Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Orcon Pricing

New Orcon Pricing

waituke

What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is

I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

Waituke

Chris Hope

waituke wrote:

> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>
> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

You'll need to wait and see how much the other ISPs are going to charge
first. I suspect everyone will end up charging more, which will make a
lie out of Telecom's statement that prices are coming down as well as
speeds going up.

news.xtra.co.nz

"waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>
> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>
> Waituke

hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea cable to
pay for - what'ya expect?

Deck

"waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>
> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>
> Waituke

i'm not getting it, why a lot of people are saying its a rip-off.
with the old plan i never go beyond 10Gb a month, the most
I did was 8G, so I'm paying less than $50. with the new cap
of 4G and $10 per 5Gb for excess, I''ll still be paying $50 at most.
If I upgrade to the new 3Mbps plan, its still $50 as long as i don't use
more than 10Gb in a month in total. how am I getting ripped-off here?
can someone explain pls ?

~misfit~

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>>
>> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>>
>> Waituke

> hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea
> cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

Last I heard it was paid for a while ago already. That should give you some
idea of the profit margins they're running at.
--
~Shaun~

bonspiel@orcon.net.nz

Not just that, orcon became user-unfriendly a couple of years ago.

See all you need to know about Helen Klark and the Maoist lezzies who
run NZ at http://bonspiel.orcon.net.nz

No doubt the homos at orcon wil nuke this site, the same as they have
nuked several others without consultation. **** you, Craig. Go into
politics if you want to make a difference. Dishonest asshole.

Vista

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> waituke wrote:
>
>> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>>
>> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP

> You'll need to wait and see how much the other ISPs are going to charge
> first. I suspect everyone will end up charging more, which will make a
> lie out of Telecom's statement that prices are coming down as well as
> speeds going up.
>
> --
> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

Telecoms arguement for that, is that 'on average' broadband prices are
coming down. This is becuase business broadband prices are coming down,
however home broadband prices will stay about the same, or may possibily
rise. The commerce commision have been looking at their advertising.

Vista

"waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>
> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>
> Waituke

I am holding off signing up to broadband, until they go live. Orcon appear
to have changed the goalposts on their plans, and probably many other ISPs
will also follow. Just wondering what happens if an ISP such as slingshot,
who when you sign up to them, they require you to signup to a 12 month
contract, with no alternative contract options, and charge a $100 fee if you
cancel it. As they will have changed the conditions of the contract, in
terms of the product offered and pricing, will the customer be able to
terminate the contract with no penalty? Also what about churn fees, will
these also be waived due to a substantial change into he contract. I suspect
many of these ISPs who offered good deals on broadband, always had the
intention of rising their prices in the future, but just wanted to get a
good client base established first, so they offered excellent deals just to
hook customers in, however the prices they offered were never going to be
sustainable without rising prices.

Philip

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What a rip off Orcons new pricing schedule is
>>
>> I certainly will be looking for a new ISP
>>
>> Waituke

> hey, nz is a low population density country, and, we have a big sea cable to
> pay for - what'ya expect?

Are you saying that Telecom didn't know the population density when they
bought in? Whatever happened to due diligence?

And by the way, care to remind us who owns 50% of Southern Cross cable?

Here's a clue: T*l*c*m NZ.

Philip

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:56:11 +1300, someone purporting to be
news.xtra.co.nz didst scrawl:

> "waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*

> hey, nz is a low population density country,

So, pray tell, how come Finland (with a population density roughly equal
to ours) is at number seven on the last OECD broadband rankings? And how
is it that Canada (1/5 our PD) is at number six? How about how Australia
(2/15) is at number 17? Worst of all, how is Iceland (also 2/15) at number
FOUR?!

Sorry, but "low population density" doesn't cut it.

> and, we have a big sea cable to pay for - what'ya expect?

That was paid for about four years ago. Now it's all maintenance (which is
quite cheap, relatively speaking) and profit. Mostly profit.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."