Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Orcon Pricing

New Orcon Pricing

Torrential

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:02:28 +1300, waituke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>
>I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

what if other ISP get the same problem as Orcon from Telescum !

i.e telescum monopoly approach.. what choice do we have anyway!

Vista

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
> news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
>

>> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> *SNIP*
>>
>> hey, nz is a low population density country,

> So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
> to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings? And how
> is it that Canada (1/5 our PD) is at number six? How about how Australia
> (2/15) is at number 17? Worst of all, how is Iceland (also 2/15) at number
> FOUR?!

But their government probably didn't sell their telecommunications
infrastructure off to a private company, like the NZ government did. That is
probably where the main difference is.

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:30:58 +1300, someone purporting to be Vista didst
scrawl:

> "Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
> But their government probably didn't sell their telecommunications
> infrastructure off to a private company, like the NZ government did. That is
> probably where the main difference is.

NZ and Mexico are the only two countries in the OECD that don't have an
unbundled local loop, which suggests that every other country did, in
fact, sell off the infrastructure.
Part of the reason Australia is so far down the list is that it's only
just going through the process of unbundling from Telstra at the moment.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Collector»NZ

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
> news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
>
>> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> *SNIP*
>> hey, nz is a low population density country,

> So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
> to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings? And how
> is it that Canada (1/5 our PD) is at number six? How about how Australia
> (2/15) is at number 17? Worst of all, how is Iceland (also 2/15) at number
> FOUR?!
>
> Sorry, but "low population density" doesn't cut it.
>
>> and, we have a big sea cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

> That was paid for about four years ago. Now it's all maintenance (which is
> quite cheap, relatively speaking) and profit. Mostly profit.

In general Population density dosnt come into it until you expand it further
and see what percentage of the population is in the dense areas compared to the
other areas. NZ is way down there at the bottom when compared to other countries

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:11:02 +1300, someone purporting to be Collector»NZ
didst scrawl:

> Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
> In general Population density dosnt come into it until you expand it further
> and see what percentage of the population is in the dense areas compared to the
> other areas. NZ is way down there at the bottom when compared to other countries

Our sparsely-populated areas are really, really empty, but our main urban
areas are actually quite crowded.
The main urban areas, as at the 2001 Census, had a PD of 5..28/sqkm. That
is top-20 material. Obviously that isn't the whole country, but it was
2.8m people.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:19:02 +1300, someone purporting to be Matthew Poole
didst scrawl:

*SNIP*
> The main urban areas, as at the 2001 Census, had a PD of 5..28/sqkm. That

*SNIP*

err, that'd be 522.8/sqkm.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Philip

Deck wrote:
> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>>
>> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>>
>> Waituke

> i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
> with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
> I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
> of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
> If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
> more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
> can someone explain pls ?

As ever, by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much you can download,
by Nanny Telecom's restrictions on how much and how fast you can upload,
and by Nanny Telecom's outdated, unwanted and unnecessary data caps.

Plus prices that are higher than you'd pay in many other places for a
much better service.

Philip

RJ

In article <4419f568$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> > "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
> >>
> >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
> >>
> >> Waituke

> > hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea
> > cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

> Last I heard it was paid for a while ago already. That should give you some
> idea of the profit margins they're running at.

Bulldust, then once they have paid off the capital cost there is the
maintenanece and ongoing operating costs etc

RJ

In article <441a01ee$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> > "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
> >>
> >> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
> >>
> >> Waituke

> > hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea cable to
> > pay for - what'ya expect?
> >

> Are you saying that Telecom didn't know the population density when they
> bought in? Whatever happened to due diligence?
>
> And by the way, care to remind us who owns 50% of Southern Cross cable?
>
> Here's a clue: T*l*c*m NZ.

SO who owns the rest

RJ

says...
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
> news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:
>

> > "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> *SNIP*
> >
> > hey, nz is a low population density country,

> So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
> to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings?

Theyre not an Island miles from anywhree