rip off is then look at Telecom, they are
abusing their monopoly position to restrict the level of service and
maximise their profits. Many countries around the world regulate utility
companies that are in a monopoly position so that the citizens don't get
screwed over, I hope that one day we will see the same thing.


--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
"The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
Maskerade
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cXRSf.63753$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Let's see. Currently I pay $49.95 a month for a 256/128k uncapped
>> service. With the 'new and improved' services, that same plan would
>> cost me $109.95. As it is, Orcon will bump me automatically to a
>> 256/128k 40Gb plan for $59.95. Either I pay more for less or more than
>> twice what I was for the same service. That's why it's a rip off.

>
> I don't see how it is a rip off (from Orcon anyway), their costs have
> increased and they are passing on the increased costs to the customers -
> as
> pretty much all businesses do.
>
> I have looked at the E-Mail from Orcon and at the 'New Broadband Plans' on
> Orcon's website, I can't find anywhere where Orcon describe them as
> improved.
>
> You pay more and get less? Boohoo, I pay more money for less petrol too,
> that is just the way **** goes sometimes.
>
> If you want to know where the rip off is then look at Telecom, they are
> abusing their monopoly position to restrict the level of service and
> maximise their profits. Many countries around the world regulate utility
> companies that are in a monopoly position so that the citizens don't get
> screwed over, I hope that one day we will see the same thing.
>
>
> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)


Ok... so if the price of petrol more than doubled you would be fine with
that?

Yes, I agree Telecom are an issue here, but as I understand it (and I admit
I could be wrong) Orcon didn't have to accept the new agreement.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nova
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
MarkH wrote:
> "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Let's see. Currently I pay $49.95 a month for a 256/128k uncapped
>> service. With the 'new and improved' services, that same plan would
>> cost me $109.95. As it is, Orcon will bump me automatically to a
>> 256/128k 40Gb plan for $59.95. Either I pay more for less or more than
>> twice what I was for the same service. That's why it's a rip off.

>
> I don't see how it is a rip off (from Orcon anyway), their costs have
> increased and they are passing on the increased costs to the customers - as
> pretty much all businesses do.
>
> I have looked at the E-Mail from Orcon and at the 'New Broadband Plans' on
> Orcon's website, I can't find anywhere where Orcon describe them as
> improved.
>
> You pay more and get less? Boohoo, I pay more money for less petrol too,
> that is just the way **** goes sometimes.
>
> If you want to know where the rip off is then look at Telecom, they are
> abusing their monopoly position to restrict the level of service and
> maximise their profits. Many countries around the world regulate utility
> companies that are in a monopoly position so that the citizens don't get
> screwed over, I hope that one day we will see the same thing.
>
>


The question I asked Orcon and never got a reply, was if they had not
accepted Telecoms new plans.. would they have still been given 10 gigs
allowance per user instead of being dropped down to 3 or 4 with the new
offerings..
Does anyone know this?

If that is the case, then why would Orcon who lured all the high traffic
users to their userbase choose to go with something that they know will
cost them more to provide a lot of data?


Also, everyone keeps saying watch the other ISP's prices over the next
few weeks as they will likely increase, but if ISP's such as Ihug
haven't accepted the offerings why would their prices change? or are
Telecom forcing changes onto ihug also with regard to the old plans?

One other thing, Orcon have pointed out a few times that by accepting
telecoms new offerings that by no means excludes them from approaching
the Commerce Commission, so if Ihug battle it out and get a great deal
through regulation, does that just mean Orcon can say "i'll have that
too thanks" or would they have to go through the whole process
themselves? I assume it would be very fast as the ruling would have
already been made etc.





 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> One other thing, Orcon have pointed out a few times that by accepting
> telecoms new offerings that by no means excludes them from approaching
> the Commerce Commission, so if Ihug battle it out and get a great deal
> through regulation, does that just mean Orcon can say "i'll have that
> too thanks"


I would almost guarantee that they could do that. Once one ISP has a
certain deal then all the rest can just ask to be given the same deal, it
would not be worth Telecom's time to argue about it.



--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
"The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
Maskerade
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:14:21 +1300, Matthew Poole wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:01:27 +1300, someone purporting to be RJ didst
> scrawl:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...

> *SNIP*
>>>
>>> So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
>>> to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings?

>>
>> Theyre not an Island miles from anywhree

>
> So? We have an absolutely enormous fibre cable connecting us to the US and
> Australia. One that's fully paid for, and has capacity going begging. What
> does being an island that's 1200km from its nearest neighbour have to do
> with the price of fish?


he probably thinks we have to load the data on a transport ship in
boxes.....


--

.... Brendan

#125283 +(6219)- [X]

<Jeedo> hey baby, whats up?
<Indidge> umm....nothing?
<Jeedo> So....want me to like come over today so we can ****?
<Indidge> Wait....did you want to speak to my daughter?
<Jeedo> Yes Mrs.Miller.. :-/


Note: All my comments are copyright 19/03/2006 12:15:02 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2006
Steve wrote:
> "MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cXRSf.63753$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Let's see. Currently I pay $49.95 a month for a 256/128k uncapped
>>> service. With the 'new and improved' services, that same plan would
>>> cost me $109.95. As it is, Orcon will bump me automatically to a
>>> 256/128k 40Gb plan for $59.95. Either I pay more for less or more than
>>> twice what I was for the same service. That's why it's a rip off.

>> I don't see how it is a rip off (from Orcon anyway), their costs have
>> increased and they are passing on the increased costs to the customers -
>> as
>> pretty much all businesses do.
>>
>> I have looked at the E-Mail from Orcon and at the 'New Broadband Plans' on
>> Orcon's website, I can't find anywhere where Orcon describe them as
>> improved.
>>
>> You pay more and get less? Boohoo, I pay more money for less petrol too,
>> that is just the way **** goes sometimes.
>>
>> If you want to know where the rip off is then look at Telecom, they are
>> abusing their monopoly position to restrict the level of service and
>> maximise their profits. Many countries around the world regulate utility
>> companies that are in a monopoly position so that the citizens don't get
>> screwed over, I hope that one day we will see the same thing.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)

>
> Ok... so if the price of petrol more than doubled you would be fine with
> that?
>
> Yes, I agree Telecom are an issue here, but as I understand it (and I admit
> I could be wrong) Orcon didn't have to accept the new agreement.
>
>

It already has doubled

it wasnt that long that it was under 80 cents per litre
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOIP development software/SDK - New updates and lower OEM pricing LanScape Sales Staff VOIP 1 11-04-2010 09:51 PM
Orcon's Forums (for orcon users) Nova NZ Computing 13 03-18-2006 12:50 AM
Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL? Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 3 04-29-2005 10:10 PM
changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream Brendan NZ Computing 2 02-25-2005 08:39 AM
VOIP development software/SDK - New updates and lower OEM pricing LanScape Sales Staff VOIP 0 12-05-2004 02:45 PM



Advertisments