Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Orcon Pricing

New Orcon Pricing

RJ

In article <441a8cfe$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Deck wrote:
> > "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
> >>
> >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
> >>
> >> Waituke

> > i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
> > with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
> > I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
> > of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
> > If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
> > more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
> > can someone explain pls ?
> >

> As ever, by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much you can download,
> by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much and how fast you can upload,
> and by Nanny Telecom's outdated, unwanted and unnecessary data caps.

Telstraclear has data caps on their own cable so there

FLat rate is greedy moron territory
I remember Ihug offering flat rate satellite, did not last as the usueal
morons decided they were going to have unlimited massive downloads non
stop day and night using up 90% of the bandwidth

So to say data caps are unnececessary is total crap

sigvald@binet.is

RJ wrote:
> says...
> > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
> > news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
> >

> > > "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > *SNIP*
> > >
> > > hey, nz is a low population density country,

> > So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
> > to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings?

> Theyre not an Island miles from anywhree

How about Iceland with an even greater coverage than Finland and a much
sparser population?

Jason Fanning

Matthew Poole wrote:

> NZ and Mexico are the only two countries in the OECD that don't have an
> unbundled local loop, which suggests that every other country did, in
> fact, sell off the infrastructure.
> Part of the reason Australia is so far down the list is that it's only
> just going through the process of unbundling from Telstra at the moment.

LLU won't get you much, Ireland has it and they are in the position as NZ

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:01:26 +1300 when I remembered RJ

>> Here's a clue: T*l*c*m NZ.

>SO who owns the rest

Try Google. From
http://www.pacificislands.cc/pm12001...articleid=0010

Southern Cross Cable ownership is distributed among cable developers:
Telecom New Zealand, which owns 50 percent; Cable & Wireless Optus, 40
percent; and, MCI WorldCom, 10 percent.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Steve

"Deck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dvcqgp$cu4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>>
>> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>>
>> Waituke

> i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
> with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
> I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
> of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
> If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
> more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
> can someone explain pls ?

Good for you, Orcon aren't bending you over like all the people that were on
the flat rate plan.
Let's see. Currently I pay $49.95 a month for a 256/128k uncapped service.
With the 'new and improved' services, that same plan would cost me $109.95.
As it is, Orcon will bump me automatically to a 256/128k 40Gb plan for
$59.95. Either I pay more for less or more than twice what I was for the
same service. That's why it's a rip off.

Cheers.

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:29:07 +0000, someone purporting to be Jason Fanning
didst scrawl:

> Matthew Poole wrote:
>

>> NZ and Mexico are the only two countries in the OECD that don't have an
>> unbundled local loop, which suggests that every other country did, in
>> fact, sell off the infrastructure.
>> Part of the reason Australia is so far down the list is that it's only
>> just going through the process of unbundling from Telstra at the moment.
>>

> LLU won't get you much, Ireland has it and they are in the position as NZ

Well, they were below us when the OECD last released a broadband report.
Somehow I don't think they will be there when the next one comes out.
Plus, pointing at one country doesn't change the overall validity of the
observation. We're 22/30, 28 of which have LLU. Mexico is the other
country that doesn't, and they're one of the eight countries below us -
several of which are formerly of the Soviet bloc, which doesn't bode well
for the general quality of their infrastructure in the first place.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Richard

Deck wrote:

> i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
> with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
> I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
> of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
> If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
> more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
> can someone explain pls ?

Just because you choose not to use the connection to its full capabilities and
it suits you doesnt mean that its a good deal

Matthew Poole

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:01:27 +1300, someone purporting to be RJ didst
scrawl:

> says...

*SNIP*

>> So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
>> to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings?

> Theyre not an Island miles from anywhree

So? We have an absolutely enormous fibre cable connecting us to the US and
Australia. One that's fully paid for, and has capacity going begging. What
does being an island that's 1200km from its nearest neighbour have to do
with the price of fish?

--

RJ wrote:

> Telstraclear has data caps on their own cable so there
>
> FLat rate is greedy moron territory
> I remember Ihug offering flat rate satellite, did not last as the usueal
> morons decided they were going to have unlimited massive downloads non
> stop day and night using up 90% of the bandwidth
>
> So to say data caps are unnececessary is total crap

Why dont they have them in the UK or the states or japan or korea or numerous
other countries, and thats a real connection, not 256k junk that struggles to
get 70-80 gigs per month transfered

~misfit~

RJ wrote:
> In article <441a8cfe$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Deck wrote:
>>> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
>>> with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
>>> I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
>>> of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at
>>> most. If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as
>>> i don't use more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting
>>> ripped-off here? can someone explain pls ?
>>>

>> As ever, by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much you can
>> download, by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much and how fast
>> you can upload, and by Nanny Telecom's outdated, unwanted and
>> unnecessary data caps.

> Telstraclear has data caps on their own cable so there
>
> FLat rate is greedy moron territory
> I remember Ihug offering flat rate satellite, did not last as the
> usueal morons decided they were going to have unlimited massive
> downloads non stop day and night using up 90% of the bandwidth
>
> So to say data caps are unnececessary is total crap

Damn!! A Luddite in a computer group. Bozo-bin time.

<Plonk>

I've never had to plonk so many people in this group as I have in the last
month. What's going on here?
--
~Shaun~