Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 403 Forbidden: You were denied access because: Access denied by access control list

403 Forbidden: You were denied access because: Access denied by access control list

Southern Kiwi

Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
I can still get emails (OE)
XP, IE 6

No web pages load, can't update virus scanner/spybot or Adaware

Tried deleting the dialup connection and recreating.
Tried creating another user with Admin rights.
Tried restoring to a time before problem.
I have uninstalled Kaazza, and got rid of the lurgies I could with adaware
(with old definitions)

I suspect she created the problem when she downloaded Kazza (don't go
there...)

Thoughts?

--
-- Cheers
Southern Kiwi

krazy Bob

Use firefox perhaps?

i had same problems when trying to connect to my router using IE. i got the
404 or 403 error.

used firefox got it working.
Try this

Open IE, go to tools> internet options> security tab> click custom level or
medium level what ever you have it at, then when have security settings,
scroll right down to the page where you should have user authentication. i
had mine set on anonymous logon. and i got the 403 404 error, i changed it
to automatic logon only within intranet zone and it workd for me.

KB

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
> Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
> I can still get emails (OE)
> XP, IE 6
>
> No web pages load, can't update virus scanner/spybot or Adaware
>
> Tried deleting the dialup connection and recreating.
> Tried creating another user with Admin rights.
> Tried restoring to a time before problem.
> I have uninstalled Kaazza, and got rid of the lurgies I could with adaware
> (with old definitions)
>
> I suspect she created the problem when she downloaded Kazza (don't go
> there...)
>

> Thoughts?
>

> --
> -- Cheers
> Southern Kiwi
> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
> Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
> not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Invisible

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:37:46 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
<southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

>Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
>Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
>I can still get emails (OE)
>XP, IE 6
>
>No web pages load, can't update virus scanner/spybot or Adaware
>
>Tried deleting the dialup connection and recreating.
>Tried creating another user with Admin rights.
>Tried restoring to a time before problem.
>I have uninstalled Kaazza, and got rid of the lurgies I could with adaware
>(with old definitions)
>
>I suspect she created the problem when she downloaded Kazza (don't go
>there...)
>

>Thoughts?

LSPfix might do the trick:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Also, linked for that page is:
http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe - Winsock repair utility designed
for Windows XP

MS site says to create a new ISP connection!

Southern Kiwi

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, but afraid it did not work.
Can't really use Firefox as the owner is a Microslave

Cheers
Paul

"krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wxaSf.6583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use firefox perhaps?
>
> i had same problems when trying to connect to my router using IE. i got
> the 404 or 403 error.
>
> used firefox got it working.
> Try this
>
> Open IE, go to tools> internet options> security tab> click custom level
> or medium level what ever you have it at, then when have security
> settings, scroll right down to the page where you should have user
> authentication. i had mine set on anonymous logon. and i got the 403 404
> error, i changed it to automatic logon only within intranet zone and it
> workd for me.
>
> KB
>
> "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
>> Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
>> I can still get emails (OE)
>> XP, IE 6
>>
>> No web pages load, can't update virus scanner/spybot or Adaware
>>
>> Tried deleting the dialup connection and recreating.
>> Tried creating another user with Admin rights.
>> Tried restoring to a time before problem.
>> I have uninstalled Kaazza, and got rid of the lurgies I could with
>> adaware (with old definitions)
>>
>> I suspect she created the problem when she downloaded Kazza (don't go
>> there...)
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>

>> --
>> -- Cheers
>> Southern Kiwi
>> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
>> Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
>> not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Southern Kiwi

"Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:37:46 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
>>Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
>>I can still get emails (OE)
>>XP, IE 6
>>
>>No web pages load, can't update virus scanner/spybot or Adaware
>>
>>Tried deleting the dialup connection and recreating.
>>Tried creating another user with Admin rights.
>>Tried restoring to a time before problem.
>>I have uninstalled Kaazza, and got rid of the lurgies I could with adaware
>>(with old definitions)
>>
>>I suspect she created the problem when she downloaded Kazza (don't go
>>there...)
>>Thoughts?

> LSPfix might do the trick:
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
>
> Also, linked for that page is:
> http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe - Winsock repair utility
> designed
> for Windows XP
>
> MS site says to create a new ISP connection!

Thanks Invisible, tried LSPfix, no go
Second link is gone
Tried MS suggestion, no change
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Kristofer Clayton

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:37:46 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
<southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

>Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
>Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
>I can still get emails (OE)
>XP, IE 6

Does it say which server's access control list is denying access?

Sounds like a proxy server.

Is there anything in the proxy server settings. They're in Tools /
Internet Options / Connections somewhere. Look under LAN settings and
maybe under the settings for the Dial-Up connection.. if there's any
proxy stuff enabled, turn it off.
--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Southern Kiwi

"Kristofer Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:37:46 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Not my 'puter, fixing for friend
>>Dell Laptop gets the message in the subject line when connecting.......
>>I can still get emails (OE)
>>XP, IE 6

> Does it say which server's access control list is denying access?
>
> Sounds like a proxy server.
>
> Is there anything in the proxy server settings. They're in Tools /
> Internet Options / Connections somewhere. Look under LAN settings and
> maybe under the settings for the Dial-Up connection.. if there's any
> proxy stuff enabled, turn it off.
> --

I have since found the problem.
The owner of the computer is with Slingshot and paying her account will
alleviate the problem (hehe)
It would have been nice if Slingshot had re directed her to a page with a
message saying as much.....